Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make your business GREEN?

Options
  • 11-04-2011 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

We are currently in the process of setting up a new business. We aim to produce a new product in the sports/running accessories market. Our product is a simple water carrying container which straps to the runner/walker's wrist.

We wish to use an Irish Supplier and use recycled materials to make the product.

We will initially operate from a small premises in Monaghan, using it to conduct all business practices: communicating with customers, assembling of the product, storage and distribution, website maintenance and general admin work.

We believe this is essentially a green product as it replaces the need for a runner to use multiple water bottles. Aside from using recycled materials, has anybody any tips as to how we could improve our business' green credentials??

Any feedback, positive or critical would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Hi Ccarl,

purely from a techy viewpoint, alot of servers/pcs are now being sold as "green" solutions. If you're looking to up your green credentials making a power consumption based decision on the equipment you use in your offices, to host your website etc may give it a push in the right direction. At least you'll be able to comment positively on these aspects of your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Hi Ccarl

You should use as much Silicone in your products construction as possible as its totally recyclable and doesn't contain any harmful toxins.

PVC is not very good at being recycled and when heated releases toxins, ie if you were storing hot liquid in a container. The quantity of toxins released is small but if you are aiming at a "Green" market you should take this into consideration.

Heres a product that you should look at just so you know what types of non toxic materials are available.
    http://ittybittygreenie.com.au/blog/category/toxin-free-feeding-products/

I have an online shop and I only sell products made from non toxic materials, and I ship my products using "Woodwool" as a packing material. It looks like straw but is actually fine strands of wood, the kind used in hampers etc.
    Its a little gimmick that will help differentiate me from my competitors.

Best of luck with your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

Perhaps try and obtain ISO14001 certification.

May be expensive mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭davemac83

Carl,

If your interested in getting ISO 14001, but also advice on other leaner greener production please pm me.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You should invest heavily in graphic and product design. A product with green credentials is a lifestyle choice as much as anything else. Buying it is about identifying yourself as a person who cares about these issues. The packaging and the product itself have to allow your customer to wear their values on their sleeve, as it were.

Great design will help get you the premium you need to make a 'green' product viable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ccarl

EL_Loco, suey71, Bogsnorkler, davemac83, antoinolachtnai - thank you all very much for the advice and offers. i will look into all of the above this weekend!

Advertisement