Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for some C & C please..

• 11-04-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just looking for some feedback on these two shots. Taken yesterday and just wanted to see how I could have improved these shots a bit.

Camera used is a 5D MK II with a 24-70mm L lens, ISO of 100 - shots are handheld

The first:

DFC987FFDD0C4E9DBE3B40ECFD7AD776-0000334039-0002258880-00800L-6EABF8A3E63642AD889802CEF3582684.jpg

I used an aperture of F22, I think my focus point is off as only the grass seems to be 'sharp'. What I wanted, was more detail into the shot but it looks a bit soft. In future, with this kind of shot, can someone guide me as to a better approach/settings (I know all shots will have different settings depending on different variables but I would just like an insight as to how you would have composed the shot and chosen your settings.

I've read up that for some shots where you want that level of sharpness, you should only go as far as ~F16 otherwise, the shots will be softer, is this true?

The second:

CF942F4300A3468F87EFB7A231FDDC5E-0000334039-0002258881-00800L-1EDC55F355AC4F8FAAC9D9F7E7AB4621.jpg
    Again, same as the first really..

Lastly,

0766F2719AA941BF90B3E9D02BCD0581-0000334039-0002258876-00800L-FEB8F17667754CA4980404770190BD9E.jpg

What would you have done differently to improve this shot?

All shots were shot in JPEG with no PP (I will move onto RAW later on, but for now, want to focus on doing better without the needs for PP)

Any comments/feedback welcome.. I'm still learning as I go along but would be great to get some feedback off you guys!

Thanks in advance.

Will
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Sometimes to get the level of sharpness from front to back, you need to focus 1/3rd into the shot. This is known as the hyperfocal distance.

I really like the last shot. Great colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

swingking wrote: »
    Sometimes to get the level of sharpness from front to back, you need to focus 1/3rd into the shot. This is known as the hyperfocal distance.

I really like the last shot. Great colours.

Hi SwingKing,

thanks very much for the feedback, much appreciated.

I like the last shot too, I took around 3 or 4 variations of the shot but I think that one came out the best.

I will have to look into hyperfocal distance.

Anyone else any feedback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

The first 2 shots are a bit dark which will be a combination of using F22 and probably pointing the camera at the sky while you were metering it. Skies are bright so the camera under-exposes and you end up with dark landscape/foreground.

Try opening up the aperture a bit - I normally start around F16 and work from there - and point the camera at whatever you want to show off most in the shot. There doesn't need to be a specific subject but if you want to show the lake and its surroundings then point the camera at that and then (while keeping your shutter button half-depressed) move the camera to compose your shot. This will make sure your main area of interest is properly exposed.

Some lenses do go soft at the extremes of their aperture ranges but that's an L quality lens you have so it shouldn't be too bad. Certainly not as soft as those 2 images are coming out. What shutter speed did the camera/you use? Maybe it was a bit slow.

And with a 5D mark II you can afford to let the ISO go up a bit (I have one and leave it on auto - this camera is clear as day up to ISO 1600 at least). That'll let you go faster on the shutter speed.

You might actually benefit a lot from doing a quick course as well - the Institute of Photography do a great beginner's landscape course that explains all of the above and more, a lot better than I ever will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Promac wrote: »
    Some lenses do go soft at the extremes of their aperture ranges but that's an L quality lens you have so it shouldn't be too bad. Certainly not as soft as those 2 images are coming out. What shutter speed did the camera/you use? Maybe it was a bit slow.

It's a physics thing actually, at least up in the f/16 f/22 range, doesn't matter about the quality of the glass, sharpness will start to drop off due to diffraction at some point. In general (because you're enlarging the image more to get a correspondingly sized view) the smaller the sensor the faster this will start showing up.

http://www.dofmaster.com/hyperfocal.html is a good reference for all things DOF and hyperfocal related. I have a chart printed out from that site pasted onto the side of my 20->35 :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

That's a great site. It's on my bookmarks bar already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

#3 is really good. Great colours.

#1&2 don't do anything for me. I can't see what the subject is really. I'm guessing it's the lake but it's too small in both.

Colours could do with some umph! as it's a bit flat looking.

Perhaps revisit the site at sunrise or sunset and try a different angle. Imagine in you head what type of shot you'd like to see hanging on your wall and then try and get it.

Landscape is not easy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

#3 is by far the best IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll be defintitely trying to sign up to some training courses this summer. I actually thought landscapes would be one of the easier things to shoot but how wrong am I!

Advertisement