Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need some help: computer won't start, no fans even, only an amber light occasionally

• 11-04-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Well, as the thread title states, I need some help: my gaming PC of a few years old (which has always had very occasional issues starting, the fans would whirr a few times, power would die, then without prompting the fans would start up again and it would boot as normal) died suddenly this evening, just as I loaded up Crysis - it literally died the very second the previous game load had finished and the FPS screen appeared. Now pressing the button sometimes (only sometimes) results in a very lonely looking amber light turning on in the front of the case. The fans do not start and the PC doesn't go to post, no post beeps or anything. I did the usual, held the power button down to drain the capacitors (like I know what that actually means! :)), disconnected the mobo from the power supply, disconnected the graphics card, nothing seems to work, the PSU just doesn't seem to power up.

From reading other threads, it seems like it is either a dead PSU (had one of those many moons ago with a previous PC) or maybe a dead mobo (never had one of those). Any way for an amateur to figure out which it is? A dead PSU would be fairly easy for me to sort out, a dead mobo would make me think about replacing the machine.

Many thanks to anyone who reads this and can offer some advice! :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

At a brief guess, I'd say at the very least too, your looking at the power supply unit (as you thought yourself) as the problem.
    End of the day you will probably indeed be bringing it somewhere to get fixed, just make sure the place is reliable and/or its a good friend who really knows what they are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it sounds like the psu alright
    the only way to be sure is to try and get your hands on another one from another pc or a friend and test it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Agree with previous posts about the PSU.

Usually I disconnect any PCI cards and take out the RAM too before replacing the PSU.

If you are around Waterford you can have a loan of one to check it out.

Advertisement