Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many books do you have to your name?

Options
  • 11-04-2011 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

^^^ Exactly as it says there. I was just wondering if the majority of people actually collect books, or just buy it, read it and send it to a charity shop or what?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Nagikami

Sorry I meant to post this in the Literature forum

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

I used to be a big collector of books and at one time had 100's of them. I've moved house several times over the last few years and they were nothing but a pain in the a**e to move so I gave the majority of them away to friends and charity shops. ive kept about 50 mostly unread novels and cookery books. i'd always hang on to the cookery books.

Would you have kept them if you had stayed in the same house?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

At the moment I would have about 300. I would have more but my family go crazy as I have books all over the house! Last summer I gave about 100 books away to a nearby charity shop as my sister told me that she was sick of my books and so for every book I bought I had to give one away. Needless to say I didn't stick to that rule for very long and in the last 3 months have bought about 30! (It's an addiction!)

I think I know that feeling My parents used to be like that because it's almost impossible to move in my room because of the books The problem is once you've had book for ages you don't want to get rid of it because you want to read it again and it has sentimental value Well that's the case for me anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

My major problem is that a lot of my books are about American history and politics and I don't want to give them away, because as a collection, I think they are important. Also I know as the years go on I'll keep adding to them (God bless American Presidential elections) so I want to build up an impressive collection.

It's hard to get rid of books you enjoy (also to intimidate any guests eho come into your house =D) My collection's mostly novels (science-fiction and fantasy mainly) but I do have a few books on Roman history and I find it hard to get rid of those because I always think "It's history! I should be treasuring these books"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 donal_cam

I've about 170-180 books. Mostly politics (current affairs and political theory), history and social affairs (things like economics). Drives the family crazy. On a sidenote, I'm not too bad compared to an ex's father- he had so many books, they needed to put up shelves in the bloody toilet to make room for all of them. Strange bloke he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Nagikami wrote: »
    ^^^ Exactly as it says there. I was just wondering if the majority of people actually collect books, or just buy it, read it and send it to a charity shop or what?

I'd say heading for a couple of thousand books :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

About 450+ at the moment,about half of them are hardback/trade format ,so they take up alot of space .I did a big clearout about a year ago as I was running out of storage space.Gave most to charity and a few to work colleagues. The ones I was'nt sure about I gave to my son telling him "These will be well worth reading when your older".Then I bought him a new Ikea book unit for his room;).
    I think my wife might be on to me,so lets keep this between ourselves.

• Advertisement

I'd say heading for a couple of thousand books :o
    A couple of thousand? I'm impressed Where do you find the find the space to put them?
    About 450+ at the moment,about half of them are hardback/trade format ,so they take up alot of space .I did a big clearout about a year ago as I was running out of storage space.Gave most to charity and a few to work colleagues. The ones I was'nt sure about I gave to my son telling him "These will be well worth reading when your older".Then I bought him a new Ikea book unit for his room;).
    I think my wife might be on to me,so lets keep this between ourselves.

Haha I might use this trick. I just need to find a small child somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I keep buying them. Have a huge stockpile of books in my bedroom I haven't read yet, and I just know I'll have bought more by the time I get around to them. Don't know how many yet, but at least 50 anyway (which is quite a lot considering I only really started reading as a hobby about a year or two ago.)

Damn you 3 for 2 offer at Waterstones! :mad::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Ive maybe 3000 or more. My entire place is bookcased floor to ceiling, Ive actually got no space left for more bookcasing so may have to cull some one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

A couple of thousand? I'm impressed Where do you find the find the space to put them?

My sitting room, bedroom, drawer under my bed, at least 50 piled around my desk in work; in my parents' house my old room, where they spill out into the hall into a couple more bookshelves, the spare room, sitting room, and usually a few in everyone else's bedroom. In a house share at the moment, but when I have my own house I intend to have a library so I can't throw any away (not that I want to). My parents probably hate me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

I have near 500, I'd say. Every so often I have a clear out and give some to charity but I only gave away books that I didn't really enjoy and know that I wouldn't read them again. I've a bookcase in my room and wardrobe but the rest are in the attic:( I rotate them all though:pac:

Damn you 3 for 2 offer at Waterstones! mad.giftongue.gif
    I think we've all fallen for that trap =D They just look so much more appealling when they're on sale
    Ive maybe 3000 or more. My entire place is bookcased floor to ceiling, Ive actually got no space left for more bookcasing so may have to cull some one day.
    Or.... you could convert your bedroom into a library =D Just take out the bed and replace it with a couple more bookshelves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 grocklecat

lightweights the lot of you! ;)

a couple of years ago i did a major book cull and cut them down to under 4,000.
    plenty more have passed through my hands since then, and some have stayed, but there's still room to squeeze a couple more in somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

A few thousand books i'd say and I add to it every week, and as my habit became so bad i went and bought myself a large garden shed and that has become my library. It has bookselves floor to ceiling and its just about full :o Everyone keeps telling me they're going to hold a booksale and sell my books but i'd kill anyone if they touched them. They're my babies i mean books ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

After a recent cull I would say I have about 700, but with plenty room on the shelves for more :D now where to find the cash to get them... all book tokens gratefully accepted... Birthday, Christmas, Mondays, Tuesdays... thankfully my family have the picture now... Ah the power to walk into a bookshop with a book token.... :D LOVE IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The missus and I went travelling a few months ago, and packed up the books we had. Came to about 1200 between the two of us, all gathering dust in an attic in Galway.

Have a Kindle for travelling - amazing, much lighter to carry around - but not the same as having a physical copy of a book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I have thousands of books. Keep them in my local library so no need to take up any space in the house :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I've built up a decant enough collection over the last 3-4 years. Nothing compared to some in this thread, but then I'm still in early days. Not counting fiction, which I don't keep track of, I've got at least 100 history books on my shelves. Plus probably another two dozen works on current affairs or political theory. I'm constantly referencing all these so most of the books are piled up in little stacks; you could probably use these to map my though processes for the past few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I only own about 20. They would be a combination of textbooks and language books. I'm a big fan of libraries. I never read fiction twice. For me the only reason to keep a book is if I want it for reference.

I interpreted the thread title as "how many books have you written?" initially. I thought boardsies must be a fairly high-brow bunch!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Used to have hundreds and hundreds but moving house 7 times in 8 years put paid to that and I gave away most to friends/charity shops. Had I stayed in my original house I would have kept them all as I did in the 12 years I lived there. Kept all my cookery books though, and a copy of Little Women by Louisa M Alcott I got when I was 11, (a long, long while ago now!) - 1973.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Have a few hundred between moi,OH and our babies,have a Kindle which is great but I will always buy my favourite author's books- nothing compares with the feel and smell of a new book being opened for the 1st time.:)

I interpreted the thread title as "how many books have you written?" initially. I thought boardsies must be a fairly high-brow bunch!:pac:

Oh well if we're talking about written... about 73 (Including the Bible) =D
    msthe80s wrote: »
    nothing compares with the feel and smell of a new book being opened for the 1st time.:)

Or the second... Or the third...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Between 400 and 500 I'd say. I can never bear to part with a book I own, cos I might someday wanna re-read it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Oh well if we're talking about written... about 73 (Including the Bible) =D

You wrote the Bible? :confused::p

• Advertisement

You wrote the Bible? :confused::p

Well I don't like to boast but yeah... :p

Advertisement