Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Register as a GP patient

Options
  • 11-04-2011 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just trying to get to see local GP in Kells, and anywhere when I tell them I am a new patient, they say I have to "register" to see if the doctor will take me on??

Has it gotten to the stage where doctors can choose their patients, and on what criteria?? One place, said come in fill out a form and we'll get back to you.. Any idea what's going on..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

When I first came to Drogheda, the medical practice I wanted to visit would only take new patients from a specific geographical area as their patient list was full - another told me there was a "waiting list" to be accepted.

So you're not alone in your experience in Kells.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

HI
    as other person said you are not the only person who this has happened tp.As an outsider in kells the same happened to me.You dont have to be an existing patient with the beacon clinic in kells.They are located out the cavan road beside supervalue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

GP,s have an unwritten contract agreement between each other that they wont steal each others patients , hence the contrived policy of not seeing patients from outside thier catchment :rolleyes: area , if i was unhappy with my gp in summerhill for example , i need not try and make an appointment with a GP operating in neighbouring kilcock , always amuses me how doctors try so hard to seperate themselves from the rif raf , if i were to go to tesco tommorrow , i dont imagine the person at the cash till would enquire as to why i didnt just go to super value , doctors see themselves as above vulgar competition , they dont like to undercut each other like other service providers , when it comes to GP ,s in this country , the public are forced to put up with what is nothing short of a price fixed cosy cartel within an utterly sheltered sector of the economy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

paulski999 wrote: »
    Has it gotten to the stage where doctors can choose their patients

Yes, this is not particularly unusual and is often reported by people new to an area. Go in, fill out the form, and see what happens.

(or arrive at their door claiming to have chest pain, and see if they refuse you entry)*

* this is a joke :)

Advertisement