Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we drink too much?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

so your saying people on the public eye should be shielded from the irish drinking ? its not really a problem, give it 2 months and everyone will realise she has no talent and nobody will ever listen to her ever again.

No, I didn't say that at all.

You said it wasn't an accurate reflection of the country, because of the person that said it and the medium they used to communicate it.

But it doesn't matter if it was those aliens in the FBI thread communicating through the stars, they would still have a valid point.

Even though it was a big (binge) drinking event, there were surely similar scenes everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

There's worse than us, much worse! For every person that gets sloppy, incoherently drunk, there's 10 that that hit their limit and stop. It's an unfair stereotype in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Foreigner workers always asked me why do we drink too much,looking at it now,seem to do,following examples-

All ireland finals,many people don't really give a fck about their county winning it,its the piss up on the night that matters.

Any sporting event that has irish final connection.

Christenings.

Funerals.

The "lightweight" remarks you might hear if someone gets drunk too early.

Oxygen,plenty of piss/drugheads at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Foreigner workers always asked me why do we drink too much,looking at it now,seem to do,following examples-

All ireland finals,many people don't really give a fck about their county winning it,its the piss up on the night that matters.

Any sporting event that has irish final connection.

Christenings.

Funerals.

The "lightweight" remarks you might hear if someone gets drunk too early.

Oxygen,plenty of piss/drugheads at that.

hey all that tax thats being generated by drink sales is whats keeping Anglo going and keeping FF'ers pension filled. after all they done for this country it's the least we could do.

Sarcasm doesn't really work using text does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Walk down Camden Street in Dublin any weekend night at 3am - it's like Zombie Town; girls vomiting with their skirts up around their bellybuttons, people walking on the street in a stupefied state, falling over, broken glass, pissing in doorways (girls and boys), and giving aggravation, at times.

On the other hand I've also been in their position many times and I know nights on a crzay tear is often just a harmless laugh, especially in hindsight.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

This idea that our excessive drinking is limit to the weekend is rubbish. There is far too much acceptance of drunkeness in Ireland, particularly public drunkeness, on pretty much any day of the week at pretty much any time.

I work in public transport in a fairly medium sized city and i am absolutely guaranteed to encounter 4 or 5 fall-down drunk people of various ages on any given day. And this is on top of the 10 or so "regulars" who use the trains every day (with their free-travel passes of course) as a taxi service to and from home and their watering hole of choice. At the weekend it is a free-for-all with literally hordes of drunken assholes arriving on every train from mid-morning onward and the police having to be called to deal with dicey situations all too often as a result.

The fact that this is seen as even remotely acceptable behaviour shows the terrible attitude we have to drink in this country. I have no problem with someone having a bit of a laugh and a few drinks and knowing when to stop but those people are in the tiny minority in this country.

The "craic" is the worst excuse to be a drunken lout but i hear it brought up in 99% of situations when things turn bad because of excessive drinking. Your "craic" isn't being shared with the daily commuters on the train, the families with kids on a day out, the elderly folks going to hospital appointments or pretty much any other passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Not as much as the rest of our EU gang there seen as sophisticated
    I wish I was French,Italian or Spanish they drink wine like water :)

I get horrible looks off my family when they find an empty
    bottle of wine in the wheelie bin you can ony get 2 + half glasses of wine
    in a full bottle big deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

This idea that our excessive drinking is limit to the weekend is rubbish. There is far too much acceptance of drunkeness in Ireland, particularly public drunkeness, on pretty much any day of the week at pretty much any time.
    I think that's a good point. I used to accompany my Grandad to the pub every evening during my Summers from school, where he would go in at lunch time have a few glasses of Paddy's, stagger out at 4pm and take me back to work with him. This went on every Summer of my youth, and in the evenings he would go back in to play cards and finish the day's drinking. I'll never forget on the day that he was buried how I was honestly shocked when someone referred to him as an alcoholic.

We grow up with an ingrained culture of appeasing alcohol, where the term alcoholic is rarely ever used. We often think that getting blind drunk is as acceptable a way to celebrate as it is grieve, or even as it is to pass a weekend night on the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Ya we have our problems no doubt but spending so much time in the UK I can tell you it is as bad if not worse.

On another note I would have to be pissed to go to the Trinity Ball like FYI OMG:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cbyrne11

blow69 wrote: »
    I know I know, but that's how singers and bands are listed; artists.

She does sing quite well though and apparently does contribute some writing credits. Probably just two sentences in a song.

If by singing well you mean that she had mastered how to use Autotune! Girl voice sounds like a computer in anything that I've heard of her, As for artist think she'd have to be written the songs for me to call her that.

From what I've heard of friday, this girl acted like a diva and was complaining for most of her gig, probably not the crowd that she's use to, but if I paid an "Artist" to perform and she spent her time lecturing and judging the crowd, I'd throw her off stage regardless of her reasons, her job was to perform, she was paid for that and acting like this worstens the situation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

...am I the only one with no idea who she is?!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cbyrne11

Aoifey! wrote: »

Your better off Aoife!! One would suspect that this was to raise her profile anyway, from what I heard the crowd were pretty annoyed at her performance so this is probably damage control for her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Leave your Irish card on the table on your way out :pac:

I left a tab behind the bar for you. enjoy the hangover :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

later10 wrote: »
    I think that's a good point. I used to accompany my Grandad to the pub every evening during my Summers from school, where he would go in at lunch time have a few glasses of Paddy's, stagger out at 4pm and take me back to work with him. This went on every Summer of my youth, and in the evenings he would go back in to play cards and finish the day's drinking. I'll never forget on the day that he was buried how I was honestly shocked when someone referred to him as an alcoholic.

We grow up with an ingrained culture of appeasing alcohol, where the term alcoholic is rarely ever used. We often think that getting blind drunk is as acceptable a way to celebrate as it is grieve, or even as it is to pass a weekend night on the town.

I think it's the attitude towards alcohol that is the main issue; there is an attitude of drinking as much as possible in as little time as possible to get as drunk as possible. Let's face it, any moron can pour drink down their neck until they puke and can't stand. It's nothing to be proud of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Somebodys who's on the music channels a lot of late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Nope. I'd never heard of her before today.

Advertisement