Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversion Courses in Finance

Options
  • 11-04-2011 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering about various finance postgrads open to engineering graduates. I'm currently completing my degree in Civil Engineering. As the career prospects are so poor (I know finance is'nt necessarily full of jobs either) and I have a general interest in business and finance I am considering a postgrad in this area. I am hoping to obtain peoples thoughs on this line of thinking. I'll outline some of the courses I've been looking at and hopefully people will have some suggestions.

MSc in Finance and Capital Markets at DCU
    Postrgraduate Diploma in Finance at DIT
    Higher Diploma in Accounting and Corporate Finance at UCC
    Higher Diploma in Business Studies at NUIG

Now my line of thinking is that if I wish to go into finance area I should consider one of the first three as its more specific than the last. The business studies Higher Diploma is more general and not orientated specifically to finance. I am considering it as currently study there. I know there are courses in the Smurfit Business School etc but they are more costly and I'm not completely sure are any of their courses open to non Business graduates.

Has any one any opinions. Your thoughs are much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

I know there are courses in the Smurfit Business School etc but they are more costly and I'm not completely sure are any of their courses open to non Business graduates.

Perhaps it would be wise to answer this question before deciding what to do
    click on http://www.smurfitschool.ie/tools/programmefinder/ and select Engineering from the first drop down box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

graduate wrote: »
    Perhaps it would be wise to answer this question before deciding what to do
    click on http://www.smurfitschool.ie/tools/programmefinder/ and select Engineering from the first drop down box.

Thanks for that. It gave me three possibilities.

M.Sc in Business Analytics
    M.Sc in Quant Finance
    M.Sc in Finance

The first one is an interesting course, with a mix of IT and Finance, however being from a Civil Engineering background I don't think I would fill the criteria of having some programming as part of my primary degree.

The quantitative finance one is a course I have heard of. I have known of Civil Eng graduates doing the course. Probably not a runner at the moment for me though as its very expensive.

Same goes for the M.Sc in Finance.

I suppose though I could dig deeper and see whats a definate runner or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

Thanks for that. It gave me three possibilities.

M.Sc in Business Analytics
    M.Sc in Quant Finance
    M.Sc in Finance

Engineers make up a large part of the intake of the M.Sc in Business Analytics, they have the appropriate background for the programme that has a substantial component of applied maths.

Civil eng grads have sometimes done less programming than some of the other Eng branches, but are otherwise well suited. If people don't have a formal programming qualification the MSc people will give you a test, if that's what you want.

Graduates of the MSc often end up with companies in the financial sector, like First Derivatives or Murex, as do graduates of the MSc Quant Finance.

If you are in Dublin call out to the open evening tomorrow and have a chat with someone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭forfcksake

hi all,
    I am pretty much in the same situation as the OP, going into my final year of civil, but really looking to do some sort of conversion course, the one that stood out from the link above for me was the MSc in Project Management. I am just wondering has anyone got any experience of this course or of the whole conversion process from civil.
    cheers in advance!

Advertisement