Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap side by side recommendations

Options
  • 11-04-2011 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of changing the semi auto for a side by side. The shotgun sees little use compared to the rifle so I don't need anything amazing. Something that will do for rough shooting and the odd few clay shoots.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Are there brands to look out for or stay well away from. I don't want to spend much given th amount of use it will get and the fact that I would rather not worry about scratching the walnut on a berreta or something of that caliber.

OR! Should I just forget about the side by side and look at an O/U?

Thanks for any info you might have. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I had a Baikal S/S and it was a brilliant, cheap gun .............. regret selling it sometimes :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I had a Baikal S/S and it was a brilliant, cheap gun .............. regret selling it sometimes :o

Me too, Brother has it 6 years now and it does all he wants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

That sounds like what I'm looking for alright. Any particular model?

Hibrion wrote: »
    That sounds like what I'm looking for alright. Any particular model?

Newer, more expensive model has multi chokes, older model I had didn't. Think they only do one model as such..............indestructable;)?

I like the sound of 'indestructible'. I will keep my eye out for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Look for a second-hand AyA no.4. Infinitely nicer gun than the Baikals, and I bought one for €300. Handles beautifully and fit and finish is lightyears ahead of the Russian gun. One of my summer projects is to refinish the stock and metalwork, have it nice and pretty for the next season.

Look for a second-hand AyA no.4. Infinitely nicer gun than the Baikals, and I bought one for €300. Handles beautifully and fit and finish is lightyears ahead of the Russian gun. One of my summer projects is to refinish the stock and metalwork, have it nice and pretty for the next season.

Are they Multi choke and can they take 3" mag Shells?

No and no, but the OP didn't request either. You want to fire full house 3" magnum shells from a 6 1/4 pound side by side, be my guest, but you won't have much of a queue waiting for a go.

3" Magnums.......................why :confused::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Only shot a Baikal SBS once, kicked like a cranky mule. Look for the AYA :)

• Advertisement

Fired a Baikal single barrel a while back and with 65mm 1oz loads, it kicked like a standard 70mm cartridge in a more typical gun. With heavy loads? It'd be brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

lots of side by sides in dealers as they're not as popular anymore, some nice guns to be gotten cheap, go check out a few dealers and handle as many as you can then come back to us with makes and models that you like and the guys here can tell you whether they are reliable and keenly priced

3" Magnums.......................why :confused::rolleyes:

Does Rough shooting not including using the use of the below?

http://www.eleyhawkltd.com/gamecarts-magnum.html

Rough shooting I'd think the option of shooting a Fox or a long range Duck should always be considered.

Even my Old Baikal could fire 3" shells (it had fixed chokes)

The Lumar could fire 3" and had multichokes and I bought it for €450 second hand if I remember correctly.

The OP looked for advice, if you are advising anyone, always let them know the limitations of the Gun.

Nobody likes to be restricted ;)
    Or on the restricted list :eek:

If the OP never wants to shoot a duck, Goose, Fox then the Aya is fine

Baikal for the money are good value, even Yildiz.
    Dev110 has a lovely Yildiz semi and many have remarked on how nice it looks

Thanks for all the help lads. I'm not all that concerned about heavy, 3" shells to be honest. I do however appreciate the advise.
    My mossberg semi prefers heavier loads but I find little need for their use. That's just one of the reasons for this possible change.

Does Rough shooting not including using the use of the below?..........

All you need and only 70mm case ;)

http://www.eleyhawkltd.com/gamecarts-alphamax.html

Shot LOTS of foxes with these :cool:

Thanks for all the help lads. I'm not all that concerned about heavy, 3" shells to be honest. I do however appreciate the advise.
    My mossberg semi prefers heavier loads but I find little need for their use. That's just one of the reasons for this possible change.

€200 would get you a Fixed choke Baikal sxs
    http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_05_2010/post-17242-1274794591.jpg

I shot an awful lot of birds with my old one

You saying you can't shoot duck, foxes or geese with ordinary 2 3/4" cartridges? I reckon you'll have to tell an awful lot of people they've not actually been killing all those animals for years and that it was an illusion.

You saying you can't shoot duck, foxes or geese with ordinary 2 3/4" cartridges? I reckon you'll have to tell an awful lot of people they've not actually been killing all those animals for years and that it was an illusion.

Gosún, I shot Duck with trap shells off the drain in front of my house @ 10-20 yards

However, since I also shoot the Shannon Callows Duck tend to be further away or flying high

I shot plenty with 2 3/4's, just like to keep options open.

Goose shooting in Fermanagh etc

and I like to be able to change chokes around if the needs be.

Lumar offer all that for small money and are a very aesthetic gun

Gosún, I shot Duck with trap shells off the drain in front of my house @ 10-20 yards

However, since I also shoot the Shannon Callows Duck tend to be further away or flying high

I shot plenty with 2 3/4's, just like to keep options open.

Goose shooting in Fermanagh etc

and I like to be able to change chokes around if the needs be.

Lumar offer all that for small money and are a very aesthetic gun

The only sensible thing in the whole of that post is the reference to Lumars.

My brother had one and it was a fine gun ;)

The only sensible thing in the whole of that post is the reference to Lumars.

My brother had one and it was a fine gun ;)

We almost agree, that is good enough for me!

• Advertisement

We almost agree, that is good enough for me!

You don't write ****e all the time................just most of it :P

You don't write ****e all the time................just most of it :P

I'm not always right, But I'm never wrong :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I had a baikal too years ago and found it great , the stock is too short on them but if you extend it a bit they're fine, a lot of dealers don't stock side by sides anymore as they are out of fashion , but they are the best gun for rough shooting as you do a lot more carrying then shooting.
    If you root around dealers shelves you might get something really nice for less then you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

As far as I know there's still a thight enough little non-ejector merkel standing for sale in the Gun Gallery in Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I have one of these about 15 years. Smashing gun. I'll always keep it.

Going to look at a couple of Baikals in the morning to see how they feel. Local RFD has a few for the 300 quid mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Going to look at a couple of Baikals in the morning to see how they feel. Local RFD has a few for the 300 quid mark.

Just to add my tuppence

If you are goin to the RFD anyway,enquire about a Sabel(.A cheaper cousin of the AYA)
    A lovely gun to shoot and nice and light to carry.
    I had both about 20years ago and there was nothing wrong with either but just found that the Sabel was a nicer gun.
    Best of luck
    I'd imagine that they would be in the same price bracket as the Baikal

+1 for the Sable :cool:

A friend of mine has one for years and it is a lovely gun.

Never seen one for sale anywhere though :(

Just back from the rfd. He had an AYA and a couple of Baikals but I ended up going with a Zabala. Done a straight swap for my mossberg.
    It was a nice gun. 26 inch barrels, multi choke, 3 inch chambers, single trigger, straight stock. Felt the best of the whole lot.

Its a bit late now, but does anyone have any opinions on them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Opinions seems to be split , some say they are rubbish and others say they are ok, you might have been better off ponying up the bit extra for the aya.

Advertisement