Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Simon - Vicar Street

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

SteM wrote: »
    Baclony seated tickets were available online dead on 9am. Blocks a, b and c seemed to be gone (I've never seen block b tix available to buy though). Block d was available for sure.

Blocks a,b and c are only go on sale if there is seating on the ground floor, for this gig as there was standing downstairs they are available to the people who bought standing tickets so are not sold seperately

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

scudzilla wrote: »
    A front row, centre table would be so good for this

Indeed it would. Those were the tickets I had for Art Garfunkel there. Have our tickets though!! We will just settle for standing front centre stage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

musicmania wrote: »
    Indeed it would. Those were the tickets I had for Art Garfunkel there. Have our tickets though!! We will just settle for standing front centre stage :D

That's my spot.........

s8n wrote: »
    That's my spot.........

Sharing is caring so we can all stand together. Only a couple of us here got tickets so we can keep it secret from everyone else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

For some reason there seemed to be no tickets available for the first few minutes yesterday but then I got the standing one I wanted.

My own Paul Simon concert experiences actually started with the Central Park concert in 1981 andthen the following summer in the RDS. I had a ticket for the last show but had to give it up as I was away with work.

So really looking forward to this, was planning to go to Cork otherwise.

• Advertisement

morred wrote: »
    Sold out in one and a half minutes.......

Did it actually sell out that quickly or was it something to do with the Ticketmaster site?

dixiefly wrote: »
    Did it actually sell out that quickly or was it something to do with the Ticketmaster site?

Not sure to be honest. I saw a comment on TM website after an hour or so but that was just the time I checked the website. My friend bought out tickets from a TM agent as we felt that was our best chance since it is such an intimate venue.

I'm surprised Cork isn't sold out. I mean how many people can fit in a marquee?? Considering it went on sale a few weeks back this baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

A mate just rang with 2 spares... Yeeeeeeeeee ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

hope he plays dont call me al and feelin grovey both top tunes

so excited about this gig cant wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

Can't wait for this tonight. Any idea of an accurate on stage time anyone?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

This was a fantastic concert in the best venue in Ireland for a concert like this. I was standing about 3 or 4 back from the stage and it was so personal and intimate. The band were absolutely superb, really felt like a hometown band jamming away at times.

From the moment that they got into the Boy in The Bubble they had us. The great thing about this concert is that it didnt matter the many great songs that he didnt play ....what he did do was superb. Several songs I didnt know but many many of the old favourites, some with a slightly different slant / approach. The songs from the new album fitted in seamlessly with the old favourites.

This is not last nights setlist but an indication from a previous concert

The Boy in the Bubble
    Dazzling Blue
    50 Ways to Leave Your Lover
    So Beautiful or So What
    Vietnam Play (Jimmy Cliff cover)
    Mother and Child Reunion
    That Was Your Mother
    Hearts and Bones
    Mystery Train (Elvis Presley cover)
    Wheels Play (Chet Atkins cover)
    Slip Slidin' Away
    Rewrite Play
    Peace Like a River
    The Obvious Child
    The Only Living Boy in New York (Simon & Garfunkel song)
    Afterlife
    Questions for the Angels
    Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes
    Gumboots Play
    Encore:
    The Sound of Silence Play (Simon & Garfunkel song)
    Kodachrome Play
    Here Comes the Sun (The Beatles cover)
    Late in the Evening
    Encore 2:
    Still Crazy After All These Years
    Crazy Love, Vol. II

He played additional songs during the two encores including Late in The Evening. The band really seemed to enjoy themselves.

Big contender for gig of the year.

so disappointed with this crap gig

i hardly knew any of the songs and he never played dont call me al!

how can he do a concert and not play his best tunes? why didnt he do feelin grovey and mrs robinson? ridiculous

i feel really stung that i paid so much to go to this i thought hed play some classics but it was all obscure stuff he even played a beatles song why?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭totallytrees

Did he not play You Can Call Me Al? :(:(:( Driving to Cork later to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭corm500

It really was a class gig. He seemed to really get into it last night

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

how can he do a concert and not play his best tunes? why didnt he do feelin grovey and mrs robinson? ridiculous

i feel really stung that i paid so much to go to this i thought hed play some classics but it was all obscure stuff he even played a beatles song why?

I think any true fan of Paul Simon would have loved that set-list. Apart from the covers - I agree that he should have stuck to his own material

Did he not play You Can Call Me Al? :(:(:( Driving to Cork later to see him.

no he didnt its mental! hope you get to hear some proper classics tonight mate to make your trip worth it

he must know what the real fans want to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭beartooth

no he didnt its mental! hope you get to hear some proper classics tonight mate to make your trip worth it

real fans?????

As one of the other posters said contender for gig of the year. He was excellent and the band were great too

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭corm500

Sounds Of Silence
    Late In The Evening
    50 Ways to leave your lover
    Only Living Boy in New York
    Mother & Child Reunion
    Still Crazy After All These Years
    Slip Sliding Away
    Diamonds on The soles of Her Shoes.......

I could go on but these are some that even a non fan would know. It was a great gig from an artist that is still recording great music (new album at no.3 in the charts this week)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Best tunes? Or most well-known, 'cos that's not the same thing.

It wasn't billed as a Greatest Hits show, and it was hardly "all obscure stuff". If you're dismissing the set list on the basis that you didn't know a lot of the songs, I'm guessing your entire Paul Simon/S&G collection amounts to a couple of "Best Of" compilations. He's just released a new album, so of course he's going to be playing at least two or three songs from that. You've mentioned three songs in your post, all of which are real fair-weather fan favourites. I'm wondering if you even own a copy of Graceland.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

I am shocked that you didnt enjoy the concert. I understand what it is like to go to a concert and not get songs you like, happened me at Tom Waits (I have 5 albums & he played 2 songs I knew!).

He was never going to play many songs from the Simon & Garfunkel days, it is 30 ago since the were together & there may be contractual difficulties. Paul has had many great albums since such as Here Comes Rhymin Simon, 0Still Crazy After All These Years, Graceland, Hearts & Bones etc. I dont know his new album but the material played from it last night sounded v good.

Also, Vicar Street was a great venue for that band , they were really in the rhythm. But horses for courses and it was a lot of money to spend if you are not really in to him. An artist like that has so much material that he could play a totally different setlist tonight and the fans would love it.

• Advertisement

I hope I dont come acrosss as a smartass but that song is called The 59th Street Bridge Song. I dont think he plays it all that often in concerts.

dixiefly wrote: »
    I hope I dont come acrosss as a smartass but that song is called The 59th Street Bridge Song. I dont think he plays it all that often in concerts.

A pedant writes: It's officially called The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy). :rolleyes: :)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

ok lads so maybe i dont know the exact names of all his songs and maybe i dont own every album

still id be amazed if anyone calls feelin groovy the 59th street bridge song or whatever people just call it feeling groovy (spelling corrected lol)

i do have gracelands actually but ive never heard of here comes rymin simon a title like that has to be made up!

i still thing the guy should play the hits when hes charging so much for tickets play something everyone wants to hear

also found the crowd in v. street really annoying yesterday i had a good spot near the front at the side but whenever i went to the toilet or the bar i was getting dirty looks from everyone i passed

like i just want to get past and then come back in whats the big deal?

overall a really disappointing night considering selling my paul simon cds now

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭beartooth

ok lads so maybe i dont know the exact names of all his songs and maybe i dont own every album

still id be amazed if anyone calls feelin groovy the 59th street bridge song or whatever people just call it feeling groovy (spelling corrected lol)

i do have gracelands actually but ive never heard of here comes rymin simon a title like that has to be made up!

i still thing the guy should play the hits when hes charging so much for tickets play something everyone wants to hear

also found the crowd in v. street really annoying yesterday i had a good spot near the front at the side but whenever i went to the toilet or the bar i was getting dirty looks from everyone i passed

like i just want to get past and then come back in whats the big deal?

overall a really disappointing night considering selling my paul simon cds now

TROLL

Fantastic gig :D - Paul is as good as ever and his band were brilliant. The place rocked. I could have listened to them all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

From what I've heard the gig was wonderful! I would've really loven to be there. Just to see the legend. My Da was there and he got a few videos. He was stopped loads of times. (Which I think is pretty annoying because they said you can take photos just no videoing) Anyways, link below. Regret it big time not going!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYTgfzNTQhA&feature=channel_video_title

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Was Steve Gadd playing?

No, Steve Gadd is currently touring with Eric Clapton.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭totallytrees

Went down to the Marquee gig on Tuesday night and I have to say it was an absolute cracker! I went along with my Dad who is a huge fan. He absolutely loved the set even though he wouldn't be familiar with the new stuff. Myself, I wouldn't even own a Paul Simon CD and I was absolutely blown away by the musicianship of Paul Simon and his 9 piece band. It was amazing to watch how tight they were, down to the tiny details. My eyes were constantly roaming around the stage to see who was playing what and where all the different sounds were coming from. The mix of influences, african, country, blues, everything was apparent in the set. Will definitely be back again next time he tours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement