Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Food costing a small fortune and other issues!

• 11-04-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We recently got a lovely 14 week old German Sheperd cross terrier from a rescue centre. She had originally been placed with a family at 7 weeks who couldnt look after her properly so when we got her (3 weeks ago) she was very mal nourished we have taken her to the vets and she has all her shots and we have her micro chipped etc.

She is the most darling puppy one could wish for However we also have a 4 yr old JRT cross who is male and very very passive. She is always trying to bite at him and he lets a growl out of him but she is fearless and keeps it up.

I would like to know how to stop her doing this if anyone has any ideas.

She also goes absolutely ape at any other type of animal..even birds and often at people also,I mean she really lets you know she is around!

I dont see this as a particular problem as I feel she will outgrow this behaviour but my partner really reckons it sjhould be nipped in the bud now.,Again any ideas would be of great help.

Finally as she was so skinny when we got her we have been feeding her on the best type of dog food (or so we are told) which is Royal Canin Puppy food.

She is absolutely thriving on it and has grown so much with no ribs showing anymore,but at the rate she is eating it we reckon it will cost us 40-50 euro PM to feed her which is just a bit too much. Our little JRT never cost anywhere near that amount but he is obviously a lot smaller.

Can anyone advise where we can get a quality puppy food at maybe a bit less?

All the best.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi there!

you could try:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/royal_canin_breed/207892

or here is hills:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/hills_science_plan/puppy_junior/128147

if you buy 2 x 12kg bags its works out at €86, with free delivery...

if you are changing over food introduce it slowly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If you are looking for a cheaper alternative then maybe try Red Mills Leader puppy as its a bit cheaper than Royal Canin. Just make sure its the Leader range and not the Star or Winner as they arent great at all.

Hills and Royal Canin are quite dear so if you really cant afford it then try the Red Mills maybe.

Just keep an eye on the pup to make sure the new food suits it, as not all foods will suit your dog.
    Any food changeover should be done gradually over the course of a week or so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

We recently started feeding ours Best for my dog:

http://www.bestformydog.com/

Bit cheaper the the Royal Canin and dogs are loving it

Advertisement