Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''failed'' blood?

Options
  • 11-04-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi
    quick question,
    was at my first doctors appointment last week and they took some blood samples- 3 lots. I didnt think of asking at the time, what it is they test for..
    anyway I got home from work today and there is a letter here that says ''the blood samples we took have failed and we ask that you make an appointment to have some new samples taken''.

anyone have any idea what this means? I am hoping it just means the samples went bad and they couldn't use them..
    I can only get hold of them from 9 oclock tomorrow, but my head will be wrecked from now til then :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Just means the samples clotted before they were processed, it happens all the time. Nothing to worry about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

yeah you just need to get them taken again.. My GP doenst take blood late in the afternoon to prevent this from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi, Thanks very much for the replies. My mind is a bit more at ease now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Janey, don't be stressing over it. The tests are standard, for check up on illness and gestational diabetes all that kinda thing.

As for the tests failing, thats nowt, it just means that a few of the vials didn't yield enough blood to do some of the tests so now they'll do them all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

If all of the tests are said to have failed, it could be that whoever took your bloods didn't put the correct name and date of birth for you on the tubes, or didn't label them at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Yeah I had the same the other day. Got a letter on Wednesday saying I needed to drop in another urine sample to check for infection. Thankfully I didn't go in on Thursday, because that evening I got another letter saying that my Rubella screening couldn't be processed due to processing errors and could I come in & get my blood test again. The girl in phlebotomy said that it was probably because my blood clotted too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

emmiou wrote: »
    If all of the tests are said to have failed, it could be that whoever took your bloods didn't put the correct name and date of birth for you on the tubes, or didn't label them at all!

You hit the nail on the head! I went back to get blood taken yesterday and was told by the (very apologetic) nurse that she forgot to label the last lot of blood and so they needed to do the whole thing again as a matter of procedure. Don't know why they didn't just say that on the letter, rather than telling me the blood had failed..

Thanks again everyone for all the replies.:)

Advertisement