Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 400cc sports bike?? cbr? vfr? rvf?

Options
  • 11-04-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Will be 21 soon and therefore can be insured on a 400cc sports bike...

I plan on using the bike almost everyday so was wondering which of these bikes fits the bill?? Was looking at a cbr 400... But whats the main difference between that and the vfr's or the rvf's...? I got the impression that cbr's were more of a toy than a reliable bike for everyday commuting. Or maybe thats just the cbr 250...? I hear they're not very reliable.

I'm 6 foot tall...and do plan on restricting the bike of course. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think that all those you listed are pretty reliable, they are Honda after all.
    Of the models you listed, the RVF is probably the highest state of tune, then VFR then CBR.
    Those CBR 250s are very reliable machines even if they are getting long in the tooth now.
    The 400's are a big step up from the 250 class machines performance wise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

RVFs are sexy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Rvf is fierce deadly looking in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TowerIRL

Have you considered a ZXR 400? Great fun bike even when restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 trippjesus

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think that all those you listed are pretty reliable, they are Honda after all.
    Of the models you listed, the RVF is probably the highest state of tune, then VFR then CBR.
    Those CBR 250s are very reliable machines even if they are getting long in the tooth now.
    The 400's are a big step up from the 250 class machines performance wise.

Thanks for the info. Which would you recommend then? I have a 125 virago at the moment and it struggles to get to 55mph so I'm pretty sick of the lack of power! If i got a 400 I'd be restricting it anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 trippjesus

TowerIRL wrote: »
    Have you considered a ZXR 400? Great fun bike even when restricted.

Ya I'm looking through all 400 sportsbikes! I hear the engines on the zxr400 aren't great? Maybe I'm wrong on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TowerIRL

trippjesus wrote: »
    Ya I'm looking through all 400 sportsbikes! I hear the engines on the zxr400 aren't great? Maybe I'm wrong on that one.

Try go for one up in the years, definitely one of the more fun bikes to ride IMO and they're probably the biggest 400 out there. They do need some extra maintnance but its well worth it IMO. . . Try get a drive on one and see what u think, once your out of the restriction period they're a fairly quick pocket rocket lol, so ya'd sort of be gettin 2 bikes in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Zxr 400 is a lovely bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

had 3 of them 400s and with you been a tall lad ya might feel a lil bit cramped on them,,but to sum it up vfr great bike handles brillianty but sore wrists and lower back on extended spins ,,zxr fastest of the 3 in a straigh line and drives very well even restricted,,mine still did over the ton restricted for the while i had it but again sore wrists after long spins,,cant rember too much about the cbr didnt bother with it as i passed me full test but sounded well aswell,,never had a rvf as i found them all over priced but ya can always stick a
    a zxr front end onto a vfr and if you can source a hrc cdi for the vfr and get it dyno set up ya have a very responsive wepon between ur two legs haha ,,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

have a cbr 400 for a couple of years now, great craic plenty fast enough and great handling, can pretty much take any corner flat out, dont know what they like restricted, dont think id bother:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Nothing unsexy about the CBR, if you get a nice one: http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-cbr400rr/63634-honda-cbr-400-photos-thread-6.html
    And no problem picking up parts if the need arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

I had a VFR400; I really like the look and the sound, but it was too cramped (I'm 5'11")

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Get Cracking

ZXR 400S are leathel bikes,
    iv owned close to 40 bikes,from mitos to rsvs.
    NOTHING makes my blood boil like a zxr 400 .:D
    Handeling is something else.
    I have one now iv been working on for 3 years,
    hoping for over 70 bhp and under 135 kg.
    already put in 4500 euro not including price of bike!
    il try to get a pic up.:D

attached should be a pic of my zxr,

pics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

great lookin machine ya got going there!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Whats with the brick on the seat? You brickin it?:D

Advertisement