Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco: Bewleys Coffee - Rip Off Prices

Options
  • 11-04-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey,
    I normally buy ground coffee for the coffee machine at home.
    Normal cost of a bag of Bewleys or Robert Roberts coffee is about €4.59 for 227gms of coffee.
    Last week Tesco had an offer on the coffee for about €3.60 a bag and some of these bags had 50% extra (340gms), so I snapped up a few bags... Happy Days!!!!

Today I went into the local Tesco today for lunch I noticed one of their new "Price Cuts" signs over the coffee, and low and behold it now costs €5.19 a bag.

They are really taking the p**s with these "so called" cuts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Can you explain to me why it is that if Tesco increase a price the assumption by the majority of people on boards is that they are ripping off the consumers?

Is it beyond possibility that there could be a valid reason for it and as coffee prices have increased in every retail outlet in the world, would you day that every retail outlet worldwide is ripping you off??

Rather than give you an answer, I'll suggest something quite unique - key in "rising coffee prices' into the little site called Google and have a little read and then afterwards change the title of your post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

maxer68 wrote: »
    Can you explain to me why it is that if Tesco increase a price the assumption by the majority of people on boards is that they are ripping off the consumers?

Is it beyond possibility that there could be a valid reason for it and as coffee prices have increased in every retail outlet in the world, would you day that every retail outlet worldwide is ripping you off??

Rather than give you an answer, I'll suggest something quite unique - key in "rising coffee prices' into the little site called Google and have a little read and then afterwards change the title of your post

While you are correct about "perhaps the price of coffee has gone up", it doesnt explain the price cut sign a week later.

(Oh, and I am not defending them. They are killing irish shops.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

My guess is the sign is a general sign and not specific to that particular bag of coffee.

Price increase of raw coffee beans has been about 80% in past 12 months. Obviously not all of this translates to retail as the cost of roasting, grinding & packaging has not risen much.

You can also expect further rises in coffee as well as any commoddity related product particularly wheat & sugar.

Listed below is a composite index of the average monthly coffee bean price per pound. The index includes arabica and robusta coffee futures Feb. 2011: $2.16
    Jan. 2011: $1.97
    Dec. 2010: $1.84
    Nov. 2010: $1.74
    Oct. 2010: $1.62
    Sept. 2010: $1.64
    Aug. 2010: $1.57
    July 2010: $1.53
    June 2010: $1.42
    May 2010: $1.28
    April 2010: $1.27
    March 2010: $1.25
    Feb. 2010: $1.23

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The apocalypse is upon us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

JoeBaz wrote: »
    Hey,
    I normally buy ground coffee for the coffee machine at home.
    Normal cost of a bag of Bewleys or Robert Roberts coffee is about €4.59 for 227gms of coffee.
    Last week Tesco had an offer on the coffee for about €3.60 a bag and some of these bags had 50% extra (340gms), so I snapped up a few bags... Happy Days!!!!

Today I went into the local Tesco today for lunch I noticed one of their new "Price Cuts" signs over the coffee, and low and behold it now costs €5.19 a bag.

They are really taking the p**s with these "so called" cuts.

They do this all the time. Same with superquinn. Just have to know the prices. Go in any day and some product on special offer can be twice what it was a week previously etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Exactly €5.19 in Superquinn too, could it have been that the supplier increased the price. If that is the case it will probable be discontinued soon as less people will buy it.

Some price for coffee(15.33 / kg) nearly cheaper to go int their cafe!

Advertisement