Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering : Physics

Options
  • 11-04-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I was just wondering whether, realistically, it would be possible to do Engineering having not done Physics at Leaving Cert level?

I have regretted for a while not taking physics as Maths is probably my strongest subject and I have heard it plays quite a central role

I have chemistry and biology at leaving cert level if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Loads of people don't have it, you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

This may be based solely on my experience and if others have found otherwise do say so...

I think that what subjects you have done for the LC isn't really that important. College doesn't really build on what you know from the LC. What's more important is displaying an aptitude for a subject I guess.

If something like physics is central to a course, what you need to know will be thought to you in first year. There are some obvious exceptions (like taking a language as a major - LC standard is expected), but in general you will be thought the basics in first year if they are needed. You can go into any science discipline on the back of having a different science subject at LC level, indeed many have and haven't been constrained as a result.

Hope that makes sense. Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

It helps a bit, having chemistry does as well, but it's not essential by anymeans. By the end of first year you'll be on a level playing field with everyone else. Getting a high maths grade is probably more important than either to be honest.

I know people who have ended up doing a BSci in Physics having not done it for the leaving cert so I wouldn't even let it come into the equation when making you choice on the CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LiamOSullivan

Haven taken physics would only give you a slightly easier first semester.

I'm studying physics, and the degree is organised such that you could, with some effort, do perfectly fine having not done physics or higher-maths for the leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

youll be fine, i didnt do physics or chemestry for the lc and was grand. yeah you might have to work a bit harder but i wouldn't worry about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 93duffy93

thanks for all your imputs ill bare it all in mind:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Physic's and Chemistry are an advantage but not a necessity. You'll just find 1st year a shade easier around those exams. Same could be said for maths etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DonQuigleone

For Engineering the biggest help is actually Applied Maths, and very few people take that. I wouldn't worry too much. The less you know the less boring you'll probably find 1st year ( a lot of first year is just a retread of the LC)

Advertisement