Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised bed versus whole Field

Options
  • 11-04-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

While I like the look of the raised beds pictured throughout the forum, I've been wondering if its not feasible for me. I have a 3/4 acre field and thought about just getting it plowed and tilled ready for growing vegetables. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what will you do with the veg?
    you'd never eat that much veg yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

3/4 acre is a huge amount to start of with id think about that before jumping in. Break it up into sections even put some hens on part of it etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Raised beds, when done right, get in more heat, provide better water management and allow for better soil control with things like PH.

Do what I do, use raised beds for most stuff, and use lazybeds or till for spuds and grains

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

We have hens and ducks. We'd use some of the produce ourselves but I was thinking of getting my daughter involved in growing and selling some, maybe. Probably to family and friends. She's only 4 and when going through Woodies the other day she begged me to get her a gardening set. She has a small wheel barrow, buckets, small tools and watering can. She wanted me to get her the spade, brush and rake too but I'll see what she makes of it first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    Raised beds, when done right, get in more heat, provide better water management and allow for better soil control with things like PH.

Do what I do, use raised beds for most stuff, and use lazybeds or till for spuds and grains

Yeah I think I'll start off with 2 raised beds and take it from there. Its something for the little one to get into. She's only 4 and loves making her own money. She does chores around the home and gets a few €€ for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

If she's four, I'd plough and plant the whole lot, it will tire her out and you're guaranteed a great nights sleep !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

What about a kitchen garden with paths? A mix of veg, flower beds, bushes etc. If you have the inclination think about a simple parterre garden?
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=parterre+garden&hl=en&rlz=1R2ADFA_enIE426&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=aCGkTcXbOoyzhAf3wsHiCQ&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1260&bih=790

Would love to have your space :-)

Advertisement