Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free calls & texts on Tesco Mobile with a €10 top-up plus €10 free bonus credit too.

• 11-04-2011 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Top up by €10 and get free calls, texts and picture messaging to anyone on the Tesco Mobile network for 30 days, and you still get an extra €10 bonus credit to use within 30 days: http://www.tescomobile.ie/FreeCallsAndTexts.aspx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

hardly new?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

ardmacha wrote: »
    hardly new?

This is a completely new offer from Tesco Mobile, and, as far as I know, a first for any Prepay mobile network in Ireland. No other network offers free on-net calls and texts on Prepay for a €10 top-up, and no other network offers bonus credit with every €10 top-up either.

The free calls and texts offer previously only applied to top-ups of €20 and more, now it applies to a top-up of just €10, plus you still get €10 free credit bonus.

Free SIM Card: http://www.tescomobile.ie/international/index.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

It's still only Tesco-Tesco. Not much good IMHO. I switched to Three from 02 today. €20 a month gives you:

* Free unlimited texts to ANY network.

* Unlimited weekend calls to ANY network.

* An extra €10 per month credit for life when you top up by €20.

A no-brainer.:)

Yes I agree it's a no-brainer, you'd be foolish to believe its good value. :(

Free weekend calls and free any network texts is not as good. Most people want to make calls the other 5 days of the week. Using 3 Ireland that'll cost you 29c per minute, and for a €10 top-up you don't even get the free texts or weekend calls: http://www.three.ie/products_services/priceplans/prepay/index.html

Similar to all the other networks, with 3 Ireland you must top-up by at least €20, to get free credit and other benefits The Tesco offer gives you free on-network calls and texts with a €10 top-up and free bonus credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Do Tesco offer data bundles too ?

Sorry for being lazy .... just checked their site and I see that they do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Oracle wrote: »
    Similar to all the other networks, with 3 Ireland you must top-up by at least €20, to get free credit and other benefits The Tesco offer gives you free on-network calls and texts with a €10 top-up and free bonus credit.

Free Tesco-to-Tesco calls and texts are worth less than €10 to most people though? They'd be lucky to have a 5% market share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

But don't forget you won't get quicker download as edge can get. Or gprs? So it's good only for a small data traffic.

Onikage wrote: »
    Free Tesco-to-Tesco calls and texts are worth less than €10 to most people though? They'd be lucky to have a 5% market share.

But then you're still getting your free €10 call credit to call people on other networks. Think of the free Tesco calls and texts as an added extra. Who you call and text regularly is more important than a market share statistic. Its up to you to encourage your family and friends to join Tesco Mobile so you all can benefit. For example, getting your best friend/partner/spouse, parents, etc... signed up is a very easy start.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭V4

I switched from Tesco to Three because they have NO iPhone data support :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mabozarichie

Oracle wrote: »
    Its up to you to encourage your family and friends to join Tesco Mobile so you all can benefit. For example, getting your best friend/partner/spouse, parents, etc... signed up is a very easy start.

So you have no affiliation to Tesco mobile then....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

V4 wrote: »

they were crap with their support, but they seem to be getting their house in order now. using htc desire on 3g with no issues.

So you have no affiliation to Tesco mobile then....:rolleyes:

No, Tesco Mobile have their own representative on Boards. Do you have you an affiliation with any other network? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Tesco mobile us a rip of in Ireland unless you know people with a tesco number which I don't know of any. 3Pay FTW!

It's nice to see threads on mobile networks still attract the usual assortment of naysayers and nutters. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

padyjoe wrote: »
    But don't forget you won't get quicker download as edge can get. Or gprs? So it's good only for a small data traffic.

Hi there

We have 3G speeds up to 400kbps up and down not just EDGE

regards
    Paul

pissed wrote: »
    Do Tesco offer data bundles too ?

Sorry for being lazy .... just checked their site and I see that they do

Hi there

Yes, we have 3 data bundles

1 day with 50 MB allowance for €0.79 - Text data to 174209
    7 day with 350 MB allowance for €2.99 - Text data to 174210
    30 day with 1GB allowance for €6.99c - Text data to 174211

You can stack bundles in that if you purchase another before the first has expired both the expiry date and allowance are extended

e.g. if you purchase 3 * 30 day bundles together you would have 90days with a 3GB allowance.

hope this helps

regards
    Pau

V4 wrote: »

Hi there

Yes, we do support the iPhone now. You can get a free micro sim from customer care by calling 0894200000.

Settings for iPhone data are available on our facebook page below

http://www.facebook.com/tescomobileireland?sk=app_2373072738#!/topic.php?uid=141591829190523&topic=397

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭V4

Hi there

Yes, we do support the iPhone now. You can get a free micro sim from customer care by calling 0894200000.

Settings for iPhone data are available on our facebook page below

http://www.facebook.com/tescomobileireland?sk=app_2373072738#!/topic.php?uid=141591829190523&topic=397

regards
    Paul

Hi Paul

Thats brilliant, I'll be switching back so I think.

Thanks
    V4

• Registered Users Posts: 5 altavista

Hi,
    I am a tesco mobile user. I have a balance of €6.00 "free on net"
    I have no idea what this is - can someone enlighten me please.
    Thanks,
    Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Can I ask Paul/Tesco Mobile...when is the free web text service being launced. It was flagged for around now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Can I ask Paul/Tesco Mobile...when is the free web text service being launced. It was flagged for around now.

During the summer was the last update I think.

Can we keep this thread related to the offer of the €10 free topup please. Any other questions for Paul can be asked on the mobile forum as he posts there regularly, thanks

altavista wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am a tesco mobile user. I have a balance of €6.00 "free on net"
    I have no idea what this is - can someone enlighten me please.
    Thanks,
    Alan
    Hi Alan

This is the bundle that represents the free calls and texts to other Tesco Mobile customers. The value isn't important but the date next to it represents the expiry date.

Regards
    Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Hi,

I can see on the website that only HTTP data is supported. Does that mean you only allow port 80, and that stuff like FTP/email(IMAP)/VNC will not work?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Can you use the free €10 credit to buy data?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Bob24 wrote: »
    Hi,

I can see on the website that only HTTP data is supported. Does that mean you only allow port 80, and that stuff like FTP/email(IMAP)/VNC will not work?

Thanks!

thats out of date - they now have full APN access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Soarer wrote: »

+1. Anyone?

loyatemu wrote: »
    thats out of date - they now have full APN access.

One more question if anyone knows. I am now on Meteor bill pay lite (contract with 30 days notice to cancel). What is the right procedure to get my number ported? If I get the Tesco Mobile simcard and ask to port the number, will Meteor charge me for the next 30 days of service (which I won't get). Or do I need to notify them 30 in advance? (but in that case I am sure they will allow my number to be ported on day 30 when I ask Tesco Mobile to port it?)

Plus a second question: to get a microsim, do I have to call customer care or they should have them at Tesco shops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Freddie59 wrote: »
    It's still only Tesco-Tesco. Not much good IMHO. I switched to Three from 02 today. €20 a month gives you:

* Free unlimited texts to ANY network.

* Unlimited weekend calls to ANY network.

* An extra €10 per month credit for life when you top up by €20.

A no-brainer.:)

As far as I know, free weekend calls and texts on Three are ending in 5 days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jamesbrond

+2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No. Only regular calls and texts.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    No. Only regular calls and texts.

The free credit can also be used for picture messages and GPRS browsing: http://www.tescomobile.ie/terms/tcs_Double_Value_Credit_for_Life.aspx

Another advantage is the free Tesco to Tesco calls and texts can also can be used when up North while roaming, a huge plus the other networks don't allow on Prepay. For example, once you have the free on-net calls offer, (top up by €10) you can call another Irish Tesco Mobile number roaming in the North or at home in the Irish Republic, for free. Once the Tesco Mobile number you're calling is on the island of Ireland, then the call or text is free. It's very handy if you're travelling up North alone, or with partner, family or friends on Tesco Mobile: http://www.tescomobile.ie/terms/tcs_free_calls.aspx

You can only use paid for credit to buy data bundles but data use outside bundles will come from bonus credit first

regards
    Paul

Hi there

We have 3G speeds up to 400kbps up and down not just EDGE

regards
    Paul

Just to update on this also, our data speeds are now up to 1Mbps (coverage provided by O2 network). No restrictions and no extra charges for tethering.

regards
    Paul

Bob24 wrote: »
    One more question if anyone knows. I am now on Meteor bill pay lite (contract with 30 days notice to cancel). What is the right procedure to get my number ported? If I get the Tesco Mobile simcard and ask to port the number, will Meteor charge me for the next 30 days of service (which I won't get). Or do I need to notify them 30 in advance? (but in that case I am sure they will allow my number to be ported on day 30 when I ask Tesco Mobile to port it?)

Plus a second question: to get a microsim, do I have to call customer care or they should have them at Tesco shops?

Hi Bob, you would need to check with Meteor but yes i imagine you need to give 30 days notice or pay the month rental before porting.

You can only get the microsim through customer care at 0894200000

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Hi again Paul.

Can you explain to me how I can get all my friends and family to change from Meteor to Tesco, as I got them all to change to Meteor in the first place?!

Hi Soarer,

I know it's a tough one but there are huge savings for all of you with free calls texts and picture messages to each other with just a 10e topup. And we have a wider range of phones now with smartphones also.

Regards
    Paul

Hi again Paul.

Can you explain to me how I can get all my friends and family to change from Meteor to Tesco, as I got them all to change to Meteor in the first place?!

There's a few ways you can do this. I've found the cheapest and quickest way is to get a free Tesco Mobile SIM. Just put the SIM in your phone and then phone Tesco Mobile to switch (port) the number over. If your friends and family are on Prepay with another network its really easy, the switch happens in just a couple of hours usually. The instructions for switching come with the SIM card: http://www.tescomobile.ie/BringAFriend.aspx

The only snag can be if any of the phones are locked to another network, then you can't use a Tesco Mobile SIM in that phone. The network operator may give you the unlock code if you ask, but even if they don't, you can just buy a phone from Tesco from €20, and port your number over to that phone instead: http://shop.tescomobile.ie/index.aspx?mobile=true

P.S. Although you can port your whole number to another network, you can't port over any unused call credit from another network. So use any remaining call credit on your old network first before switching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Hi Paul,
    I am currently with you guys with an unlocked iphone 3g. What are the settings needed to get 3g speeds? Any link available for setup instructions as I currently have no way of getting data? Many thanks

Hi Paul,
    I am currently with you guys with an unlocked iphone 3g. What are the settings needed to get 3g speeds? Any link available for setup instructions as I currently have no way of getting data? Many thanks

Hi cfeeney,

iPhone instructions are as below. Note your phone will get 3G speeds if its a 3G phone and you have 3G turned on. The network specific settings do not have any influence over that.

1. If you have an iPhone 4 get a Tesco Mobile Micro SIM. Call Customer Care on 1749 or 0894200000 and they can get one sent out to you. You will need to call them back when you get it to get your number transferred to the SIM.

2. Put the Tesco Mobile SIM in unlocked iPhone and perform normal setup via iTunes

3. Go to Settings->General->Network and Turn Data Roaming On

4. Also in Settings->General->Network go to Mobile Data Network
    Put APN and MMS proxy details in as below

a) Enter the following details into Mobile Data at the top of the section.

APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    Username: leave empty
    Password: leave empty

b) Enter following details into the MMS section.

APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    MMSC: http://10.1.11.68/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19:8080
    Max Message Size: 307200
    MMS UA Prof URL : leave empty

Thats it!

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Just had a look at the Smartphones on Tesco Mobile. Not a great choice to be honest, more entry level/budget phones.

Also the phone info leaves a lot to be desired. Heck it doesn't even tell you what version od android comes on the phone (where applicable). Something that needs to be addressed IMHO.

Fair point thank you. We are new to smart phones and will be expanding our range all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

You can only use paid for credit to buy data bundles but data use outside bundles will come from bonus credit first

regards
    Paul

Can you clarify this:- if I top up by €10 (which Tesco then double) can I not buy the data bundle with my original €10 (not the €10 free credit)

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Can you clarify this:- if I top up by €10 (which Tesco then double) can I not buy the data bundle with my original €10 (not the €10 free credit)

Yes you can buy a data bundle with your original €10. You can't buy bundles or make premium, international or roaming calls and texts with the bonus credit. Bonus credit does get used first for regular calls, texts and picture messages in Ireland so your paid for credit only gets used when it has to be used.

Regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭derek_c

Hi, not too well up on this but I have a 3 dongle which I use the odd time for net access while on the move. Is it possible to get a Tesco sim card and access the net through one of the data bundles mentioned earlier or are they only for phones?

derek_c wrote: »
    Hi, not too well up on this but I have a 3 dongle which I use the odd time for net access while on the move. Is it possible to get a Tesco sim card and access the net through one of the data bundles mentioned earlier or are they only for phones?

The data bundles are intended for phones but yes you can use with a dongle. Some customers are already using unlocked dongles in this way. You need to use the dongle texting app to buy the bundle. If you register your credit or laser card then you can also topup by text so it would all work quite neatly.

Regards
    Paul

Note you will need to get your 3 dongle unlocked as it likely wil be locked to the 3 network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Paul, Is there any plans to have unlimited texts for any network?

Not at the moment but we are always reviewing our plans so maybe in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭terriepodonnell

Paul,

Eircom Mobile are doing a 30 day notice sim deal where you can make unlimited calls to landlines, 100 mins to mobile networks & 100 sms's per month for €14.

Do Tesco Mobile have any plans to offer an unlimited land calls to land line deal by any chance ?

Well done on the 1gb for €7 data deal & for creating some innovative deals.

Terrie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement