Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dance Music basic arrangements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Nice one mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Good stuff man
    Should definetly help alot of folks out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

seannash wrote: »
    Good stuff man
    Should definetly help alot of folks out

Hopefully i'll get some better editing software and do some more in depth stuff - but these are pretty easy for me to knock up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Excellent!

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Good stuff, some nice advice in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Nice fireplace too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Cheers Neuro. I'll have a look later.

Maybe you should get a sticky going for videos & tips like this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

splitrmx wrote: »
    Nice fireplace too!

Yeah, I really liked the fireplace. I wish I had a fire place - some place I could stick little ornaments on.

krd wrote: »
    Yeah, I really liked the fireplace. I wish I had a fire place - some place I could stick little ornaments on.

Haha, nobodies spotted the nappies yet then :P

Neurojazz wrote: »

Please don't laugh too hard at me :P - too old to care!

Enjoy.

That's good approach. It literally took me years to build/finish my first track. The thing is, you really forget all the hard stuff you had to learn that seems so simple now (there's is a lot of stuff I haven't learned). Like, what is a bar, what is 16 bars - What does it really mean. There are literally hundreds of bits of technique that you learn - and are not even aware of knowing.

There is one major drawback to that method (we'll call the NJ Basic Arrangement recipe or whateva)

It's the best method to use to force someone to go from 1 bar doodles to building something that resembles a whole track.

It's the best way to get all your lines in melodic and rhythmic agreement and build up other lines that will be in agreement across the track.

And this is always where the major problem is. You can get locked into a situation where the entire track is in melodic and rhythmic agreement. Sometimes that's perfect - sometimes it is not.

Hearing the same section repeat again and again for hours eventually melts your brains.

I've been experimenting with all kinds of methods - some work-ish, some half work......some.... do not work.

The other thing about getting bogged down in sounds. I think it's something everyone has to go through.

Having the basic sounds ready can really speed things up. I've experimented with so many ways of doing my drums I don't have a neat ready to go setup up.

I'm just going to ask you something else -- but I just want to post this comment .

• Advertisement

Haha, nobodies spotted the nappies yet then :P

There's an old guy who lives around near me, who goes dumpster diving in the Spar bins (looking for past sell by date food). And he's rooting around in it one day while I'm walking past - Suddenly realises what one of the things he's been feeling and rooting with his fingers is, and shouts "De fawkin Bich - she put them fawkin' nappies in the bin"

...I'm just going to ask you something else -- but I just want to post this comment .

This example is a sort of general way i'd work... it can change of course - not a fixed thing.

If there's any major areas or mystery to clear up - just ask and i'll spill what I know - which is sometimes limited ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Neuro im not a big trance fan but it would be cool if you could post the drums and bass that make up that classic sounding rolling bass and drum groove in the video that make up alot of trance song

Any chance of a loop of each of the drum elements and midi of the bass,maybe even a sustained note of the root note of the bass so we could just chuck it in a sampler and recreate the bassline using the midi

Big ask i know but i for one would be curious to have goo :D

seannash wrote: »
    Neuro im not a big trance fan but it would be cool if you could post the drums and bass that make up that classic sounding rolling bass and drum groove in the video that make up alot of trance song

Any chance of a loop of each of the drum elements and midi of the bass,maybe even a sustained note of the root note of the bass so we could just chuck it in a sampler and recreate the bassline using the midi

Big ask i know but i for one would be curious to have goo :D

I could probably sort that out - the bass lines for that sort of trance are painfully simple... just stick 16ths in and remove the 16th on each bass drum ;) - but will do a vid (just of the daw probably, so you can see what goes on)

the bass lines for that sort of trance are painfully simple...

Painfully simple when, you how.

Otherwise, they can be painful.

I've got a great idea for a variation on the tutorial - Including something along the lines of what Sean said.

I'll post Tommorow.

NJ. Thanks for posting the tutorial - and no one is laughing. But - should you since you're doing something in public with your image try to maintain like a showbiz public image.

Like it would be a disappointed for people if you didn't try to appear like you do in the publicity shots.

kajagoogoo-209472.jpg

Painfully simple when, you how.

Otherwise, they can be painful.

I've got a great idea for a variation on the tutorial - Including something along the lines of what Sean said.

I'll post Tommorow.

NJ. Thanks for posting the tutorial - and no one is laughing. But - should you since you're doing something in public with your image try to maintain like a showbiz public image.

Like it would be a disappointed for people if you didn't try to appear like you do in the publicity shots.

kajagoogoo-209472.jpg

I'll go get some hair gel tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Thanks Neuro. Very good tips there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Great tips.. and you used the word procrastinating!! I cant even f**king spell it!! top marks!!:D

Advertisement