Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slate coloured paint (nutural babgor)

• 11-04-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

do I have to make this up myself?
    I went into B&Q and they scanned my piece of slate that I brought in .But the result was unsatisfactory as the slate was naturally multicoloured -grey but not really uniform.
    If I have a go at mixing it myself would I succeed if I started with an approximate grey and added bits of black and white - or would I have to add bits of blue ,reed and green?

(The reason I need to do this is that I have accumulated bits of silicon (or similar) between the slates as a way of keeping out the rain but they are a little unsightly now as they (the silicon -not the slates) seem to have bleached with age and stand out too much.)

ps the subject is badly written -sorry I can't edit it either- it should read natural bangor and not nutural babgor....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

A paint can't be two different colours like your slate. The machine in B&Q probably picked up the grey that was nearest. Chances are you will never get a perfect match.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

would a plan of action be to scan it twice or 3 times , get 2 or 3 different results presumably and then mix the colours?
    Is it possible to go to a place like B&Q and give them a set of colour numbers like you see on a computer imaging programme which they can punch into their paint making machine?
    I am guessing though that with a palette of green ,blue and red it might be a doddle to mix any colour approximately by eyesight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

geordief wrote: »
    would a plan of action be to scan it twice or 3 times , get 2 or 3 different results presumably and then mix the colours?
    Is it possible to go to a place like B&Q and give them a set of colour numbers like you see on a computer imaging programme which they can punch into their paint making machine?
    I am guessing though that with a palette of green ,blue and red it might be a doddle to mix any colour approximately by eyesight.

I worked the dulux colour matcher for years.

Generally what i used to do regardless of what i was scanning was to scan it 5times and then go with the most frequent result, generally a minimum of 3 in 5 hits to be sure.

Mixing the colours is not a good idea, because if for example (and im using this as an exaggeration) you had a jet black material with small white spots, the predominant colour i black, yet if you mix the white with the black you have grey - which is a colour not on the material at all!

You need to get 2 or 3 tiles and get them to do the scan at least 5 times on each - this way you have the best chance of getting the colour you need. It wont be exact im afraid, but hopefully close enough

Advertisement