Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J1 Chicago

• 11-04-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hey all!

Few general questions to ask about it!! :D
    What in peoples experience is the best mobile phone company to deal with?
    What bank is the best, with cheapest rates for savings accounts, etc.? And can you set one up before you get out there?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

I'm trying to think mate about the phones mate i think i had at&t phone not too bad but as like most coverage can be **** in areas. As regards banks i would avoid Bank of America i think they charge you when you close an account(which you'll want to do when your leaving) I wouldnt worry too much about setting up an account before you go out it won't take you that long. Iv been through a good bit of america and i must say great choice on Chi-town, its my favourite city!any more questions or whatever pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Laika1986 wrote: »
    I'm trying to think mate about the phones mate i think i had at&t phone not too bad but as like most coverage can be **** in areas. As regards banks i would avoid Bank of America i think they charge you when you close an account(which you'll want to do when your leaving) I wouldnt worry too much about setting up an account before you go out it won't take you that long. Iv been through a good bit of america and i must say great choice on Chi-town, its my favourite city!any more questions or whatever pm me

Ok thanks for that!! Yeah hopefully it'll be a great summer, nearly have accommodation sussed, up around Wrigley Field! Where did you stay when you were there? Don't have a job sorted as of yet but have applied for a lot! Anyway we'll be out at the end of May so should beat the mad rush to get a job!! :D

Padkir wrote: »
    Ok thanks for that!! Yeah hopefully it'll be a great summer, nearly have accommodation sussed, up around Wrigley Field! Where did you stay when you were there? Don't have a job sorted as of yet but have applied for a lot! Anyway we'll be out at the end of May so should beat the mad rush to get a job!! :D

I was out in a place called lake Forest was working caddying in a golf club(unreal money but hard jobs to get) Wrigley field is a serious spot baseball is a load of **** really but serious sessions around there!how many of you going?also Lincoln Park area is class for going out many hazy nights around there, especailly duffy's $20 all you can drink

Laika1986 wrote: »
    I was out in a place called lake Forest was working caddying in a golf club(unreal money but hard jobs to get) Wrigley field is a serious spot baseball is a load of **** really but serious sessions around there!how many of you going?also Lincoln Park area is class for going out many hazy nights around there, especailly duffy's $20 all you can drink

Sounds good!! Yeah we heard it was good up that side anyway and it' easy enough get around from there, good transportation!! There's 2 of us going, should be savage craic!:D

$20 All you can drink??? Honestly like...!??:confused::D Fantastic!!!

Ah yeah its serious one of the best spots iv been in!Yeah Duffys ill find out the address for ya off one of the lads food too for $20 the more ya pay the longer ya drink for but tops its 30 i think some good nights in there but i lived an hour of a taxi drive away serious messy nights in Chi Town!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bobo the clown

Ill be sure to vist duffys so when I'm out there. O'Hagans is supposed to be a great spot for a pint aswell..... Cant wait. Gonna be some summer

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pinecone

I would go with t-mobile if you're doing pay as you go. make sure you get your phone unlocked here though.

bank of america is the bank to go with because they have the most atms around - that or chase. banks charge you if you don't go to the atm of the bank that holds your account.

make sure you pick a good neighborhood to live in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PJ Holmes

Uncle Fatty's 2833 N. Sheffield, Great mix of Irish and Americans, some talent!!!
    Becketts 3210 N. Lincoln Avenue, These have J1 nights full of Irish.
    420 1/2 W Diversey, mix of Americans and Irish.

Some great memories in these spots (whats left), mix i up though and look for drink deals in other places, the young crowd will follow.

Plus for furniture look for free stuff on craiglist and on the sidewalks where people discard old stuff they don't want.

Hope this a bit of help!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 youngb

Padkir, were heading out the 24th of May but having no luck with getting a place to stay.. how did you go about it?...
    Loving the sounds of the pubs already! Gonna be a serious summer :)

youngb wrote: »
    Padkir, were heading out the 24th of May but having no luck with getting a place to stay.. how did you go about it?...
    Loving the sounds of the pubs already! Gonna be a serious summer :)

Hey we don't have a place sorted yet either, been searchin on craigslist and the likes but no luck yet!! thought we had it sorted but it fell through!! What part are ye lookin to stay in??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Lcronin2011

My sister is going out there at the end of may too :D she doesn't have accomodation yet or a job. Said shes staying in a hotel or hostel out there for the first week while she goes accomodation hunting. She said its very hard to get an idea of the apartments or the area they are in on the internet. She made a list of places to check out tho? might be an idea :) oh and shes going with t-mobile :)

awh bad buzz, we've been looking on Craiglist and now looking on FB marketplace 'cause only realised today ya can do that! ha!
    Looking to stay near Wrigglyville or Lakeview, seems to the best spot! What about you? Many of ye going over?

My sister is going out there at the end of may too :D she doesn't have accomodation yet or a job. Said shes staying in a hotel or hostel out there for the first week while she goes accomodation hunting. She said its very hard to get an idea of the apartments or the area they are in on the internet. She made a list of places to check out tho? might be an idea :) oh and shes going with t-mobile :)

Thanks for the help!! Yeah it would be easier in person alright but iv family over there that could check it out for me anyway!!:D
    youngb wrote: »
    awh bad buzz, we've been looking on Craiglist and now looking on FB marketplace 'cause only realised today ya can do that! ha!
    Looking to stay near Wrigglyville or Lakeview, seems to the best spot! What about you? Many of ye going over?
    Yeah lookin at those places too, have emailed loads in the last while but no luck yet!! Just myself and the girlfriend goin, shud be a great summer!! :D:D

Yeah we have family to help as well! Just finding a place for them to look at is the bitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

Padkir wrote: »
    Hey all!

Few general questions to ask about it!! :D
    What in peoples experience is the best mobile phone company to deal with?
    What bank is the best, with cheapest rates for savings accounts, etc.? And can you set one up before you get out there?

Thanks!

Best and cheapest phone provider without question is Cricket. They have a store opposite the belmont red line stop. You'll burn through money with any other provider.

You probably won't set up a bank account before you go, there's no point really. Although not necessary to even open one over these as you can cash all your cheques in western union for free, there's like $2 charge every time you withdraw from your irish account. We opened accounts with CVS (they're a big supermarket) because there was a free $50 signing up bonus.

Nights out; Uncle fatties on a thursday was the best night out in the week. As someone else said Duffys on a Wednesday (although JUST irish people there), Joes sports bar on a Tuesday were 50c beers $2 pitchers. Wriggleyville is a bit dead during the week but best place to be during the weekend, always packed, just a long road filled with bars. Check out sluggers, they've got batting cages!!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

Will unlocked Irish phones work over there? I don't want to buy another phone when I get over :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Lcronin2011

Will unlocked Irish phones work over there? I don't want to buy another phone when I get over :(

Irish phone will work over there but you will spend a fortune on credit! even if u are texting the friends u are with over there to meet up you will get charged roaming charges! i say you would be better off getting a phone, the american sim cards dont fit in irish phones so if you don't want to be charged a fortune on credit u may aswell just buy one over there! you can get a really cheap phone over there and at least that way you can text ur friends or new people you've met over there at a normal price??

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

Irish phone will work over there but you will spend a fortune on credit! even if u are texting the friends u are with over there to meet up you will get charged roaming charges! i say you would be better off getting a phone, the american sim cards dont fit in irish phones so if you don't want to be charged a fortune on credit u may aswell just buy one over there! you can get a really cheap phone over there and at least that way you can text ur friends or new people you've met over there at a normal price??

Sorry I actually meant would an America SIM work in my Irish phone. Dang, I just got a new Samsung Galaxy and was hoping I could use it over there.

Yes

also was just wondering dya have to have a certain amount in your bank account before ya go out there to be allowed in?!

Also, previous J1'ers, how much do ye recommend bringing out?!

• Advertisement

They don't check your bank account. I'd say about €700 ($1000), you'll most likely have to pay first months rent and deposit up front so have enough left over to live on until you find a job, remember even after you do find a job you'll get paid back week so have enough to live off for about for 3 weeks.

american sim cards dont fit in irish phones

Are you sure that's true? Because my girlfriend got a complimentary sim from t-mobile and it looks exactly the same as the Irish ones...

All phones are made my global firms, e.g. Nokia, so they'd hardly make ones which only work with Irish sims?? Loads of people would buy i-phones and the likes in th US and then bring them home. Surely they're all the same?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

If your phone is unlocked and triband then you can use a US sim card in your own phone.

lil_lisa wrote: »
    If your phone is unlocked and triband then you can use a US sim card in your own phone.

Sweet! Googled my phone there and it's triband so all I've to do is get it unlocked and I'm in business!! :D:D

Advertisement