Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is someone from Tipperary called?

Options
  • 11-04-2011 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

did a google search and cant find it,and im fairly sure i cant guess this one
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Sound :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Mam.

Dunno though.

Mother said stone throwers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 trickobrien

haha i knew i let myself in for this,but just out of curiousity if anyone does know the right way,thatd be great-cause its annoyin me now

i mean its hardly Tipperarians,or Tipperovians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Drunks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bitter

yokels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Tippers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

Most of them are called Ryan,at least in North Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Na Tiobraidigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Stonethrowers? Heard that a few times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

A bogger

I think every county has a set of nicknames

E.g Cork
    The Rebel County
    They are referred to as Rebels (or Rebellettes)
    They are also referred to as Corkonians

In Tipperary's case
    We are the Premier County
    We are known as the stone throwers (i dont know where it comes from i think we are said to have gotten a little rowdy after a hurling match back in the day :))
    We are probably and less commonly known as Tipperarian's (sounds better then Tipperovians imo)

Kilkenny are the marble county
    They refer to themselves as the Cats
    Their hurling team is sometimes called the stripey men

etc etc etc

In Tipperary's case
    We are the Premier County
    We are known as the stone throwers (i dont know where it comes from i think we are said to have gotten a little rowdy after a hurling match back in the day :))

Straight from the most obvious site
    The origin of the name is difficult to ascertain. Local Historians are of the opinion that the name "Stonethrowers" originated during thefactionfighting between Tipperary and Kilkenny people. Some of the better documented faction fighting took place around Urlingford and Cappawhite on the County Border.
    During the early part of this century the name Stonethrowers would have been used by the National and local Press when describing the Hurling or Football matches between Tipperary and another County, i.e. Tipperary Stonethrowers against The Kilkenny Cats, or The Stonethrowers against The Wexford Yellow Bellies.

Faction fighting was big around Tipperary. In fact it was most widespread in the counties that have big GAA traditions nowadays. Parish rivalries and all that.

TG4 did a fine documentary on it
    http://beo.tg4.ie/main.aspx?level=Faisneis&content=404945511425

Ha ha, the wexford yellow bellies, After that I think stone throwers is quite acceptable. Oh yeah, as regards the Premier county, premier is another way of saying prime minister. How about the Tipperary Prime Ministers?

Robert Peel was elected for Cashel, but a lot of gerrymandering going on and only a handful of votes needed to be an MP

Dodgy politics from Tipperary?? Never!
    It's ye lads in the south ;)

The origin of the name is difficult to ascertain. Local Historians are of the opinion that the name "Stonethrowers" originated during thefactionfighting between Tipperary and Kilkenny people. Some of the better documented faction fighting took place around Urlingford and Cappawhite on the County Border.
    During the early part of this century the name Stonethrowers would have been used by the National and local Press when describing the Hurling or Football matches between Tipperary and another County, i.e. Tipperary Stonethrowers against The Kilkenny Cats, or The Stonethrowers against The Wexford Yellow Bellies.

Cappawhite has to be a mistake as it isnt on the Kilkenny border. Its nearer Limerick in West Tipp. I think there is a townsland called Cappagh between Callan and Ballingarry near Carroll Joinery which could be where they are referring to.
    But i think your on the right track with Urlingford. Fennor Hill between Gortnahoe (Tipperary) and Urlingford (Kilkenny) used be the scene of early Tipp v Kilkenny matches and perhaps an incident of sorts took place there.

Robert Peel was elected for Cashel, but a lot of gerrymandering going on and only a handful of votes needed to be an MP

Dodgy politics from Tipperary?? Never!
    It's ye lads in the south ;)

Wonder did Ben Dunnes ancestor build an extension for him? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Tipp man/Women
    Bog Warrior

I prefer to be called premier myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

They have Langers in Cork and Lowry's in North Tipp!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭Comhrá

What is someone from Tipperary called?

A Tippman of course! ...... not exactly difficult to figure that out now, is it?
    :D

J.

• Advertisement

tippman1 wrote: »
    A Tippman of course! ...... not exactly difficult to figure that out now, is it?
    :D

J.

oh oh, someone has opened the sexist door! Just as it's apparently a crime to say postman, instead of post person, it is a crime to say Tippman instead of Tipp person. Tut tut tut.:p You'll never make it in the P.C. madWorld.

Ha ha, the wexford yellow bellies, After that I think stone throwers is quite acceptable. Oh yeah, as regards the Premier county, premier is another way of saying prime minister. How about the Tipperary Prime Ministers?

I think its Premier generally means no1 or top so i suppose you could say David Cameron is the top man or most powerful man in Britain.

Another term for prime minister is premier rather than the other way around :)

BTW, i just thought id emphasise the no1 or top bit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I think its Premier generally means no1 or top so i suppose you could say David Cameron is the top man or most powerful man in Britain.

Another term for prime minister is premier rather than the other way around :)

BTW, i just thought id emphasise the no1 or top bit :D

I believe the term 'premier' actually dates back to historical times and characters, rebellions, freedom fighters etc. and that the old paralance was ''where Tipp led others followed'' and therefore we were reffered to as the Premier county, other counties now like to put this No 1 slant on it to back their claims that we are arrogant etc.

I believe the term 'premier' actually dates back to historical times and characters, rebellions, freedom fighters etc. and that the old paralance was ''where Tipp led others followed'' and therefore we were reffered to as the Premier county, other counties now like to put this No 1 slant on it to back their claims that we are arrogant etc.

Unfortunately it's easy to fall into the trap of becoming arrogant when all the others are WIMPS who can only follow, UP TIPP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

Cappawhite has to be a mistake as it isnt on the Kilkenny border. Its nearer Limerick in West Tipp. I think there is a townsland called Cappagh between Callan and Ballingarry near Carroll Joinery which could be where they are referring to.
    But i think your on the right track with Urlingford. Fennor Hill between Gortnahoe (Tipperary) and Urlingford (Kilkenny) used be the scene of early Tipp v Kilkenny matches and perhaps an incident of sorts took place there.

Id say cappawhite is correct there was a documentary on the faction fighting on Tnag a while back it was mentioned alot

DaveJac wrote: »
    Id say cappawhite is correct there was a documentary on the faction fighting on Tnag a while back it was mentioned alot

Yeah your right. i actually misinterpreted the original post there thinking they were referring to Cappawhite as being on the kilkenny border.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Tippman/woman is the only one ive ever heard

Advertisement