Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomas Hardy

Options
  • 11-04-2011 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Cannot believe my luck in not having read any of Thomas Hardy's novels yet. Literally opened up 'Far from the madding crowd' and a couple of others in the Classics section of Easons and he is the author I have been waiting for.

Any other fans out there?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Loved his poetry in secondary school. 'Far from the Madding Crowd' is sitting on my bookshelf at the moment, don't know if I should attempt to read it just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Excellent, just what I need in my time of over-optimism :)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I agree with Permabear. I loved "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" but found "Jude the Obscure" a bit of a struggle. I didn't read "Far from the Madding Crowd" yet, might put it on my To Be Read mountain of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The only Hardy I've read is Far From the Madding Crowd - wasn't blown away to be honest!

• Advertisement

The only Hardy I've read is Far From the Madding Crowd - wasn't blown away to be honest!

As a matter of interest what books have, to use your phrase, blown you away? We probably have different literary tastes but maybe not?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

Ooooh I love Thomas Hardy, one of the best English novelists in my opinion.

I adore Tess of the d'Ubervilles and I think it taught me a lot about the futility of idealistic love etc. when I was quite young. The descriptions of country life are so beautiful, I felt I was there milking cows even though I lived in central Paris! I'm wondering when I will propose (impose?!) it to my 12 year-old daughter... Soon enough I think.
    The film version with Kinski is not half-bad either...

I even relished Jude the Obscure, its darkness suited my mood when I read it. I enjoyed the architectural aspect of it too.

I can't remember the different plots of his many novels (that I read), but I have enjoyed them all.
    I'm envious you get to discover it all now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Tess of the D'Urbervilles was spectacular. I must read some more of his work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I love love love Thomas Hardy.

Jude the Obscure, one of my favorite novels of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I think even lesser Thomas Hardy is a cut above most other books. You always need to have the tissues handy though. A Pair of Blue Eyes is another...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Far From the Madding Crowd is one of my all-time favourite novels!

The Hand of Ethelberta is a bit random though...

Thanks so much for all the replies.. makes the world a better place knowing there are others out there who appreciate writers like him! And I did wonder.. how could you not in times like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Absolutely loved Tess of the D'Urbervilles - definitely one of my all time favourites.

Jude the Obscure has been sitting on my bookshelf for months collecting dust, half tempted to dig it out now.....or maybe i'll just re-read Tess

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

Hardy is well worth the effort - Jude is certainly a depressing story, like Tess, but it's fantastic.

I've noticed more Hardy in second hand book-shops than any other author so I think the public at large are not so keen on him.

That's interesting Ruby. Can I ask what second shops did you see him in? I would rather buy an old copy if I can though they are cheap to buy new in Easons.

By the way I just can't bring myself to start reading him yet. Have planned to begin mid-July, just before the Parnell Square Protest on July 16th calling for a referendum on the bailout. Think I need to see something crack a bit before I can afford to read him..

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

Well if you pog it down to Limerick or Kerry you will find Hardy in abundance. The second hand bookshop across the road from Easons has a lot too.

If you are planning a long drawn out protest - Hardy will get you through. A bit of Jude the Obscure will also give you plenty of fodder for considering the dashed hopes of idealistic youth in a corrupt city.

Tess should make you long for the simple days of farming...but that might be too prophetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 majessticon

I love Hardy. I always think of him as like a favourite teacher at school; really passionate about his subject, but also able to be stern and keep control of things! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 grocklecat

i like Hardy too, i think my favourite has to be The Mayor of Casterbridge.

Advertisement