Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned in Donegal

Options
  • 11-04-2011 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

I have been banned for 14 days for posting off topic.

The topic was the burning of a Gosafe van. I posted regarding speed vans imposing a driving ban on drivers instead of a fine and also made a post regarding boy racers. I was told this was off topic BUT the moderator also posted off topic by mentioning a garda traffic corp vehicle - nothing to do with Gosafe.

I feel that i have been banned simply because my opinion differed to that of the two moderators.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hi,

Here are 2 of your posts in that thread,to be honest you could have been banned for a few reasons.
    yourpics wrote: »
    good to see the community taking initiative on this one
    the only scumbags are those operating the vans.

no point in saying "They are just doing there job". it doesn't say much for your profession if you have to hide around corners and in ditches to do your work!!

So its harsh to say it was just for off topic posting.Ban upheld.

Dub13

As I taught you were not just banned for off topic posting,the mods have been onto me and here is a copy of the PM sent to you.
    I have thought about this a bit and consulted with Muffler, and you have now racked up 3 infractions in a short period of time less than 24hours and following your 2nd infraction last night you were given a stern warning that if you went out of line again you would be banned. therefore on gaining the 3rd infraction I have banned you for 2 weeks.

Please dont post off topic of nasty comments when the ban is up.

Regards.

Its a bit disingenuous to come on here and suggest that you were banned for just posting off topic after you were sent that PM which clearly outlines why you were banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

The first two infractions received are obviously because the Moderators do not agree with my opinion. The moderator's pointed out that burning a speed van is illegal - there are numerous people on various forums condoning far worse. My second post is factual in nature i.e. speed vans ARE hidden in certain locations.
    In relation to my 3rd infraction, I may have posted off-topic but so did the moderator. I hope you can now appreciate it from my viewpoint.
    I think it is extremely harsh to be banned from the entire region "Donegal" as opposed to the "goSafe" thread.
    I feel that both moderators have abused their positions. They have colluded and banned me for possessing a different viewpoint to them. But if we are to have a discussion on boards.ie there needs to be people both for and against the particular topic. The type of policing we have seen on the GoSafe thread leads to a one-sided discussion - which isn't really a discussion.

Reading through the dispute resolution section, it seems like Muffler's name and decisions keep appearing.

I have just noticed that a FACTUAL POST that I made has also been deleted. It relates to a speed van hiding behind a high clay mound. This is FACT and not opinion. I think there is a serious issue with the moderators here - they are not allowing any discussion which does not form part of their opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yourpics sitebanned for one week for registering a duplicate account to circumvent a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

The first two infractions received are obviously because the Moderators do not agree with my opinion. The moderator's pointed out that burning a speed van is illegal - there are numerous people on various forums condoning far worse.

Your first 2 infractions were given on the basis that you Condoned illegal action by the burning out of a Gosafe van.
    yourpics wrote:
    My second post is factual in nature i.e. speed vans ARE hidden in certain locations.

This post was only Deleted you didn't receive an infraction for it but the thread is titled "Gosafe Van Burnt Out In Inishowen" but your post (see below) had nothing to do with the topic being discussed, and contributed nothing to the thread
    There is a van positioned on a road in the Northwest behind a large clay bund. (The purpose of this bund is to screen some sort of waste facility from the road)
    yourpics wrote:
    In relation to my 3rd infraction, I may have posted off-topic but so did the moderator. I hope you can now appreciate it from my viewpoint.

So you admit to posting off topic after being advised about posting off topic, yet you still disagree with the ban??? You posted numerous off topic posts on the GoSafe van thread also not just the one. Also I referenced the GoSafe van being burnt out in my post. yours had nothing to do with the issue being discussed, the gosafe van being burnt out!

yourpics wrote:
    I feel that both moderators have abused their positions. They have colluded and banned me for possessing a different viewpoint to them. But if we are to have a discussion on boards.ie there needs to be people both for and against the particular topic. The type of policing we have seen on the GoSafe thread leads to a one-sided discussion - which isn't really a discussion.

Reading through the dispute resolution section, it seems like Muffler's name and decisions keep appearing.

If you can prove where i have "abused my position" that'd be great because from what i can make out i was doing exactly what the volunteer Mod's are supposed to do. We encourage healthy debate and don't try and encourage one sided discussion as you say but i will put emphasis on the "healthy" bit above because what you posted (quoted in post 2 above) was abusive and encouraging Illegal activities.

Too summarise you received 2 infractions you were then warned and asked to read over the charter in the Donegal forum and the terms which you agreed to when you signed up via PM then you posted a further infractable post so the decision was made to give you a 2 week ban, (edit: I forgot to ad, that you had also argued with a Mod on thread after your second infraction which we let slide, but its a banable offense in itself! I feel we were very fair in dealing with you/edit) and i stand by that ban! Up to the Cmod to decide now based on what both sides have said!
    P.S. i was asked to post here by Dub13.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Siteban lifted to allow this issue to be addressed fully and quickly.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Siteban lifted to allow this issue to be addressed fully and quickly.

Sincere thanks for a reasonable and level-headed approach to the situation

yes burning a speed van is illegal but there are people on here condoning a lot worse.
    yes i strayed off topic but only in order to answer a person who had put down mis-information.
    and finally, a two week ban from the entire donegal forum is excessive, one week would have been sufficent.

I have reviewed this and think the ban was merited,their are few reasons why you could have been banned,condoning attacking a speed van,argued with Mods on thread,receiving 3 infractions in close proximity.I think the mods handled this fine and even showed you some slack.

Its no defense to say 'there are people on here condoning a lot worse' we in the Donegal forum have our own set of rules as I am sure you are aware boards is a group of forums most have different rules.
    and finally, a two week ban from the entire donegal forum is excessive, one week would have been sufficent.

While not excessive if you have of came on here and showed regret for what you posted and gave an undertaking to change your posting style I could have had a word with the mods and see if we could agree to drop the ban down to a week.By coming on here and still not see the point the mods were making you took this option out of my hands.

So as I said ban upheld,as with any Dispute Resolution process you can request an Admin to look into this as the final stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement