Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Accommodation in Galway

Options
  • 11-04-2011 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi

I'm just wondering if it's possible to rent a room for around 45 euros per week once the students finish for the summer? I'm a postgrad and I'm looking for a place to stay while I'm doing my thesis.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes should be no problem to find a room this summer.
    Start looking at www.daft.ie and the classifieds in the Galway Advertiser.
    You can also contact www.donegancourt.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ann-Marie

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Might have some rooms going in my place, right in the center of the city, they'll be €70/week though but double rooms. Will know next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vinniew09

i am also looking for a house/appartment in the city but all i can find is 70E plus on daft for anything half decent.im a student aswell and i got offered full time work for the summer so somewere nice and cheap would be brilliant....i have to save up for next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You get what you pay....

I'd be very surprised if you can find anything for 45/week in Galway. I reckon anything under 70/week won't be pretty!

• Advertisement

For €45 a week, expect either a shoddy house or a tiny room, that's pretty much a guarantee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Neither of those are true.

I know someone who rented a room all last summer for €175/month. It was a really nice place in Newcastle, none of the damp, grottiness you'd expect, in fact it was better than my place! I was a bit suprised tbh, some landlords don't want the place left empty over the summer months and will rent it out to at least one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vinniew09

thats exactly what i was looking for. i know people that stayed in their for 40€ a week,and it was a smahing house. Only thing is my landlord for what ever reason doesnt want to lease it out for the summer. Do you know anyone??

vinniew09 wrote: »
    thats exactly what i was looking for. i know people that stayed in their for 40€ a week,and it was a smahing house. Only thing is my landlord for what ever reason doesnt want to lease it out for the summer. Do you know anyone??

If you can find me a genuinely lovely room for 40euro/week in Galway city please let me know :)

Hey, it's my post so let me know first, just kidding:D, but please do let me know if anything cheap and central comes up! I'm actually in a really nice place and paying just under 60. The only problem is that it's a half hour walk to the centre. I've been walking the same route all winter so It would nice to have a place closer to town.

• Advertisement

Ann-Marie wrote: »
    Hey, it's my post so let me know first, just kidding:D, but please do let me know if anything cheap and central comes up! I'm actually in a really nice place and paying just under 60. The only problem is that it's a half hour walk to the centre. I've been walking the same route all winter so It would nice to have a place closer to town.

I was chatting to a few people the other day, all of them are paying 90euro/week. But it's bang in the city centre, couldn't get more central

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

If people are paying 90 euro a week now for the city centre this surely should drop significantly in June when the students leave.
    The thing is that most city apartments tend to be rented out as a whole apartment as oppose to seperate rooms which would be more common out westside so it might be a good idea to find maybe 2 other people and im sure ye could get an apartment for hardly anything

Thanks for all the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

<See charter - please use daft.ie or advertiser or similar to announce vacancies in your house, mod>

But nobody is actually advertising a room on this forum, we're only discussing the price of rent!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Never mind when the students leave - I was looking at a small room in Newcastle in February. The house was lovely and recently refurbished. The room was €50/week but it didn't suit me... it wasn't really small either, it was enough space for me. The landlord rang me back and offered it for €45.

Places can be found if you want to look. I bargained down a few landlords as well but unfortunately many people still think it's ok to pay ridiculous rent. I have 2 friends on Middle Street, their house is nice and they have double rooms - €70/week, and I've another friend in a lovely place on Forster St for €80/week.

But I also know someone who thinks it's fine to be paying €115/week on College Rd for a standard double room.

I suppose it all depends on how much money you have, and what kind of things you're looking for. I prefer to make do with a small room thus paying less and having more money to spend on other things :-)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dermotm923

Any ideas for a place to rent short term (5-8 weeks) from 3rd of may? any help would be greatly aprecciated..

I'm also lookin for summer accommodation as Ive to do placement. . grrr.
    But im willing to pay more . . up to like . . 80 a week. .
    Who ever asked for accommodation for 40 a week is kidding themselves..

If anyone sees anything, please lemme know..
    Been plaging daft and the advertiser for weeks! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

friend of mine has a double room coming up for rent, its in the suburbs though (knocknacarra) that too far for people? i can get the details if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

I'm also lookin for summer accommodation as Ive to do placement. . grrr.
    But im willing to pay more . . up to like . . 80 a week. .
    Who ever asked for accommodation for 40 a week is kidding themselves..

If anyone sees anything, please lemme know..
    Been plaging daft and the advertiser for weeks! :o

I've seen loads of stuff on daft for that price. And it's worth calling people up and seeing whether they would consider just for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Use daft.ie and/or Galway Advertiser.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement