Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone see about the whole Jessie J/Trinity fiasco?

• 11-04-2011 12:19pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0411/jessiej.html#idc-cover

Respect +10 for the girl. I know it's cause she had a heart attack and had to stop drinking but its nice to see someone trying to be a decent role model nowadays. Comments are a mixed barrel though. Nice to see so many people with their head screwed on right but scares me how many are replying with the typical derogatory comments to her :/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

And there was me assuming she was just another "party-girl come pop star".
    wonder what her story is, Off to wiki i go. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭Chefburns

After reading some of the comment on the acticle its obvious that while she might have been making a point about binge drinking, every one else who didn't go to trinity has decided to use it as another chance to have a go at trinity:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

"well this is what happens when you bring a girl who has obviously never been to a real party before(since she doesnt drink) to ireland."

Is this person serious?

NecroSteve wrote: »
    Is this person serious?

in what sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

CMpunked wrote: »
    in what sense?
    The person from that quote is assuming that the only definition of a 'real party' is getting completely sh1tfaced, to the point that the physical health and safety of young people is compromised, and that Ireland is the biggest example of that as the norm

People being completely fxcked up drunk at gigs wont enjoy / remember any of it, and they just end up ruining it for everyone else who actually wanted to enjoy the bands

Also, the writer must be some gimp callin it an inaugural event! sap

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

You seem surprised someone would have that attitude in Ireland :S

unreggd wrote: »
    The person from that quote is assuming that the only definition of a 'real party' is getting completely sh1tfaced, to the point that the physical health and safety of young people is compromised, and that Ireland is the biggest example of that as the norm

Ah yeah i get it now. I mistakingly assumed that this was NecroSteve's own POV. :o
    I didnt see the quotation marks first time round. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

The problem with this is that people are taking it as "Oh, those TCD students, all binge-drinking, shaming the college, disgraceful!" etc., instead of copping on that it's the whole country that acts like this.

Yes, it may have been at the Trinity Ball that she saw this, but show me any university ball/party/event that doesn't involve copious amounts of alcohol and seriously drunk people!

Her comments will have no effect cause people are using them to denounce Trinity and not the society we come from. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I was really surprised at the extreme reaction even on these forums, it was seriously defensive. If anyone feels the need to abuse or attack someone because they happen to have mentioned the down side to a drinking culture should take a long hard look at themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

If anyone feels the need to abuse or attack someone because they happen to have mentioned the down side to a drinking culture should take a long hard look at themselves.
    Exactly. The worrying fact is that a large part of our society are alcoholics, or not far off, but would deny it down to the ground if labelled one!

Jessie's tweets were never aimed at Trinity in particular. She explained her own worries, which was the fact that the girls were gettin trampled on. Since most of her followers would be younger, shes trying to give them some good advice. She just used the Trinity Ball as an example, because it's prob the worst shes witnessed in a long time. So bad, that she felt the need to comment on it. Which is great, because everyone else wants to dodge the issue, and its a major one! People gettin trampled on at college socials is hardly the norm :S

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I was really surprised at the extreme reaction even on these forums, it was seriously defensive. If anyone feels the need to abuse or attack someone because they happen to have mentioned the down side to a drinking culture should take a long hard look at themselves.

Exactly fair dues to the girl for speaking out about it just worrying to see the backlash.

Advertisement