Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which 30/30

Options
  • 11-04-2011 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Sorry to post two new threads within a few minutes of one another but they are unrelated and I thought this was best.

I've decided to try and get a lever action 30/30 for deer. A good portion of the land I stalk on is woodland and a lever action would be ideal. With the new lever revolution ammo it seems the 30/30 will reach out as far as 200 yards which would be a nice option to have.

The question is should I look at a Winchester model 1894 or a Marlin 336? I'd love to hear from anyone with first hand experience of either rifle.

I want to use the iron sights for now to see how I get on so mounting a scope is, for the moment, of no concern to me.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Hibrion wrote: »
    Sorry to post two new threads within a few minutes of one another but they are unrelated and I thought this was best.

I've decided to try and get a lever action 30/30 for deer. A good portion of the land I stalk on is woodland and a lever action would be ideal. With the new lever revolution ammo it seems the 30/30 will reach out as far as 200 yards which would be a nice option to have.

The question is should I look at a Winchester model 84 or a Marlin 336? I'd love to hear from anyone with first hand experience of either rifle.

I want to use the iron sights for now to see how I get on so mounting a scope is, for the moment, of no concern to me.

Thanks
    Are you sure you can get ammo?
    It is an oddball round over here

Like a winchester myself, just because of the Iconic image
    A122.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Ammo shouldn't be a probably as I will probably buy in bulk. I was thinking the winchester might be good for a lefty like me as it ejects up rather than out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

The Marlin 336XLR. Mounting a scope is relatively easy as the receiver is tapped.

Ammo shouldn't be a probably as I will probably buy in bulk. I was thinking the winchester might be good for a lefty like me as it ejects up rather than out.

They will work, but I'd just be sure before you buy.

Dealers could hold you to ransom on ammo price, and accuracy might not be wonderful

In saying that, heart lung shot deer ~100 yards 1" either way will not make much difference

I shoot lefty as well so I understand where you come from, but I also bought an odd ball rifle or two in my time and as a result I'm just telling you to explore all options before you buy something non standard for the Irish scene

My brother is a ciotóg and I have watched him shoot a Marlin with no problems. It ejects upwards and to the right over your arm.

• Advertisement

Hibrion,

Just for clarification you are referring to a Winchester model 1894.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Both are good makes ,but might be better towards the marlin,just for parts and warrenty issues,if it should come up.ASFIK Winchester isnt making guns anymore and is bankrupt,the ammo section still exists and thats seemingly all they are making.:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Maybe that's why the Winchesters seem to be a bit cheaper than the Marlins, Grizzly. Have you any experience using either for deer?

Just been on to Paul in East Coast Dog and Gun and he always has 30/30 ammo there. A few different types too. Its working out at about 25-30 quid a box. I'm thinking I might import a rifle from the UK as there are a few good lever actions on guntrader for cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Affectionately known as the "30-30 deerwounder" in the US, at least where I hunt anyway.
    A round favoured by the Amish too it would seem.
    From what I heard, you'd be better off choosing a different calibre.

• Advertisement

I have a 308 for general deer stalking. The 30/30 is something I think will allow me to get the most out of the land I hunt over as there is a good chunk of woodland full of deer. I'd like something that only has enough pop to operate over shorter distances and I will still have the 308 for long range hunting.

If I have it right, and I may not, the 30/30 seems to have similar stopping power to a 243 over shorter distances.

Maybe that's why the Winchesters seem to be a bit cheaper than the Marlins, Grizzly. Have you any experience using either for deer?

Afraid not:).
    Only ever fired a 30/30 Winchester lever action years ago,at tin cans in the US.Proably the most common type of gun and round in the US for deer hunting.It has been dropping deer and black bear for yonks.Ballisticly it compares somwhat to the 7.62X39 ,which will with a non FMJ round drop deer very well.Would say it is more down to poor shooting and aiming than the calibre.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

For what the OP described as it's intended use I think it would work just fine.
    The 30/30 was designed by Winchester over 100 yrs ago to do one thing well : kill deer. The the 30.30 caliber is a good proven whitetail deer gun in the States. It will take 250 lb deer cleanely at 100-150 yards with a 160 - 170 grain bullet and it gives light felt recoil to the shooters upper torso. As Griz said the .30.30 cartridge is what the 7.62x39 is compared to ballistically.

Hibrion BTW the Marlin 336 is also chambered for the .35 Remington, and A .35 will definetly do the job on red's. A 200 grain, .35 caliber, round-nosed bullet at 2100 fps offers a very useful combination of hard-hitting. knock down "thump", and deep penetration, from a fast handling rifle, with tolerable levels of felt recoil.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/ideal_deer_cartridges.htm

For what the OP described as it's intended use I think it would work just fine.
    The 30/30 was designed by Winchester over 100 yrs ago to do one thing well : kill deer. The the 30.30 caliber is a good proven whitetail deer gun in the States. It will take 250 lb deer cleanely at 100-150 yards with a 160 - 170 grain bullet and it gives light felt recoil to the shooters upper torso. As Griz said the .30.30 cartridge is what the 7.62x39 is compared to ballistically.

Hibrion BTW the Marlin 336 is also chambered for the .35 Remington, and A .35 will definetly do the job on red's. A 200 grain, .35 caliber, round-nosed bullet at 2100 fps offers a very useful combination of hard-hitting. knock down "thump", and deep penetration, from a fast handling rifle, with tolerable levels of felt recoil.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/ideal_deer_cartridges.htm

the problem is if you go over .30Cal/7.62mm you are into restricted list

Just looking at Hornady .30/30 ammo here

She has a trajectory of a stone from a sling shot
    http://www.hornady.com/store/30-30-Win-140-gr-monoflex-Leverevolution/

Not a round for head shot deer in my opinion

Tac the 30.30 is not on the restricted list. :D

Lever guns are at home - in their element - in the woods and forests where close in quick shots are the norm. That is what they excel at.
    Lever gun shooters do not expect bench rest accuracy from their 30-30 guns. Most shots are inside of a hundred meters and rarely exceed two hundred m.

Hibrion
    A Browning BLR chambered in 7mm-08 or in .358 Winchester is another option.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=003B&cat_id=034&type_id=006&content=blr-lightweight-`81-firearms

Tac the 30.30 is not on the restricted list. :D

Lever guns are at home - in their element - in the woods and forests where close in quick shots are the norm. That is what they excel at.
    Lever gun shooters do not expect bench rest accuracy from their 30-30 guns. Most shots are inside of a hundred meters and rarely exceed two hundred m.

Hibrion
    A Browning BLR chambered in 7mm-08 or in .358 Winchester is another option.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=003B&cat_id=034&type_id=006&content=blr-lightweight-`81-firearms

a .35 or .358 is restricted

I'd love to know is there anyone here using one with so many other better, more accurate calibres available.

I want to stay away from anything restricted. Even though I already have the necessary security it is just too much hassle. I would probably look at an r25 or bushmaster if I was going to go down the restricted route.

Browning might be nice but they are hard to come by.

Hib is looking at a terrain specific gun,close and fast shots rather than long reach out and touch shots.A lever action with a red dot or holo sight sounds ideal.If it works for him...
    The Browning lever actions,only advantage there is some are box loaded,so you can use pointed bullets,somthing very inadviseable in a tube fed lever action.if you wer going the Browning route,I'd just go then straight for the Browning BAR rifle in whatever calibre takes your fancy.Much more reliable and robust than the lever action supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

This is what you need, a beauty..:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XCB4A911SM

and yes, I know its restricted, but some day...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Nice. Great snap shooting. Now I want one... Would be great for rolling piggies on the continent too.

• Advertisement

Nice shooting and a lovely rifle. I think they use he 30/30 on hogs in some parts of the states to good effect. There area few cheap 1894s on gubtrader uk that i might look into.

Advertisement