Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Business...help?

Options
  • 11-04-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Ok so here is the story
    I was always fairly alright with business, never loved the subject but managed to struggle on due to a terrifying teacher up untill 5th year.
    Thats when I got a new teacher, who was so relaxed about everything that I began to fall behind in the subject. Now I know it was through no fault but my own, but still I'm coming up to the big "LC" now and im beginning to see the error in my ways. I got 57 in my mocks which i was happy with as I only need a C2 in the subject. But I'm wondering if its too late now to make a stab at it? I really have trouble getting motivated to write business as in my opinion im more of a maths/D.C.G type person. The fact that there is no consequence to no homework is not helping either.
    /rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FreshTillDeath

You can honestly BS most of the business course it's not as specific as say the Economics course! Units 3-4-5 are obviously important for the Applied business Question this year and are useless for other long questions aswell! I personally have a great advantage for Units 6-7 as i'm doing both Geography and Economics and a lot of the basics are involved it that! But no i feel if you put in a small bit of work yourself ( Study a Unit then do exam answers on it ) You should be more than prepared

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭AbsentPonderer

well you have to do 3,4,5 which are pretty broad, after that for the long questions you could get away with unit 1 and 7..leaving out unit 6.. all ill say is this, if you are any way creative you can make anything a fact in business when it comes to advantages and disadvantages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

well you have to do 3,4,5 which are pretty broad, after that for the long questions you could get away with unit 1 and 7..leaving out unit 6.. all ill say is this, if you are any way creative you can make anything a fact in business when it comes to advantages and disadvantages :)

Leave out 1 and do 6 and 7. 6 is common sense but 1 is full of laws and stuff..!

yeah, i forgot to take into account i actually like the laws! :P its not a bad unit though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

You can honestly BS most of the business course it's not as specific as say the Economics course! Units 3-4-5 are obviously important for the Applied business Question this year and are useless for other long questions aswell! I personally have a great advantage for Units 6-7 as i'm doing both Geography and Economics and a lot of the basics are involved it that! But no i feel if you put in a small bit of work yourself ( Study a Unit then do exam answers on it ) You should be more than prepared
    Leave out 1 and do 6 and 7. 6 is common sense but 1 is full of laws and stuff..!
    I'm genuinely astounded at some of the advice here.

You can BS business? Maybe if you want a D3.

Unit 6 isn't just 'common sense',again,if you're looking for a low grade you could get by on common sense.

OP I'd reccommend doing a Unit 1 question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Unit 6 isn't just 'common sense',again,if you're looking for a low grade you could get by on common sense.

I got almost full marks on question 2 in the mocks (it related to unit 6). We hadn't it covered in class yet but it was all so obvious. Anybody who didn't come down in the last shower should do very well in the section with a small amount of study.

It may be obvious to some students but I wouldn't assume it being obvious for everyone. I wouldn't let nice correcting in the mock lure someone into a false sense of security for the leaving. Business is a factual subject. No wishy washy points and beating around the bush will get marks.

shur anybody can come up with an advantage to Planning?? once you understand the concept behind it your flying.. the Laws are factual... i am not saying the whole thing is waffle, but there are some parts that are

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Waffle will get you no marks! Easiest way to get marks in the exam is to strictly follow the marking scheme - state your answer, explain it and give an example - in the short, ABQ and long questions. That will maximise your marks! In the ABQ, the example must relate to the case study i.e. applying your knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I don't think people mean "waffle" as being random drivel being written in lieu of answers. They mean that you don't necessarily have to purposefully sit down and learn facts for certain questions so long as you have some interest in common affairs and a reasonably good standard of English to communicate what you know.

For example a question such as "Describe two advantages and two disadvantages of TNCs for the Irish economy"

If someone even just read the Irish economy forum here on boards.ie or even just AH from time to time they'd be able to answer that. What's more is that they'll have fresh examples to use instead of the generic advantages/disadvantages that people memorise from textbooks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Vaselina2

When studying business are flash cards a good idea and if so what EXACTLY should I be putting on them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hogwarts

The ReviseWise Business is a good little book, if you've learned the basics of course! I find it useful for a quick flickthrough, it helps you learn faster in contrast to re-reading the book or notes. It's worth a purchase! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 carlyle

If you're planning on having a stab at it I'd approach the paper like this.

What text book do you have? I use 21st century Business by William Murphy.

So.. There is 7 units
    Unit 1 is based on chapters 1-3
    Unit 2 is chapter 4 only
    Unit 3 , 4 and 5 are the ABQ this year.

Unit 6 is chapters 19-23
    Unit 7 is chapters 24-26.

Every year long questions in part one are like this.
    Question 1 is on unit 1 - seems to be getting easier
    Question 2 is on unit 6 - it's ok. Know your stuff though
    Question 3 is on unit 7 - seems to be getting harder as more people answering it.

****ABQ***** is chapters 5-18 or units 3,4 and 5.
    The ABQ is 80 marks.
    In part 2 of the long questions the 4 questions are based on the ABQ chapters also , however you can only answer 2 of them.

So if you want to have a bash at it but don't waste loads of time . Answer question 1 and 2 question from part 2 with a go at q2 or 3 which ever one is better.

Hope that helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chicgroovy101

Ok looking for the A1 in Business this year! I like the subject etc. did ok in the mocks (79%) just wondering would it be risky by just doing Units 1-5?
    I literally know these Units inside out now, and will of course be revising them again before June!!:rolleyes:
    Just looking for a bit of advice please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

carlyle wrote: »

Nope i don't think thats true at all. If anything its getting really hard. I'd strongly advice not doing it. Its the most answered question on the long questions and therefore its getting harder, on the other hand Q2 and Q3 is getting easier IMO. i did the leaving cert last year and its was a lovely Q2 & 3. so i'd advice leaving out unit 1 if anything and learn unit 6 & 7 really well.

carlyle wrote: »

Every year long questions in part one are like this.

You must be looking at the wrong question,or bonkers.They've steadily been making that question harder over the last few years. Hardest question if you don't know everything to the tee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fitz1011

I am going to do units 3,4,5 and 7 and this should cover me for ABQ,Q3,7,5 and 6 am i wrong in thinking this could someone please tell me if i am??

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭breffnij

As a business teacher I can honestly say the best way to get an A1 is to work on your exam structure.

Waffle WILL NOT get full marks and only lucky if you get a bored corrector who just passes you through it. Happens every 1 in a hundred. We are only human!

A good rule of thumb is to divide the number of marks for the question by 5. This will give you the amount of seperate points you need to make. Only now can waffle help e.g. if you can waffle enough seperate points you have a chance.

Each seperate point you make will average 5 points (3+2). This means you get 3m for stating your point will an explanation plus a further 2m for an additional supporting point or explained example.

To make clearer: a 20mark question would require 4 seperate points to be discussed. Each of these is worth 5m each and in order to get the full 5m you need to give two points :P

Also, short questions.......YOU MUST HAVE TWO POINTS IN HL to get full marks! Students think if they fill the space they are fine!

Best of luck..
    Ok looking for the A1 in Business this year! I like the subject etc. did ok in the mocks (79%) just wondering would it be risky by just doing Units 1-5?
    I literally know these Units inside out now, and will of course be revising them again before June!!:rolleyes:
    Just looking for a bit of advice please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Please remember these 3 words as they are etched into my skull.

STATE.EXPLAIN.RELATE.

You can pick up a LOT of marks in business for just having a format to answers correct. We are very lucky our ABQ overlaps a lot of our long questions too. Big advantage if you know your Skills, Activities, Styles and Products inside and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭chiloutus

OP back again as I just realized this thread is still alive!

Some great points made in this thread! Thanks lads (Especially the business teacher)
    Lately I've kicked myself up the arse and have been doing a bit and hopefully my work will pay off on the day! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement