Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What mobile broadband service is good for online gaming???

• 11-04-2011 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

O2
    Vodafone
    Meteor
    E mobile

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

none can be described as good for online gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

none of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

vodafone land line is not that much more that there mobile broadband i get mine at 38a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

my mate is using the meteor broadband hotspot thing and he says it's class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

I'm afraid all the other posters are right. Mobile broadband isn't "good" for gaming. Only a very small percentage of users experience what might be described as adequate performance. It depends on your location to the base station and how many other users are accessing it too.

What location are you in? You might be able to get a fixed wireless network like permaNET or DigiWeb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Has he tested to ping times and jitter? Most likely he just happens to be in a good spot. If he used it at a different location, it might be a very different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

my friend uses meteor too, it's the best mobile option available (chapelizod) but it would still never be described as "good", it's adequate at best as mentioned above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Mobile Broadband is horrible for online gaming. But the best of a bad bunch would be the Meteor one. althought you've to run it through a laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I have 3 and for the most part it works as well as when I had eircom broadband but for whatever reasons fifa 11 online is a bit of a nightmare. It depends on you're location and the weather as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

I use O2 for the PS3 and the Xbox. Never have much problems. During 7pm till 9pm ya might get lag but hey, not that annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

I sometimes use 3 MiFi most of the time the connection is good, at certain times the connection may be weak during daytime but thats just a small minor complaint overall its good could be because of base station being nearby and not as many users as other networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭l3m0n5

I us a O2 usb stick and on COD I normally get 3 bars. But the lag can be noticable at time (guys running past you killing you all before you even noticed) Found the best times were late evening after 11pm and any time week days before 3:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,214 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I barely found Meteor mobile broadband any use for browsing the internet, nevermind gaming :( Piece of garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

mobile broadband is very location dependent your best bet is to get a trial and see if it works and if not return it and try a different provider.

as just because one provider is crap in your area dosent mean they all are.
    it really depends on how many people are using the service in your area and your distance from the mast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭beardo81

Have Meteor broadband and no complaints here. Far better than the Eircom connection I used to have, congestion made that unusable most evenings! Most providers have a return guarantee if your not happy within a week or two so I'd try them all if you can and stick with the best if there's a half decent one. Location is key here!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

Yea I also use Meteor and it can be a bit temperamental however 90% of the time its great.. Moved house recently and the new location has made it even better. I used to use 3 but it was unplayable! I'd say if you have to use mobile broadband Meteor would be the best. But as the previous posters said, try a trial run first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

as mentioned, there is waaaaay to many viaribales, i used 3 and meteor and have no issues with it at all

mobile broadband should only be as a last resort really,fixed and actual proper broadband is always recommended

mobile boradband isn't even technically broadband, it's midband... and if it's great one day, it might not work the next

But I have used meteor and 3 and it worked fine... meteor was better than 3 for me..

you could just ask friends or family on different networks how their signal is on their 3g phone, same technology for the mobile sticks... other than that there is at least a 7 day cooling off period and three has a 2 week money back gaurantee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

I used meteor Dongle for a few months until i got upc. I thought it was really good after most people said they were fairly s**te at times. but have to say i never really had a problem with it and had a solid connection for most games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭DUB777

None, you need broadband. You'll be lagging all the time, wasting your money with any of them.

DUB777 wrote: »
    None, you need broadband. You'll be lagging all the time, wasting your money with any of them.

Bollocks, it totally depends on his location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

siblers wrote: »

Yea +1

I have played online with the old type vodafone dongle via a wireless connection with a dovado router for last 18 months and its only been unplayable on a handfull of occasions. I wasn't expecting it to work but it has and continues to run smooth.

I cant find any fault with it in general. Only for it, id be playing boardgames!

I have actually just got a new vodafone 'hi speed' dongle, must try it out for a while and see if its any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭leemurta

I have 3 broadband I have the little dongle plugged into a netgear router and the signal is shared between a few computers, I have pretty much lag free matches in every game except when theres 3 or 4 of the computers on. I live out in the country near Dundalk where theres not a great internet service so its pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Used Meteor through the laptop and had no problems playing online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

Doing fine on Modern Warfare 2 with O2. An hour long session only uses up about 20MB on xbox live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

have a 3 wireless router. im on the national broadband scheme (joys of living in the back of nowhere) its pretty good. can be a bit of lag sometimes but 90% of the time its great. often be playing the ps3 while my nephew would bbe on his xbox in the other room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

What is the mobile broadband like downloading patches,DLC & XBLA Games.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Scorpion venom

think ill stick to my 30Mb UPC line lol :) but if it works for you happy days i guess :)

GTR63 wrote: »
    What is the mobile broadband like downloading patches,DLC & XBLA Games.

Grand, I have three and get average download speeds of about 3-4 mb and upload of 0.5 to 1.0 mb. Bit slower around 5 or so and when it's stormy out it's pretty much usless (biggest drawback)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Its pretty much shoot and miss with mobile broadband.

Ive three broadband in the middle of nowhere and it does the job most of the time. Only get lag the odd time and mostly only during the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

siblers wrote: »

Mobile internet is not suitable for on-line gaming. OP get a proper ISP like UPC or if that's not available in your area try eircom.

Advertisement