Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovation Conversion costs and advice

Options
  • 11-04-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have been reading a lot of messages here and found some good general advice etc and am hoping someone experienced can offer some specifics to me.

I have a delapidated two storey house in North Wicklow - first floor is four bedrooms, ground floor currently small sitting room, small dining room, and a tiny kitchen and bathroom in a lean to. Bulk of ground floor space is taken up with two double garages. House was originally out buildings/staff quarters for a big house.

It has not been lived for 6 years, and it is currently damp. The ground floor rear wall is built up against a wall of soil/earth.

The roof was replacedjust over 15 years ago so hoping that shoudl still be ok.

I am really hoping that I do not have to pull it down, and guessing there is a good chance that it might need underpinning.

What I am wondering is does anyone have any idea of ballpark costs involved of converting along the lines of the attached plans.

Not concerned about costs of finishing, fitted kitchens, wardrobes etc - i can do that later, in immediate term I want to get house structurally sound with attached layout, plumbing for new bathroom and kitchen installed, and new septic tank.

There are services on site, water, electricity etc. And have no requirement for landscaping, gates, paving etc.

Any ideas??!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

Sorry - on the ground floor image second plan should read "Proposed Ground Floor" not First Floor!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Fire regulations do not allow you to discharge your stairs into an open plan area that has a kitchen in it. Either the kitchen or the stair has to be enclosed. Also the stair has to discharge within 4.5 m of an exit door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

you cant price off a drawing for renovation work. underpinning prices vary greatly and whoever you get make sure they have ample insurance. theres too many factors to even give a ball park price.

Advertisement