Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to change an Immersion?

Options
  • 11-04-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

I have tested my Immersion and it seems like the Immersion is gone. The stat is working ok as the neutral is going through it with 220v. But when I connect the bath cable the breaker goes. If I connect the sink cable, it will stay on for about 1/2 an hr and then the breaker goes. So I think it is the Immersion.

So I'm wondering how to change it. I have the Immersion spanner for taking it out. The only thing I'm wondering about is, do I have to turn off the water when taking it out?, do I drain the tank also? Basically what do I do about the water? Will the tank become air locked.

Thanks in advance,
    Beng.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

easy to follow instructions with pictures.:D

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/plumb_immersion_heater.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Turn off the valve on the pipe that feeds into the bottom of the cylinder and put on the hot tap at the bath or sink in bathroom and when it stops flowing you know you have the right valve off.

Our cylinders here dont usually have the drain valve like in the link evosteo has up, or i dont notice them anyway:D, but its not really needed.

Have a meter of hose and basin ready. Open the immersion nut like the pictures in the link show, this is the hard bit usually, as they can be well stuck. If you do manage to crack the thing loose, have a towel ready for the cupful or 2 of water that will spill out, and just catch it with the towel as it runs out of the opening. Then screw it out and use the hose to syphon the level a few inches below the opening. So the cylinder does not need to be drained completely, only a couple of litres at most, and i only do that syphoning bit because once or twice the shut of valve did not totally stop the water and it would slowly allow water into the cylinder. And anyway it is easier to get the new element in with the wated a few inches lower than the opening so none is spilling as the element goes in.

PTFE tape on the threads of new one and a bit of bosswhite on its fibre washer, and screw it in.

All easier said than done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

Get a plumber to do it, I know two very competent plumbers who I work closely beside and they sometimes have trouble with immersion changes.

On the other hand a lot of the time it's handy enough and they change so many they're bound to come across difficult changes now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 code187.2010

It depends on whether alot of sealant was used when it was first fitted. I've seen alloy spanners break and tanks buckle trying to remove old immersions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have not had time to read the article but just to give a little feedback. When changing an immersion DO NOT empty the copper tank. Turn off the water to it but do not empty it

What you do is crank it free with the tank full. Do not take the immersion off just free it. If you have the tank full it will reduce the posibility of the tank kinking when turning.

Then when the free release the water and drill up the slight spillage. Prob a good idea to have a few towels on the floor before hand.

This is standard plumbing practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i see they advise a bit of penetrating oil-never tried that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

BenG wrote: »
    Hi,

I have tested my Immersion and it seems like the Immersion is gone. The stat is working ok as the neutral is going through it with 220v. But when I connect the bath cable the breaker goes. If I connect the sink cable, it will stay on for about 1/2 an hr and then the breaker goes. So I think it is the Immersion.

So I'm wondering how to change it. I have the Immersion spanner for taking it out. The only thing I'm wondering about is, do I have to turn off the water when taking it out?, do I drain the tank also? Basically what do I do about the water? Will the tank become air locked.

Thanks in advance,
    Beng.

Good advice thus far: the one variable is knowing what length the elements are on the old one so best done while suppliers open if u dont know for certain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I canged one just the other day and it took about a minute to get the old one out. And a few years ago i changed one where the threaded opening tore away from the cylinder in one spot, so i ended up changing the entire cylinder. So they vary. Never tried the oil myself either, but have tapped the spanner with the hammer alright, in both directions which does help sometimes. I dont put bosswhite on the threads, only a small amount on the fibre washer on the side that is in contact with the cylinder so that should make them a little easier to remove again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If it won't budge when you put reasonable force on it, I would cut away the fiber washer with a junior hack saw. Being careful bit to damage the matting/sealing surface on the top of the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 owen78702

Hi Guys. I'm new here. Was searching the thread recently before I tried to change the immersion element. Today was my day to change the element. I was ready in my mind to have to replace the copper cylinder. Well it all worked out fine. I applied a small blow torch to the element head for a few minutes. I then slightly tightened the element with a few taps from a hammer. This broke the seal. Then I twisted it off. All went well, thank god. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

owen78702 wrote: »
    Hi Guys. I'm new here. Was searching the thread recently before I tried to change the immersion element. Today was my day to change the element. I was ready in my mind to have to replace the copper cylinder. Well it all worked out fine. I applied a small blow torch to the element head for a few minutes. I then slightly tightened the element with a few taps from a hammer. This broke the seal. Then I twisted it off. All went well, thank god. Hope this helps.

welcome to boards
    well done you;)

Advertisement