Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose some trees..

Options
  • 11-04-2011 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a few ideas on trees to go along a drive, about 150meters long so about 10/12 trees..
    I'd like a more upright habit if possible, sorbus springs to mind.. Ideally flowering or with an interest of some sort... We live in a reasonably exposed site..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

bbam wrote: »
    I'm looking for a few ideas on trees to go along a drive, about 150meters long so about 10/12 trees..
    I'd like a more upright habit if possible, sorbus springs to mind.. Ideally flowering or with an interest of some sort... We live in a reasonably exposed site..

Single and also Multi stemed Birch is a lovely tree.Recently bought some of them for my own garden.Bark goes a nice white colour as the tree grows/ages and has nice branches and small leaves,that still lets sunlight through it.Lovely tree.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

bbam wrote: »

A beautiful Sorbus with a columnar (upright) habit is Sorbus acuparia Autumn Spire. Wonderful in a line/avenue with narrow upright form. Flowers and yellow berries with beautiful autumnal leaf colour later.

An alternative worth considering is Prunus Amanogawa (Flagpole cherry).

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Sorbus aucuparia `Autumn Spire` SB got there first

Fagus sylvatica Dawyck Gold and/or Purple (my favourite the Purple)
    And if you have a site not suitable for beech Carpinus 'Fastigiata'

Sorbus aria 'Lutescens' (I have heard of a upright form of this just can't find the name...

Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd'

And if you have the time .....

Juniperus communis 'Hibernica'

Juniperus virginiana 'Skyrocket'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Fruit trees, they flower, they fruit, they lose leaves (autumnie), great.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Fruit trees, flowers, fruits, loses leaves (autumnie), great.:)

Yep, I was thinking pretty much the same thing. I'm pretty sure there are columnar crab apple trees that you could then use the fruit to make jam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Fruit trees, they flower, they fruit, they lose leaves (autumnie), great.:)
    Indeed but I was looking for trees with an upright habit and I already have an area sectioned off for about 20 fruit trees as I am...

Thanks for the suggestions folks..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Dont forget that when Sorbus loose their berries then the ground and your car gets stained and very very messy indeed from the berries.

Bear that in mind.

Advertisement