Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Upgrade woes

• 11-04-2011 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Avoid this upgrade like the plague. Having been offered this upgrade with increased speed at no extra cost, we accepted the offer and received a new modem.
    Our computer situation is that there are Desktop PC's in the house, all fitted with wireless broadband, in addition to this my wife and I have laptops fitted with WiFi.
    Upon receipt of the new modem it was installed and worked on the two WiFi laptops, intermittently. The three Desktops are not receiving any internet signal at all. I should point that the desktops are the main workstations and the laptops are a convenience.
    Having contacted Eircom Broadband Support proved to be a waste of time as their staff are really not interested in any problem that falls outside their prepared scripts. The details of my contacts with Broadband support are too long and tedious to go into in detail. Suffice it to say that having been lied to, hung up on and in general given a run around that my patience is at an end.
    The bottom line is that I once had an internet connection which worked perfectly and since the 'upgrade' I now have an intermittent WiFi service,which,incidentally, is slower than before the 'upgrade'.
    The new modem is not capable of performing the function it's predecessor did and as such is a diminution of service rather than the promised upgrade. this diminution of service was charged at the same rate as before.
    So to all Internet users out there beware of Eircom upgrades, they don't do what it says on the tin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Wifi is not Eircoms responsibility at all.

This isn't the place for this, there is a broadband forum. Maybe you should ask for help besides going off on a rant, its probably something simple like a wireless channel change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Wifi is not Eircoms responsibility at all.

This isn't the place for this, there is a broadband forum. Maybe you should ask for help besides going off on a rant, its probably something simple like a wireless channel change
    Sorry mate, that's not really true. The ZyXel router they give out now is often unable to maintain a connection when the WPA authentication key is renewed after an hour. That is eircom's fault for not getting it sorted out.

Furthermore, if you want to make a point about it, the real place for this so-called rant is the Talk to:eircom forum (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1293).

As for the OP, I suggest a written complaint to eircom along with posting this in the eircom forum along with some extra details (like what exactly happens when the internet connection stops working on a computer and if the internet is perfectly usable when an ethernet cable is used instead of the wifi)

Sorry mate, that's not really true. The ZyXel router they give out now is often unable to maintain a connection when the WPA authentication key is renewed after an hour. That is eircom's fault for not getting it sorted out.

But thats most likely not his issue, it works on two laptops but not at all on three desktops

But thats most likely not his issue, it works on two laptops but not at all on three desktops
    I don't come to that conclusion. The desktops being unable to use wifi constitute one issue, and the intermittent connection with the laptops is probably the issue I referred to. I guarantee you that were the desktops to be connected using wifi, they would suffer disconnects after any given hour almost every single time. Occasionally I've noticed wifi connections with the Zyxel staying up for a multiple of an hour, perhaps 2 or 3 hours before it drops again but usually it's one hour. Setting the reauthentication timer to 9999 seconds limits disconnections to every 2 hours and 45 minutes roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 one eye

I did not start a new thread on this subject. I was placed in that category perhaps by the mods or whomever decides these things.

Thanks 'To Be Confirmed' that was some fresh information re, the modem.

Pog, If you think a statement of fact or a recounting of events are a rant then so be it.

I am also more than aware that there is a difference between WiFi and wireless broadband.

However the latest news of my own woes is that I finally got some one from Eircom who had some idea of what he was talking about and the upshot of my conversation with this gentleman was that there was a conflict between the modem and the wireless keys originally supplied (6-7 years ago), which I had suggested to the operators on the Broadband Help line but as it wa obviously not included in their script they simply refuted that idea.

However when I receive the new wireless key and test it I will post the results here.

Thanks guys.

One Eye

• Advertisement

Its very easy to remove credentials for the old network.

Windows 7 or Vista
    Open the Networking and Sharing Center. On the left side you will see some links, click Manage Wireless Networks.

Windows XP
    Open the “Connect to a Wireless network” Windows utility. On the left side click “Change the order of preferred networks.”

Remove all networks and start from scratch, this will not solve irregular disconnects.

Thanks Pog,
    Hopefully all will be resolved with the arrival of the new wireless key.

I will keep you guts informed.

One Eye

Not too sure what you mean by new wireless key, this is the wireless encryption key set on the router, the one written underneath it, that can be checked by connecting with a cable and checking on your laptop, just open 192.168.1.254 in your browser. Eircom cannot change this key nor can they give you a new one, all they can do is send a new router

Hi Pog,
    Wireless key refers to the doofer you plug into your PC via the USB port to pick up the signal from the remote modem.
    Sorry if I got the terminology wrong.

One Eye

Ah, that explains it.

With 3 static desktop pc's, did you ever consider cabling your house to free up wifi for devices that actually need mobility. It would give much better performance.

• Advertisement

Hi Pog,
    Cabling is a no no I hate cables visible all over the house. The 3 PC's are situated as follows.

1. Mine In the Attic converted to a study.

2. Wifes in the sitting room.

3. No 2 sons in his bed room

Over the years I have spent a great deal of time and money concealing wiring, in walls , under floorboards etc.

So Many thanks for the suggestion but it's a non starter. In reality I just want the system I had before the 'upgrade'. It worked perfectly and suited all concerned and will I have no doubts be restored. As I say I am waiting for the 'wireless key' and I suspect that that will resolve the problem. (Fingers crossed LOL)

One Eye

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I presume this started with the Eircom NGB "upgrade"?
    There have been quite a few moans about this and that router in particular.
    I live in darkest Kerry, and it may be some time before I get my setup messed with, but I understood that the migration should have been painless and that no new equipment is required.
    Did you try going back to your existing router on getting bogged down with this Zyxel thingy?
    From what I have heard, they will have to remove my old Netopia 3347 from my cold dead fingers, even though I just use as a modem for an Apple Time Capsule.
    Certainly I have found it so good when you connect with an experienced support person who can think outside the box.

Hi Guys.
    Latest update. Received a wireless adapter from eircom today. I successfully installed it on all three desktops, however, the speed is appalling. I was supposed to be upgraded to 24's but am getting nowhere near the 8 M's I was originally on.
    It seems from previous comments from you guys and my own experience that this new Zyxel modem is an underpowered cheap replacement. So the fight goes on.

Thanks guys,

One Eye

The speed could be a wifi thing. It's important to see what speed you are getting on the modem's "home page" and not from a speedtest site using the dodgy wifi connection

How far away from the router are the pc's? Wireless dongles are usually very poor, the antenna in them is tiny. Plug your laptop into the router by ethernet cable, disconnect wireless and do a speedtest. You're really going to need to cable to your pc's to get the most from 24mbit broadband. Also as To_be_confirmed said, check the router to see what speed your line is syncing at.

Hi To Be,
    Your initial assessment was correct The Zyxel modem is the root of the problem. It is underpowered and not fit for purpose, if you will excuse 'Dail' speak.

My advice to anyone offered this 'upgrade' I would advise that at the outset insist that the Zyxel modem is unacceptable. I would imagine this particular modem was selected by a bean counter and was decided upon purely on a fiscal consideration regardless of it's below par performance.

Thanks,

One Eye

You've failed to prove its the new one, what speed is your line syncing at? What speed are your pc's getting through the old modem? Have you changed wireless channel?

Hi To Be,
    Its on the list of to do's. Tomorrow for sure.

One Eye

You've failed to prove its the new one, what speed is your line syncing at? What speed are your pc's getting through the old modem? Have you changed wireless channel?

No Pog
    it is in the hands of the Eircom Complaints Dept so the only changes I am going to make is by instruction from them. It's a whole other level of competence compared with the front line script readers.

I will keep you guys informed.

One Eye

Another modem is being promised this time Netopia, same make as the original one.

Plug in by ethernet, see what speed you're getting. Login to your router and see what speed its syncing at. All you've done is rant here, you've not tried anything we've suggested to help with finding out what the issue is, which could be as simple as a wireless channel change. You're on day 5 now since you first posted

Eircom's staff aren't scripted to deal with wireless problems inside your home, nor should they be. Who knows what other wireless devices are in or near your house, video senders, remote cameras, cow shed cameras, etc.

BTW, I've 2 neighbours with that zyxel modem who aren't experiencing any wireless problems or dropouts, one of which I connect my phone to when I'm there, it works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moved IoffL > Broadband

Day 7..........................

Hi Guys,
    Situation as before. Still waiting for the replacement 'Netopia' modem.
    Re-establishing contact with specific Eircom complaints Dept staff proving difficult, if not impossible.
    So our situation is as before and looks like remaining so in the short term.
    I am sorry for the gap in keeping you guys up to date but I am not forgetting the help you have already provided.
    I will keep you guys informed.

One Eye

Plug in by ethernet, see what speed you're getting. Login to your router and see what speed its syncing at. All you've done is rant here, you've not tried anything we've suggested to help with finding out what the issue is, which could be as simple as a wireless channel change. You're on day 5 now since you first posted

Eircom's staff aren't scripted to deal with wireless problems inside your home, nor should they be. Who knows what other wireless devices are in or near your house, video senders, remote cameras, cow shed cameras, etc.

BTW, I've 2 neighbours with that zyxel modem who aren't experiencing any wireless problems or dropouts, one of which I connect my phone to when I'm there, it works fine.

Hi Pog,
    As I have already posted ethernet connections to the 3 dsktops is not an option.
    Again you accuse me of ' ranting' and again I can only say that if reporting personal experiences is what you consider to be a rant then so be it.

The Eircom staff's script is of no consequence to me. I have contracted with Eircom to provide a specific service, which they are signally failing to do. As was mentioned in my first post I had a service which suited my needs for six years. This only changed with the introduction of the Zyxel modem. The fact that I am receiving anything on my desktop at all using the new 'Wireless Adapter' is to my mind reasonable evidence of an incompatibility between the Netopia adapters and the Zyxel modem. And the reduced speed using the new adapter in conjunction with the Zyxel modem convinces me that the Zyxel is not fit for purpose.
    Further to that I can only say that an upgrade should be an improvement in performance not a diminution.
    It is obvious that I do not possess the technical knowledge of either your good self or 'To Be Complicated' my expertise lies in other fields. Given these limitations I contract with people to provide services and utilities which I require and pay them good money to do same.
    To put it in layman's terms 'If it ain't broke don't fix it', in this instance Eircom attempted to improve my service and failed the least they could do is to ensure that they restore what was in place before.
    I wonder what their reaction would be if I reduced my direct debit by 60%, though I think we both know exactly what their reaction would be.

Yours,
    One Eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

one eye wrote: »
    Hi Pog,
    As I have already posted ethernet connections to the 3 dsktops is not an option.
    Again you accuse me of ' ranting' and again I can only say that if reporting personal experiences is what you consider to be a rant then so be it.

The Eircom staff's script is of no consequence to me. I have contracted with Eircom to provide a specific service, which they are signally failing to do. As was mentioned in my first post I had a service which suited my needs for six years. This only changed with the introduction of the Zyxel modem. The fact that I am receiving anything on my desktop at all using the new 'Wireless Adapter' is to my mind reasonable evidence of an incompatibility between the Netopia adapters and the Zyxel modem. And the reduced speed using the new adapter in conjunction with the Zyxel modem convinces me that the Zyxel is not fit for purpose.
    Further to that I can only say that an upgrade should be an improvement in performance not a diminution.
    It is obvious that I do not possess the technical knowledge of either your good self or 'To Be Complicated' my expertise lies in other fields. Given these limitations I contract with people to provide services and utilities which I require and pay them good money to do same.
    To put it in layman's terms 'If it ain't broke don't fix it', in this instance Eircom attempted to improve my service and failed the least they could do is to ensure that they restore what was in place before.
    I wonder what their reaction would be if I reduced my direct debit by 60%, though I think we both know exactly what their reaction would be.

Yours,
    One Eye.

You don't seem to understand....Wireless is not supported, it is provided with the modem but ultimately it cannot be guaranteed.

If you were to use home plugs or purchase a stronger wireless router rather then embarking upon a crusade you would live longer...

Hi Poisonedstream.
    It would appear that you are the one who fails to understand the thread.
    From the outset I made it quite clear that prior to the 'upgrade' I had a perfectly acceptable service from Eircom.
    Subsequent to the 'upgrade' I have an unacceptable service at the same price. I find this unacceptable, and Comreg agrees with me.
    Let me make another point absolutely clear, i have no wish, desire or intention to become involved in a slanging match on this or any other forum. There seems to be an element on this forum to whom a complaint is attributable to a 'rant' or 'crusade.
    Nothing could be further from the truth. To put it in simple plain English, I want the service I enjoyed for six years prior to the 'upgrade'.

One Eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Have you tried plugging back in your old router?

Hi demanufactured,
    Unfortunately when the ill fated new router was delivered the original router was taken away bu the delivery man. However a new router is being delivered tomorrow (allegedly) LOL.
    Hopefully that will work and this sorry saga will conclude.
    Thanks
    One Eye

P.S. I will of course post the results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You shouldn't have let the take the old router , it was yours not. there's

Advertisement