Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Larry Sweeney passes away at 29

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Oh fúck man. That's horrible. He was a great manager in a time where wrestling badly needs managers. I know he had BPAD and he had a few manic attacks but I hoped that was under control. I remember people thought he was coked up the way he was acting but no it's a severe manic attack.....:(

Horrible news.:(

(*BPAD = bipolar affective disorder, i.e. serious bouts of depressive and manic episodes)

RIP bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Great man. One of the only reasons I followed the indies as long as I did. He had his demons but I hope he's at peace now.

R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Aye that's one thing I was happy to see Larry bring about without intending to was making people realise what bi-polar can do to someone. (I'm talking about when he was alive btw, not dead.) I'm someone who suffers from it and it would drive me nuts to see people get the wrong idea about the man, especially when he was let go from ROH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I can't believe this. 29 years old. He has his whole life in front of him but couldn't see the good in it to live another day. This one's hit me like a kick in the guts.:(

RIP Larry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Dieing in your 40's is bad, dieing at 29 is a whole lot worse. Always thought he was older but doesnt change the fact that he will be missed big time. I expect CHIKARA to do something in rememberance this weekend.

RIP Larry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Can't say that I have seen a lot of his work but what little I saw, I liked, and I loved the character. Hate when wrestlers pass away, hate suicides and hate young deaths so I really hate this news -_-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

BiPolar is a serious disease; rationale doesn't play a part. There's no convincing or cajoling. It's something very hard to comprehend that kind of mindset unless you've either experienced it or been around someone with it.

29 is far too young. Poor guy. I can only imagine the anguish that was going through his mind. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

He was a semi regular guest on figure four online in the early days of the website.

I always thoroughly enjoyed listening to him and it seemed back then that he was destined for bigger things. So it's very sad to hear of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

And it's tough to talk about it because people just don't understand it. I hope more people will speak out about it before more peoples lives are taken away.

But enough sad talk, let's remember the goodness that was Larry Sweeney! (I'm currently wearing my bright yellow Sweet & Sour t-shirt, probably the only wrestling t-shirt out there that has nothing to do with wrestling on it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Wrestling Observer:
    Former top manager, Sweeney, dead at 29

Larry Sweeney, generally considered the best manager in pro wrestling before being overcome by drug problems and terrible bipolar issues, committed suicide either last night or this morning. He was 29.

Born Alex Whybrow, Sweeney died from hanging himself at a wrestling school in Lake Charles, LA.

Whybrow began training as a wrestler under Chris Hero, Mike Quackenbush and Jorge Rivera in 2003, as well as going to Oregon to train under Buddy Rose and Ed Wiskoski and began wrestling in 2004.

He worked for a number of independent promotions but was best known for his role as an agent for Chris Hero, and creation of the heel stable, Sweet and Sour Inc., which at different times included Claudio Castagnoli, Sara Del Rey, Tank Toland, Matt Sydal, Daniel Puder, Adam Pearce, Brent Albright, Shane Hagadorn and Bobby Dempsey in Ring of Honor from 2007 to 2009. He was regularly compared to a young Bobby Heenan during that period, and in both 2007 and 2008 was voted Best Non-Wrestling Peformer in the entire industry in the Observer poll and placed highly both years for Best of Interviews.
    But issues with drugs and mainly extreme depression ended his ROH stint in April, 2009, and he spiraled out of control from there, losing contact with many of his closest friends in recent months. He did some wrestling in 2010 using the name Vokoder under a mask with CHIKARA this past year.

He was constantly battling depression throughout his life, stemming from a high school auto accident where he was driving and a friend was seriously hurt. His issues seemed to worsen when he was no longer in the spotlight.
    "We spent a few years together on the road and Alex was gifted beyond measure," wrote Chris Hero on twitter. "He could enthrall you with colorful stories from his personal life, or he could captivate thousands with his undeniable charisma. I loved him and my heart is with his family, friends and countless fans. First, he was my student and he transcended that almost immediately. I will forever cherish our in depth conversations and time spent together."

In 2007, Sweeney feuded with Bryan Alvarez over the Texarkana heavyweight championship.

He hung himself from a ring post guys. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Jesus Christ. I realised he was ill, but not as severely as this. As someone who has lost a family member recently to mental illness I am only beginning to understand its severity.

Poor Larry. He was an amazing character. I loved his schtick in ROH as the "super agent", always coming to the ring on the phone handing out business cards. His treatment of Bobby Dempsey made his so bloody hated.

I just hope people do not see this as "another young wrestling death". His illness can happen to anyone, and it fúcking sucks.

Cheerio Larry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I never saw any of his work, but this is hard to take that a 29 year old would take their own life. It's particularly hard for me in that one of my close friends at work and football team-mate also committed suicide less than 10 days ago, he himself was only 27.

Such a shame, I hope your soul is at peace now Larry.

God bless his family, Rest In Peace.

Advertisement