Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed limit changes on roads around Ratoath

Options
  • 11-04-2011 12:50pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Over the last week or two I've seen new covered up speed limit signs popping on roads around Ratoath (Fairyhouse Road, Ashbourne Road, Dunshaughlin road).
    Today, they were uncovered (at least the ones on the Fairyhouse Road were) and it turns out that half of this road is now 50km/h despite being plenty wide enough and safe enough to carry traffic at 80.
    And low and behold, the first day that these new speed limits are in place, a speed camera van is smack bang in the middle of the 50 zone :rolleyes:
    Just a heads up to people that travel these roads every day that there will probably be lots of these vans around for the next few weeks and to heed the new speed limits despite them being ridiculously slow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

A lot of the back roads around Curraha have gone from 80km to 50km too, rediculous really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

bad buzz....that's the way I go to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭b318isp

I think this is one to be bounced towards Nick Killian and the Meath Echo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I was coming home (going towards Ratoath) monday night around 11pm. Came upon a speed van from their front. The car in front of me slows down to 70 and so do I as we both pass around to the rear of the van.

I don't think anymore of it until about half a km further up the road I see a sign for 80. Hmm.. so as I pass it I hit my brakes to light up the sign and I see 50. :eek: :eek: Couldn't effin believe it.

I don't know if they can do you when you're driving away from them but I'll be disgusted.

Any chance, the guys operating the van weren't aware of the speed changes?

It's a fuggin joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Meath Mommy

THe speed limits on the Fairyhouse Road make it like a rollercoaster. 60 to 80 to 50 to 80 to 60. Its crazy. I saw a guy slam on his brakes to day to try and get down to 50...yeah speed camera guy was sitting pretty there...and another car nearly rear ended him. I cant see why that particular stretch of the road is set at 50? Turn onto the POrterstown Lane and it goes back up to 80!!! If anyone can do 80 on the Porterstown Lane, well then they should be competeing for Rally Ireland. It's crazy. Who sets these limits? I'm all for safe driving but the system on the road now is making it more dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

THe speed limits on the Fairyhouse Road make it like a rollercoaster. 60 to 80 to 50 to 80 to 60. Its crazy. I saw a guy slam on his brakes to day to try and get down to 50...yeah speed camera guy was sitting pretty there...and another car nearly rear ended him. I cant see why that particular stretch of the road is set at 50? Turn onto the POrterstown Lane and it goes back up to 80!!! If anyone can do 80 on the Porterstown Lane, well then they should be competeing for Rally Ireland. It's crazy. Who sets these limits? I'm all for safe driving but the system on the road now is making it more dangerous.
    Same applies to Glascarn Lane, the other side of the Racecourse to Porterstown Lane. 80 all the way along there, despite there only being a stretch of about 50 metres where it's somewhat possible to fit two cars side by side. Otherwise, it's narrower than a normal one way street, even though it's a two way road. It doesn't help that there's a place where trucks and vans frequently enter and exit in the middle of Glascarn Lane. The lane is also very popular for cyclists and walkers too. And now coming out onto the Fairyhouse Road is 50km/h? Ridiculous.

For the Meath Echo...and I'll send it to a few others too...

Submission to Letters Page:

Dear Sir,

I would like to seek a clarification regarding the reduction of the speed limit on part of Fairyhouse Road to 50kmh. Such a severe reduction on a relative straight, wide and low risk part of the road baffles me. A more cynically person may observe that it coincides well with the stated location of safety cameras.

I personally would like to see the justification on why this limit is so low when there are greater risks around the entrances to the racecourse, higher traffic back roads (such as Glascairn Lane) and along the twisting areas before the N3 intersection. To consider this section of road to be similar in risk to housing estates, around the schools and the centre of the village is ridiculous.

It is very difficult to maintain such a low speed on such an open road and I cannot see what is the issue with limit being closer to 80kph. Again, some may see an impractical limit and the presence of "cash collecting" safety cameras within such a defined area (and given that the limit returns to 80kph either side) as not being a true safety initiative.

I'm generally not opposed to speed limits (I'd was happy top see the limit drop from 100 to 80kph a few years ago), but this is a nonsensical step too far.

Regards,

Just been informed that the signs have been covered up again! Perhaps someone has made a mistake?

Please let that be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

b318isp wrote: »
    Just been informed that the signs have been covered up again! Perhaps someone has made a mistake?

Yes passed them yesterday and the signs on the ratoath road have been covered with black plastic and taped up. What gives :confused:

• Advertisement

Yes passed them yesterday and the signs on the ratoath road have been covered with black plastic and taped up. What gives :confused:

Okay it was me covered them up :P

Still covered up today. If they're not going to use them then take them down again.

Here's an explanation via Nick Killian:

Nick,

The speed limit on the Fairyhouse road was put in place to facilitate new roadworks due to start soon at this location. They are in line with our H & S policy & Section 10 of the Roads Act 2004 (attached0

Following a number of complaints from members of the public we are consulting with the Gardai to see if these speed limits can be covered until a few days before the work starts. It’s worth noting that this is not the fist time these speed limits have been put in place at location where roadworks are proposed. Over the last few years this has always been the case. The only difference this time around is that these speed limits are being enforced by Gardai (the new Gardai speed trap vans).

Thank you.

Emmanuel

Second day in a row on the Fairyhouse road. At least the limit is back to 80 for now, so I don't need to be worrying too much.

They must be making a killing to keep coming back to the do the same spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

b318isp wrote: »
    Here's an explanation via Nick Killian:

Nick,

The speed limit on the Fairyhouse road was put in place to facilitate new roadworks due to start soon at this location.

Emmanuel

Doesn't explain the signs on the Ratoath-Dunshaughlin stretch nor the Ratoath-Ashbourne section.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

In recent times I've been sticking to the speed limits with even more determination than before...even though some of the limits are ridiculous. Any eejit can drive at 80km in a 50km zone but it's actually more difficult to resist the temptation to exceed the limit in many cases.

I've got used to doing 80km on the old N3 from Dunshaughlin to Fairyhouse but I still resent having to keep from doing more than do 60km between the roundabouts from Fairyhouse to the Dunboyne turn-off. Especially when it seems that I am the only one who keeps to the limit on that particular stretch.
    It's been quite revealing as regards the behaviour of some those who are "trapped" behind me. Some of the impatient and dangerous overtaking has been spectacular. But what do you do? Break the law and risk penalty points so as to keep down the blood pressure of my fellow motorists? Don't think so...

In general, with the tightening of speed limits, I don't enjoy driving as much as I used to. Now I just drive to work rather than work to drive, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

So is it okay to just presume that most areas are 80km unless they have signs up??

I think the place that really annoys me is the Skryne road going down by the pitch and putt course and Steeplechase. The amount of people who fly down that road well over the 50km is insane. Especially considering how awkward the exit out of the astro pitch and the pitch and putt courses are!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Johnnyb101

there is a ridiculous speed limit on that road.
    It goes from 80kmph to 60kmph for a bout 2 kms coming from Dunshaughlin to Ratoath then from 50kmph then to 60kmph. once you go past the garage just before the ashbourne roundabout it goes to 60kmph to 80kmph for literally a couple of feet then back to 60kmph.

It is absolutely silly. I had a line of traffic behind me so embarrassing :o
    and I could tell the fella behind me furious. Ive seen the speed van on that road before so I aint speeding on it.

Advertisement