Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC securwatch alarm, which SMS card?

Options
  • 11-04-2011 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

hi folks, i have a HKC securwatch alarm , fitted in 05, not sure what GSM unit to fit, and also if its easy to fit?

i was looking at the GSM-M or the GSM-P http://www.hkc.ie/hkc/Main/Products_Communications_Eqt.htm but not so sure what the differences are.

i was quoted €450 to have fitted and installed but not sure what model installer quoted.

is this an easy option to fit myself? the installer fitted my alarm, in 05.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

ingen wrote: »
    hi folks, i have a HKC securwatch alarm , fitted in 05, not sure what GSM unit to fit, and also if its easy to fit?

i was looking at the GSM-M or the GSM-P http://www.hkc.ie/hkc/Main/Products_Communications_Eqt.htm but not so sure what the differences are.

i was quoted €450 to have fitted and installed but not sure what model installer quoted.

is this an easy option to fit myself? the installer fitted my alarm, in 05.

cheers

Simple to do if you have the engineer code off the alarm. The HKC-P is the one for your alarm. Any network once you have a signal will work with this unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

altor wrote: »
    Simple to do if you have the engineer code off the alarm. The HKC-P is the one for your alarm. Any network once you have a signal will work with this unit.

hi altor, i made sure to get the engineer code when alarm was installed, installer was a bit miffed at the time when i asked for the code, but i got it.

what is the cost of the GSM-P unit?

when i spoke with installer, he mentioned that he needed 2 cards, one gsm card, and another to let the panel talk to the card? could be this right?

hi altor, i made sure to get the engineer code when alarm was installed, installer was a bit miffed at the time when i asked for the code, but i got it.

what is the cost of the GSM-P unit?

when i spoke with installer, he mentioned that he needed 2 cards, one gsm card, and another to let the panel talk to the card? could be this right?

Hi ingen,

You are in a better position than most if you have the engineer code :D

It costs me €320 for the unit in R.E.W. The unit comes with the two cards you need to connect from the unit to the panel. Very easy to set up yourself. All you will need is a 6 core cable between the GSM-P and the control panel.

Any problems let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Panel might need a firmware upgrade to work with the GSM unit

There should be no need for a firmware upgrade for a new GSM to work with the 8/12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

altor wrote: »
    Any network once you have a signal will work with this unit.

Would a 'pay as you go sim' work in this unit ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes.
    Ideally have the option to top up online.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

KoolKid wrote: »
    Yes.
    Ideally have the option to top up online.

Very good. I don't know the minimum top up interval with O2 these days, but I know it used to be a lot longer than 087.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'm sure its in here somewhere.

Satts wrote: »
    Would a 'pay as you go sim' work in this unit ?

Yes any sim will work with the HKC GSM. Simply register the sim on line and get the code so you can check the credit plus top it up without having to take the sim out of the unit every time. Make sure you activate the sim once every 5-6 months to keep it alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭BugBlaster

the old saying when the customer misses a test call. Ideally avoid the pay as you go scenario as i have seen the top ups missed and without credit its a dead duck.

BugBlaster wrote: »
    the old saying when the customer misses a test call. Ideally avoid the pay as you go scenario as i have seen the top ups missed and without credit its a dead duck.

I agree to a certain extent but bill pay compared to ready to go is more expensive.

Its also very easy to set a recurring 6 month reminder on a calandar on your phone or your Google Calendar etc..

Or set up the service interval on the alarm for 6 months as a reminder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

hi altor,

i went with the gsm-p in the end, very tidy unit, works well
    mobile signal is showing as 45% when i send a status text... must try and find a network with a better signal. simple to configure, and setup.

hi altor,

i went with the gsm-p in the end, very tidy unit, works well
    mobile signal is showing as 45% when i send a status text... must try and find a network with a better signal. simple to configure, and setup.

Thanks for letting us know ingen. Simple to program also when you have the engineer code :D Try placing the GSM in a different location to get a better signal as the stronger the signal the better.

Advertisement