Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo Engine Trouble

Options
  • 11-04-2011 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

1. (01 Mondeo Diesel).The car starts fine and initially drives fine.. After 15 to 20 minutes of driving when the temperature gets to normal range (almost 50%) while driving, the engine loses power, with a bit of jerk reaction.

2. Once the problem begins, the car can kind of chug along in 1st or 2nd gear, but any acceleration and the chugging begins.

3. Leave the car sit for approximately 20 minutes while the temperature goes down to about 25% on the guage, then can drive again.

4. When the engine loses power, there is a particular odor. The odor is not at all a burning smell, but kind of a peculiar fuel odor. There is evidence of white smoke during the power loss.

5. No warning indicators come on. All the indicators have been tested and functional.

6. The car does not show any sign of overheating, however at the 50% heat level, consistently the problem beings.

7. The engine idles fine without an irregularity.

Any ideas would be welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from Newbie and FAQs.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭illegalpower

Are you sure the temp gauge is giving a correct reading, could be faulty.

Also the injectors may be blocked or faulty as this can make run rough and the engine will not rev up properly when asked but this should be from start up,

does the 01 mondeo have a diesel particulate filter as these symptoms sometimes are caused by it being blocked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Timing advance solenoid on the pump is one possible cause.

The Transits can suffer from this problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Coolthejets

Hi Lads,

Thanks for the reply. Just a quick update. Car went through diagnostic and threw up a fuel line problem (not surprising)! New fuel filter fitted and run back through diagnostic - all looks good but from research on the subject to date I feel that I have not heard the end of the problem.
    So far car running like new but I will need to keep a close eye on things. All comments so far are plausible and thank you for taking the time to respond. I will keep this thread open and update when I have news so my experience may benefit others.

Advertisement