Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to Belfast for work

Options
  • 11-04-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I may be due to start work in Belfast soon on an initial temp contract which may become permanent.

I have a young family and moving all up on the off chance the job becomes permanent doesnt really make sense,i dont think.

Its a 4 on 4 off shift so was wondering about peoples ideas on commuting for my off days?

All thoughts welcome

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

where are you coming from to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭inkogneetoe

Sorry. I left out the most important info.

Based in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I used to commute up and down (work in Belfast, family commitments in Cork) and it's doable, particularly with the motorway being virtually door to door now. What are your particular concerns about doing it? You have 4 days in Belfast, 4 in Cork and then do it all again right?

pow wow wrote: »
    I used to commute up and down (work in Belfast, family commitments in Cork) and it's doable, particularly with the motorway being virtually door to door now. What are your particular concerns about doing it? You have 4 days in Belfast, 4 in Cork and then do it all again right?

Ya 4 in Belfast 4 in Cork,wash rinse repeat.

Concerns: Time away from family,cost of commute in the 100's per month,time spent commuting(surely 2 out of 4 days off ruled out),If we all move up and the job dosent go perm then stuck up north jobless. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The average journey time (depending on traffic etc etc.) is about 4.5 hours from Belfast city centre to the airport roundabout. Depending on where you live in Cork you can add/subtract from that as a guideline. So if you were an early morning person you could leave Belfast at say, 6am, hit the M50 about 7.45am and be in Cork for 10.30am. Driving back late on the evening before you start work helps too. That way you don't 'lose' the days you travel, but you might be a bit tired. I used to do it that way because I'd come down on a Saturday and back up on a Tuesday ready for work on Wednesday. I didn't do it every week though (maybe 2 or 3 out of 4). Once you're into a routine of it it does get easier, but the driving is mind-numbing thanks to the motorways :rolleyes:

Costs wise I would have spent about 60 euro on diesel round trip and then there's the guts of 10 euro each way on tolls (Fermoy, Abbeyleix, M50 and M1 North). You can circumvent the Abbeyleix/M1 North ones without adding too much time to the journey if you want to, or just go through the tolls if you're not bothered.

As you have a whole family to think of I think you're right about not moving the whole show up there. Of course you can make it work but only you can decide if it's worth the time/effort and money!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info.

I do think i will commute as moving all up there for the possibility of a perm job is a bit mad.

It does beat having to travel even further afield which was becoming a real possibility. 4.5 hrs driving,Ill have to get some audio books lol.

Advertisement