Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bogus Charity Collection Balbriggan

Options
  • 11-04-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Folks just to let you know that there is a woman going from door to door tonight in Balbriggan collecting sponsorship for the Bracken Boxing Club.

A neighbour phoned the Bracken Boxing Club who say that they have no such fundraising going on at the moment. The Gardai have been informed and given the registration plate of the person concerned.

If you are going to sponsor collectors at the door it's always a good idea to check the charity and their credentials. Having seen the sponsorship card I can tell you it looks very genuine so obviously a lot of effort has gone into this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Maybe you should ring Bracken boxing club yourself, as they are fundraising for equipment and a trip for the younger members. Maybe you should ring the Gardai back and tell them not to be wasting their invaluable time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Oh for goodness sake. I was standing beside my neighbour when she rang the boxing club to check and see if they were doing a collection like this. They said no and that she wasn't the first person to call concerned about a collector. They asked her to report it to the Gardai. Which she did.

Collecting money under false pretences is fraud. I don't see how reporting fraud is wasting Garda time?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Maybe you should ring Bracken boxing club yourself, as they are fundraising for equipment and a trip for the younger members. Maybe you should ring the Gardai back and tell them not to be wasting their invaluable time.
    You seem pretty certain of this, but could not possibly know whether the individual in question was genuine or not

Eoineo has provided adequate support for the assertion made, and you are in no position to challenge that

I would recommend no-one gives anything to anyone on the doorstep unless they are provided with verifiable ID

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

if you are in any doubt, then do as I do and don't hand over the sponsorship money until the person requesting sponsorship has done whatever it is they said they will do - sponsored walk, run or whatever.

I get A LOT of kids knocking on my door for sponsor this that and the other. The look of shock on their faces when I say, yeah I'll sponsor you and they stand there with their hands out for the money, until I explain that I'm not giving them the money til they come back after having done the event. I would say 99% of them never come back.

I have no problem sponsoring kids to do things and to raise money for their clubs or schools, but call me old fashioned I am a firm believer that if I sponsor you to do something, you have to do it! Otherwise, the school or club should arrange for a proper collection permit from the gardai and have the parents do a house to house collection.

In this day and age, no one has money to be giving to bogus collectors, so if the charity/cause is genuine, then I don't see the problem with having it organised properly and responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I run Rush Boxing club and got a call from Ashbourne from a lady i knew telling me she had sponsored the club!

It was a traveller pretending he knew me and that we where fundraising, so it's definetly going on, why would Rush Boxing club be all the way in Ashbourne for sponsorship anyway!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Year old thread - same old scam

Yesterday a schoolgirl in a blue uniform aged about 14 was collecting 'sponsorship' in Clonard Court (Balbriggan) to replace 'stolen equipment' on behalf of the Bracken Boxing Club - this has been confirmed by Kieran from the Club to be a SCAM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

I dont answer my door at night anymore - Friends and family know to knock the living room window, As of late there is always some gimp looking for sponsorship for something - If it's not a knock on the door its that "bag packing service" at supermarket tills, leave me alone please.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

cowzerp wrote: »
    I run Rush Boxing club and got a call from Ashbourne from a lady i knew telling me she had sponsored the club!

It was a traveller pretending he knew me and that we where fundraising, so it's definetly going on, why would Rush Boxing club be all the way in Ashbourne for sponsorship anyway!!
    Nodster wrote: »
    Year old thread - same old scam

Yesterday a schoolgirl in a blue uniform aged about 14 was collecting 'sponsorship' in Clonard Court (Balbriggan) to replace 'stolen equipment' on behalf of the Bracken Boxing Club - this has been confirmed by Kieran from the Club to be a SCAM

Sownds very familiar cowzerp. As Nodster says Year old thread same old scam. They were at it recently in Rush, over Clifflands/Lambay area. If in any doubt phone the Gardai and inform the club concerned. We can notify our members with a web text once we know. Sounds like the same ones who were collecting on our behalf aswell.

We are driving hard at our Christmas draw in St. Maurs and people would be rightly peed off if we were going to doors collecting every week

Advertisement