Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we drink too much?

Options
  • 11-04-2011 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Do we drink too much as a nation? Or are we no different than any other country? I know this person has no real relevance to any of us but Jessie J mentioned on her twitter how plastered the crowd were when she was going the Trinity ball in Dublin. I dont go out that often anymore but when I do I notice that people are really really hammered, almost barely able to stay standing, speech completely gone, and listen I have been guilty of it myself on a few occasions in my social life but id wake up the next day knowing that i wont let that happen again, almost an embarrassing feeling comes over me the next day. Did I really enjoy myself or because I cant remember anything I must of enjoyed myself?? it could of fuelled those scumbags who gay bash lads in Dublin, i dont know, maybe I'm just getting older
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Do we drink too much as a nation? Or are we no different than any other country? I know this person has no real relevance to any of us but Jessie J mentioned on her twitter how plastered the crowd were when she was going the Trinity ball in Dublin. I dont go out that often anymore but when I do I notice that people are really really hammered, almost barely able to stay standing, speech completely gone, and listen I have been guilty of it myself on a few occasions in my social life but id wake up the next day knowing that i wont let that happen again, almost an embarrassing feeling comes over me the next day. Did I really enjoy myself or because I cant remember anything I must of enjoyed myself?? it could of fuelled those scumbags who gay bash lads in Dublin, i dont know, maybe I'm just getting older

Are you drunk right now OP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Nah the Luxembourgers beat us in consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Trinity ball is like a mini music festival with suits and ball gowns.

I defy you to find me any music festival that serves beer and doesn't end up with hundreds of drunk people sleeping in fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Not recently. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

The best nights are the one you don't remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Aoifey! wrote: »
    The best nights are the one you don't remember.

Irish drinking attitude in less than ten words!

Well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Who's round is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's Monday so most of the country is swearing blind that they're never drinking again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Irish drinking attitude in less than ten words!

Well done :D
    I do try :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.same.

Because we're shy, so in order to get laid it's either:
    ~Get hammer and hope for the best
    ~stop someone on the street and ask would you like to go for a coffee Bahahahahahhah
    ~or die a virgin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Drink is so overrated.

hondasam wrote: »
    Drink is so overrated.

Leave your Irish card on the table on your way out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Listening to a non drinker talk about drink is like getting lectured about sex by people who abstain....

oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

If you go to any major city, you will find people stumbling around out of their minds drunk every weekend. It happens everywhere.

I've met quite a few American people for example on my travels and they drink just as hard as us, more so the younger crowds.

The thing is in other cultures they are more than capable of having just a few drinks, leave it at that and still have a great time. I'm not saying some Irish people aren't like this. In fact, I know quite a few.

I just think Irish people use any occasion to get pissed. A lot of people don't know when to stop. The Trinity Ball for example. If it's a formal event, at least wait until the entertainment is over to make a fool out of yourself. Jessie J said she was pretty pissed during her slower songs. People were just chatting loudly amongst themselves which is kind of disrespectful to the artist.

blow69 wrote: »
    I just think Irish people use any occasion to get pissed. A lot of people don't know when to stop. The Trinity Ball for example. If it's a formal event, at least wait until the entertainment is over to make a fool out of yourself. Jessie J said she was pretty pissed during her slower songs. People were just chatting loudly amongst themselves which is kind of disrespectful to the artist.

There is nothing formal about the Trinners ball, except maybe the outfits they wear. It is a Music festival with a few tents housing different types of music. No dinner, no speeches, just music and drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Dont drink enough more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It's knowing when you've had enough and when to stop and take a break that's important .

I gather that Jessie J was concerned enough to stop the performance at the Trinity Ball because of people who were so drunk they were trampling over one another .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Dont drink enough more like.

Ye mad yoke! :rolleyes:

There is nothing formal about the Trinners ball, except maybe the outfits they wear. It is a Music festival with a few tents housing different types of music. No dinner, no speeches, just music and drink.

Huh, didn't realize that. Still though, a lot of people were on the floor before midnight. It's a bit worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Maybe they were trying to get hammered to make her look hot?

• Advertisement

Huh, didn't realize that. Still though, a lot of people were on the floor before midnight. It's a bit worrying.

It's a big deal. I actually went to a pre ball party on Friday night where the home made cocktails were flowing freely, nobody heads there until after 11 ish. I wasn't edamactated enough to be allowed go to the ball so I was left behind to scrub the sick out of the toilet floor. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

But sure at least it was a better class of sick - not like the usual scumbag stuff ;)
    It's a big deal. I actually went to a pre ball party on Friday night where the home made cocktails were flowing freely, nobody heads there until after 11 ish. I wasn't edamactated enough to be allowed go to the ball so I was left behind to scrub the sick out of the toilet floor. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

As a man who gave the weekend horsing down pints of Smithwicks I'd say Jessie J can get lost. We might drink too much but I personally think it's what I work for at the moment, having money to go have the craic with a few a pints and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the activities of a bunch of cocaine and overpriced drink fuelled kids with daddys money, being commented on by a woman who has no discernible talent aside from trying to appear as butch as possible , told through a website that simply exists to save you going down the pub to talk shíte , is not a reflection on the rest of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

We don't drink too much, students just can't handle their drink well.

LOL students

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

the activities of a bunch of cocaine and overpriced drink fuelled kids with daddys money, being commented on by a woman who has no discernible talent aside from trying to appear as butch as possible , told through a website that simply exists to save you going down the pub to talk shíte , is not a reflection on the rest of the country

It is.

Maybe it's not a reflection on you, but it's a view taken by someone in the public eye, visiting Ireland and comparing it to other places on her tour.

The trinity ball is a bit of an exception as it is a complete drink fest.

Although, plenty of people fell out of pubs all over the country over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It is.

Maybe it's not a reflection on you, but it's a view taken by someone in the public eye, visiting Ireland and comparing it to other places on her tour.

Although, plenty of people fell out of pubs all over the country over the weekend.

so your saying people on the public eye should be shielded from the irish drinking ? its not really a problem, give it 2 months and everyone will realise she has no talent and nobody will ever listen to her ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

People were just chatting loudly amongst themselves which is kind of disrespectful to the artist.

Oh come on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It is.

Indeed it and wouldn't matter weather it was Eirc Clapton , Micheal Buble or Adele on stage saying it , she saw what was hapenning and was concerned .

• Advertisement

I know I know, but that's how singers and bands are listed; artists.

She does sing quite well though and apparently does contribute some writing credits. Probably just two sentences in a song.

Advertisement