Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway roundabouts set for upgrades

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

How is the issue being "fudged"?
    Can you paste the text from the document that matchs what you say above?
    Both from page 5...
    Solutions to roundabouts
    There is a hierarchy of measures available for dealing with multilane roundabouts,
    1. Replace with signalised intersection,
    2. Install full time signal control on the roundabout,
    3. Physically change roundabout geometry,
    The latter two options may be combined. Recommended geometric modifications include changes to entry/exit layouts, circulatory lanes and visibility parameters. A "radial" format is used, with entry/exit lanes made perpendicular, rather than tangential, to the central island by removing flares and modifying splitter islands. A narrowed circulatory lane is used and/or separate lanes are marked. If enforceable, there may also be scope for the application of special speed limits on roundabouts.
    And
    Declaration by the Galway Community
    Forum
    The Galway Community Forum recognises that uncontrolled multilane/high flow roundabouts are hostile to the needs of the wider community, particularly pedestrians and cyclists. The Community Forum recognises that there are serious problems for both elderly pedestrians and drivers. It is also clear that the needs of the disabled have not been addressed or accounted for in the roundabout designs used in Galway city. The Forum demands immediate remedial action at all existing roundabouts and an end to the further construction of such roundabouts in Galway city.
    Emphasis, my own.

Also, the hint that they oppose uncontrolled, high capacity roundabouts is in the grandiloquent title on the screed.

So that there can be no confusing of my stance, I'm 100% in favour of more measures to improve the lot of pedestrians, wheelchair users, parents attending prams, cyclists. I spend a considerable amount of time each day as a pedestrian in the city center, I drive, occasionally cycle and would kill for a reliable bus service where I live that didn't take 30+ minutes to get into town if and when it does appear.

I ****ing hate the Magic Roundabout and wish the traffic moved more smoothly in town. I'd love to be able to do my daily commute on my bike but a combination of business attire and a lack of shower facilities militate against this (and that's before I figure out how to schlep 3 feet piles of files on a a bike).

The kind of posts I find objectionable in this thread are:
    • Those who seeking to put forward a personal viewpoint as representing some kind of universal consensus.
    • Those cherrypicking one particular element and latching onto it.
    • Replies that ignore valid issues other posters have raised
    • Ad hominem attacks on motorists
    • Using deliberately emotive words and bombastic phrasing to ram home cheap points
    • The use of Strawmen and other fallacies.

And I also believe that the key to achieving anything is based on a mutual respect of the various positions, rather than starting off from a playground debating position of insulting those who represent another party in the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Robbo wrote: »
    The kind of posts I find objectionable in this thread are:
    • Those who seeking to put forward a personal viewpoint as representing some kind of universal consensus.
    • Those cherrypicking one particular element and latching onto it.
    • Replies that ignore valid issues other posters have raised
    • Ad hominem attacks on motorists
    • Using deliberately emotive words and bombastic phrasing to ram home cheap points
    • The use of Strawmen and other fallacies.

I must have missed the bits where individual motorists were named in this thread.

I did, however, notice sarcastic, dismissive and somewhat loaded references to pedestrians pushing buggies.

Perhaps that's a new class of fallacious argument: ad praminem.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I must have missed the bits where individual motorists were named in this thread.

I did, however, notice sarcastic, dismissive and somewhat loaded references to pedestrians pushing buggies.

Perhaps that's a new class of fallacious argument: ad praminem.
    Touché, my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

I would like to know who on this thread owns a car and needs it for work where public transport is useless.

I suspect alot dont so they dont experience the reality of everyday driving in galway.
    Now of course im not saying that they cant comment but in fairness there needs to be balance.

This idea of a utopian public transport system and cycle lanes galore is pie in the sky!
    Not because it wont happen but because the powers that be, vested interests wont allow it.
    See the bus eireann comments about the quincentenary bridge!

now continued investment in cycle lanes and upgrading our useless public transport system is of course good but lets be clear, its not a silver bullet.

My theory is Galway City Council have a budget, not spending it means they dont need it and so will be cut in next years gov. budget, hence these hair brained ideas of "intelligent" junctions. An utter waste of taxpayers money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Having re-read that document, you're fudging the issue. What they reject is uncontrolled high flow roundabouts.

In fact, towards the end, they seem to come out somewhat in favour of something that for all the world, is redolent of the Magic Roundabout at Terryland: signal controlled with the main arms at evenly geometrically spaces.

Hey Robbo

By way of clarifying the arguments what's being fudged? The geometry thing is less of a spacing issue more of a layout/junction shape thing. The change involves converting the entry/exits from a slip-road type configuration to something more like a standard T-junction.

The magic roundabout has uncontrolled exits apart from one and the slip road so no it doesn't necessarily tick all the boxes.

The document was a motion for debate at a public meeting so the title format goes with the territory - "That this house rejects vegemite and adopts marmite as the spread of choice" etc

• Advertisement

Hey Robbo

By way of clarifying the arguments what's being fudged? The geometry thing is less of a spacing issue more of a layout/junction shape thing. The change involves converting the entry/exits from a slip-road type configuration to something more like a standard T-junction.

The magic roundabout has uncontrolled exits apart from one and the slip road so no it doesn't necessarily tick all the boxes.

The document was a motion for debate at a public meeting so the title format goes with the territory - "That this house rejects vegemite and adopts marmite as the spread of choice" etc
    I may have a different idea as to controlled roundabouts as your goodself, can you clarify how you'd see, say, an existing roundabout in Galway being controlled. Is it having lights on the exits of the roundabout?

I appreciate where the document title came from but I had to chuckle at the resemblance to something Cato the Elder might have said about Carthage.

I may have a different idea as to controlled roundabouts as your goodself, can you clarify how you'd see, say, an existing roundabout in Galway being controlled. Is it having lights on the exits of the roundabout?

I appreciate where the document title came from but I had to chuckle at the resemblance to something Cato the Elder might have said about Carthage.

Did I ever mention Hannibal was a cyclist? Anyway "control" is a very loose term. It is clear that what we have is an uncontrolled situation. Bumper cars only for real - when the roundabouts first went in there was a ten-fold increase in material damage crashes recorded - not sure if the Guards even bother to record these any more.

These junctions and this bumper car "survival of the fittest" approach to traffic management has no place in a small university city.

So yes if you are talking about restoring pedestrian access then yes - you need some form of controlled crossing on the exits. However there is likely a minimum distance back from the outer edge that the crossings have to be if queues are not to back up onto the roundabout itself. But pedestrians are people - people don't like being sent a cumuluative distance of tens of metres up this road and then back to the roundabout and then up that road just to get over there. So the natural human reaction is to cross at places other than the designated crossings. So then the traffic engineers put up guard rails - another feature that has no place in a civilised city - to stop the people who want to walk.

Are we getting the impression of a dog chasing its own tail here?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gold Leaf Tea

I don't like driving in Galway city at all really. But I tried cycling and my nerves were completely shot after it:o. I walk when I can but that isn't always possible. Buses aren't really an option for me, but the service that is available seems pretty poor. I think the whole thing is a no win situation really. And all these roadworks are only compounding the problem.

On a side note, when is the road between Gort and Galway going to be completed?

So yes if you are talking about restoring pedestrian access then yes - you need some form of controlled crossing on the exits. However there is likely a minimum distance back from the outer edge that the crossings have to be if queues are not to back up onto the roundabout itself.

Just to clarify in this instance, in terms of minimum set back, I am thinking of traffic light controlled or "pelican" crossings as they are called in the engineering manuals. I don't think the same restrictions would apply to zebra crossings.

The same issue applies if you want to put signalised crossings on the arms - but without actually signalising the roundabout. The crossings have to be set back because you risk having the green signal telling entering motorists they have right of way over traffic on the roundabout - more bumper cars.

But again if the crossings are set back from the roundabout will people bother with them or will they just hop over or walk around the inevitable guard rails?

Just to clarify in this instance, in terms of minimum set back, I am thinking of traffic light controlled or "pelican" crossings as they are called in the engineering manuals. I don't think the same restrictions would apply to zebra crossings.

The same issue applies if you want to put signalised crossings on the arms - but without actually signalising the roundabout. The crossings have to be set back because you risk having the green signal telling entering motorists they have right of way over traffic on the roundabout - more bumper cars.

But again if the crossings are set back from the roundabout will people bother with them or will they just hop over or walk around the inevitable guard rails?
    Underpasses will be expensive and prone to antisocial behaviour. Overpasses, slightly less expensive, need to be caged in to stop maggots throwing stuff down and will be ignored by the lazy. Sophie's choice anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Underpasses will be expensive and prone to antisocial behaviour. Overpasses, slightly less expensive, need to be caged in to stop maggots throwing stuff down and will be ignored by the lazy. Sophie's choice anyone?

We need to be careful about how these kinds of junctions are provided so that they don't make the overall situation worse instead of better. There are a couple of roundabouts in Dublin (Artane & Coolock) that have pedestrian lights about 10 yards of the entrances/exists of the roundabout (they don't directly control the traffic flow on the RAB), and it causes chaos when somebody tries to cross 2 exits as it sequentially stops traffic on each of these entrances, causing the traffic flow to be extemely limited or effectively cease for up to 2 minutes.

On one of the roundabouts it's a very serious situation because the you can only see the 1st exit and vehicles, especially the buses (not a criticism, they take up more room so it's harder for them to make room to stop blocking exits) are suddenly forced to stop in the middle of the roundabout because they can't get off it. The knock on effect of this is that vehicles can't either get on or off the roundabout causing further congestion.

In the cases of these roundabouts I think actually putting the lights on the entrance/exit would be better (with red lights & yellow boxes to stop people from blocking exits where possible) instead of having them set back. The main reason for having a set of lights set back from a RAB would be that it's a natural crossing point (as the case with the examples above). We'd also have to look at possible alternatives such as pedestrian bridges - like the one in Fairview that crosses a 6 lane (2 bus lanes) instead of putting a set of pedestrian lights in place. I know it won't be suitable for all places but they should be considered instead of the knee jerk assumption that we need another set of lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

antoobrien wrote: »
    We'd also have to look at possible alternatives such as pedestrian bridges - like the one in Fairview that crosses a 6 lane (2 bus lanes) instead of putting a set of pedestrian lights in place. I know it won't be suitable for all places but they should be considered instead of the knee jerk assumption that we need another set of lights.

Can these still be built or does a solution have to be provided which would allow disabled people (particularly in wheelchairs), to cross?

I believe there may be a problem with siting traffic signals too close to a roundabout. This can cause the kind of snarl-up mentioned above.

As a general principle I have no problem with motorised traffic being held up to facilitate pedestrians. Pedestrians are routinely held up by traffic, for two minutes and far longer, and the net effect is to deter walking and encourage risky road crossing behaviour.

AFAIK disability rights groups are opposed to pedestrian overpasses because of access issues. Pedestrian overpasses are also expensive, unsightly in certain locations and may have land take requirements that are not feasible in certain circumstances.

In any case, the primary aim of a lot of these solutions seems not to be the promotion of active travel modes and the mobility of people but to facilitate movement of vehicles, especially the private car. That is the kind of car-centred thinking that led to unsustainable levels of motorised traffic in the first place. It's no accident that the first item in the Hierarchy of Solutions is Traffic Reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

AFAIK disability rights groups are opposed to pedestrian overpasses because of access issues. Pedestrian overpasses are also expensive, unsightly in certain locations and may have land take requirements that are not feasible in certain circumstances.

Was going to hit the "Thanks" button for your post, but as it would have been just for the portion above, I've had to edit my thanks!

churchview wrote: »
    Was going to hit the "Thanks" button for your post, but as it would have been just for the portion above, I've had to edit my thanks!

Thanks!

Yes, I know that feeling -- the Thanks button is pretty much all or nothing.

I know we agree on some things and diagree on others, as evidenced by different threads.

While I think of it, I would say that I try not to rely solely on my personal opinion. Wherever possible I will refer to an authoritative source. For instance, with regard to the Hierarchy of Provision above, the source is national policy. Some posters here may not like such policies (eg LOL earlier at the Kyoto Agreement) but regardless of what people like policies of this kind are, of necessity, being adopted locally, nationally and internationally. The effects of such policies may take a long time to be felt, but felt they wil be...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

McTigs wrote: »
    Tell me you reported that idiot.

The truck driver or the person that appears to have abandoned a baby ;)

The minute you control a roundabout with lights you destroy the argument for having a roundabout. Has anyone ever noticed that when the lights fail, as they have at Taylors Hill several times, there is less traffic & no accidents.

There is increasing evidence that the more you reduce controls & make road users think for themselves, the less accidents you get. That truck should not of mounted the pavement but if you were one of the cars stuck behind it you could be criticising it for not doing so. If a little of the huge pavement on the other side was utilised & a small roundabout installed the junction would be better & safer.

By the way a Pelican crossing will only stop the traffic when a pedestrian needs to cross whereas lights stop everyone regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

As a regular walker of the Dublin Road to Headford Road, at Moneenageisha lights I never use the designed path for pedestrians, going in either direction.

Discodog wrote: »
    The truck driver or the person that appears to have abandoned a baby ;)

The minute you control a roundabout with lights you destroy the argument for having a roundabout. Has anyone ever noticed that when the lights fail, as they have at Taylors Hill several times, there is less traffic & no accidents.

There is increasing evidence that the more you reduce controls & make road users think for themselves, the less accidents you get. That truck should not of mounted the pavement but if you were one of the cars stuck behind it you could be criticising it for not doing so. If a little of the huge pavement on the other side was utilised & a small roundabout installed the junction would be better & safer.

By the way a Pelican crossing will only stop the traffic when a pedestrian needs to cross whereas lights stop everyone regardless.

Oh dear.

How do failing lights make traffic disappear?

"Increasing evidence"? Really? Please cite the authoritative references here.

What "huge pavement" on the other side? There's a bus stop and a pedestrian crossing.

Anyone who criticises a motorist for NOT mounting the footpath is an imbecile and deserves to have their driving licence loosely rolled up and shoved where the sun don't shine.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    As a regular walker of the Dublin Road to Headford Road, at Moneenageisha lights I never use the designed path for pedestrians, going in either direction.

Can you elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

How do failing lights make traffic disappear?

"Increasing evidence"? Really? Please cite the authoritative references here.

Because drivers have to think & use initiative. It happens everywhere when lights fail. People work it out & the result is often less jams. It doesn't make the traffic disappear but it does make it move more easily.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/article1295120.ece

If you make people think before they act it can make things safer.

But your views are so hardened that nothing is likely to convince you.

• Advertisement

Can you elaborate?

I don't take the route that involves going through the offset gaps in the railings.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I don't take the route that involves going through the offset gaps in the railings.

So what do you do instead?

Here's the junction on StreetView.

So what do you do instead?

Here's the junction on StreetView.

See the attached picture in post 142

Discodog wrote: »
    Because drivers have to think & use initiative. It happens everywhere when lights fail. People work it out & the result is often less jams. It doesn't make the traffic disappear but it does make it move more easily.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/article1295120.ece

If you make people think before they act it can make things safer.

But your views are so hardened that nothing is likely to convince you.

There are enough junctions, including roundabouts, where there are no signals. Therefore people have to work out what to do in such situations.

That doesn't stop traffic jams occurring, nor does it make life easier for pedestrians and cyclists. Roundabouts are riskier for cyclists, and when traffic lights are switched off or overridden by Garda traffic control at busy junctions (to facilitate motorised traffic during special events for example) pedestrians may be just sidelined.

You needn't make any assumptions about my views being hardened on these issues. I'm always willing to be convinced by evidence.

The link above appears to be broken, but I would hazard a guess that the Times article mentions Hans Monderman and/or his UK disciple Ben Hamilton-Baillie.

I'm aware of, and interested in, the work of both. Monderman, before his death in 2008 at the age of 62, was generating a lot of attention with his Shared Space (Naked Streets) concept. As it happens, I posted a YouTube video of one of his projects in another forum only recently: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72683334&postcount=16

Hamilton-Baillie is continuing with the same concepts in the UK, and according to his website he was also commissioned by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Council to do some design work in Monkstown.

I remember reading an article about Monderman in the New York Times some years ago. This bit stuck in my mind: "Who has the right of way?" he asked rhetorically. "I don't care. People here have to find their own way, negotiate for themselves, use their own brains."

Monderman's concepts and designs have a certain minimalist appeal, and his faith in the power of civilised human interaction is inspiring. But let's not forget the social, cultural, political and legal context in which he developed and implemented his ideas. Here's a post in another thread which neatly sums up why Dutch engineering ideas may not be so easly transferable to the Irish setting. The key part is in the last paragraph.

Hamilton-Baillie rejects things like traffic signals as being "expensive and disfiguring". However, not all of his projects have been cheap and cheerful:

Rethink by Herefordshire Council on Widemarsh Street pavement as shoppers take tumble
    Engineers’ tape could draw line under pavement gripes in Widemarsh Street

Incidentally, the Wikipedia entry on Hamilton-Baillie includes a link to an article about alleged "shared spaces" in the Chinese city of Suzhou, as if their experience validates the concept. It's not quite that simple though. The spaces might be shared but the experiences aren't:

Why don't we do it in the road?
    Surviving Suzhou's traffic
    FedEx, Safe Kids Team Up to Launch “Walk This Way” in Suzhou

So how might such concepts work in Ireland? I'm not against shared spaces, but I think a fair bit of groundwork would need to be done in advance.

Dutch cyclists, for example, are a protected species in a way that has never happened and may never happen here. 30 kph or even 20 kph speed limits are commonplace in built-up areas all over the Netherlands (and throughout much of Europe). Here there was a massive backlash against the 30 kph zone in Dublin city centre, and AFAIK it's routinely ignored on some key streets. The Netherlands has a road safety policy called Sustainable Safety which tries to use a systems approach to protecting vulnerable road users. Some years ago Fred Wegman of SWOV, the Dutch Institute for Road Safety Research, reviewed the Irish road safety strategy and concluded that Dutch motorists were five times more likely to be caught if they were speeding than Irish motorists. Just look at the contempt and cynicism towards the current speed/safety camera programme, as repeatedly shown in this Motors thread.

Here's an example of how innovative high-level design concepts fare in the Irish context.

The Essex Design Initiative is a high profile campaign launched by Essex County Council intended to provide guidance on how to plan, build and maintain sustainable urban developments. It's not light years away from the Home Zone concept, which Hamilton-Baillie favoured.

Since a core emphasis of the EDI is sustainability, the Design Guide makes recommendations regarding the layout and location of housing developments so that public transport, services, employment and/or amenities are in reasonably close proximity, which "encourages walking and cycling instead of car use for local trips".

The EDI design guide also strongly emphasises visual character, and one of its core concepts is the "enclosure of space". In the urban environment, spaces enclosed by buildings "are more 'comfortable' at the pedestrian scale".

In order to enclose spaces and create continuous pedestrian routes, "as much continuity of built frontage as possible should be achieved". For this reason, the EDI Design Guides includes particular recommendations on the provision of car parking:
    In order to enclose space effectively, buildings will normally be sited at the back edge of the public footway. This will require car-parking to be sited between houses, beneath upper stor
    ey structures or within garages to the rear. This has the advantage of reducing the visual impact of on-site parked cars. It also has the advantage of increasing the amount of site area for private rear gardens.

On-street parking is typically limited to a few spaces, and most of the spaces are kept away from the front of the houses. "A continuous row of parked cars in front of a terrace of houses is unacceptable", the EDI says.

While the Essex Design has reportedly worked well in England, I am aware of only one housing development in Ireland that was planned using the concept. That was in Portlaoise, and AFAIK it failed in some key aspects. It had to be redesigned or re-engineered, with the addition of one-way street systems, because the residents would not or could survive without parking their cars right outside the door, even if that meant parking illegally and blocking footpaths as well as impeding traffic.

Here's a couple of screen-grabs from StreetView of the Essex Design as experienced in Ireland. The first photo shows the "parking courts" typical of EDI, and the second photo (of the street immediately adjacent) shows what the residents really think of the concept, of parking laws and of notions like the "pedestrian scale". By the way, I have no evidence that the concept works better in the UK (where parking on footpaths is actually legal in many areas). However, in my experience, the Dutch woonerf system works better, as cars are physically excluded from living spaces.

EDI-Ireland1.jpg

EDI-Ireland2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Are the Cllr's voting on this proposal today at City Hall??

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

Are the Cllr's voting on this proposal today at City Hall??
    yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

http://www.galwaynews.ie/19931-city-council-votes-remove-briarhill-roundabout

June 14, 2011 - 8:14am

Galway City council has voted to remove the first of several city roundabouts and to replace it with a traffic light junction.
    After lengthy debate on the controversial proposal last night, the majority of councillors voted to remove the Lynch, or Briarhill Roundabout once funding has been confirmed for an Urban Traffic Centre to manage the new system.
    The National Transport Authority is expected to announce funding of quarter of a million euro for the centre within the next week or so.
    The Briarhill Roundabout will be replaced with a major signalised junction which the city manager says will reduce journey times, reduce rat-running, improve safety and make entering the city more attractive to traders and tourists.
    Work will begin in late August early September and will take three months.
    It's just the beginning of the 6 million euro N6 Improvement Scheme which will see the Ballybane Roundabout and the Tuam Road Roundabout replaced with signalised junctions.

Anybody at the City Hall meeting last night?

The lunatics have finally taken over the asylum. What an absolute waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Excellent.
    Traffic on the dual carriage way always backs up in the afternoon should be much clearer once it has priority at the junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

churchview wrote: »
    Can these still be built or does a solution have to be provided which would allow disabled people (particularly in wheelchairs), to cross?
    That's not a massive problem, though as I have pointed out before it is a solution that is not suited to every junction. The one I cited in Dublin has small steps - therefore is not suitable for wheelchairs but I have seen many people on crutches, with walking sticks & walking aids using this without (apparent) problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement