Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Secure Watch + EI Smoke Alarms.

Options
  • 11-04-2011 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to connect the interconnect line from EI dual powered smoke alarms to a HKC secure Watch alarm and get it to text a 'Fire Alarm message' to my mobile ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

If they have a n/c then they should work. You could also use these. The can be used with most alarm system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

No, they are only designed to work with other mains operated smokes.
    Menvier make a good fire detector

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

What is the voltage required on the Secure Watch panel to trigger a fire alert text ?

Just wondering if there is some way to convert activation on the interconnect line of the smoke alarms to a compatible signal for the alarm panel. A relay and some logic chips ?
    I ask because I have three fitted and three more paid for to be fitted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

The panel supply to the unit is 12v. They need a n/c circuit to open to trigger the alarm.

Satts wrote: »
    What is the voltage required on the Secure Watch panel to trigger a fire alert text ?

Just wondering if there is some way to convert activation on the interconnect line of the smoke alarms to a compatible signal for the alarm panel. A relay and some logic chips ?
    I ask because I have three fitted and three more paid for to be fitted soon.
    What voltage do you get between the inc and neutral when the smoke activated. If it's 230 then get a relay with a 230 coil and 12vdc contact and do it that way, just wire the alarm zone to the relay

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    The panel supply to the unit is 12v. They need a n/c circuit to open to trigger the alarm.

I was told today what ever I connect to the fire alarm inputs on the alarm panel has to be 'voltage free'. Is this because there will be 12vdc on one leg of the alarm input, going through a loop and connected back to another alarm input ? And if this loop is broken, i.e. preventing the 12Vdc returning to the alarm panel, the alarm will activate ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Volt free contact would be correct. Its a negetive out from the panel & the resistence on the return is whats measured.

There relay will provide the volt free contact you want. The type of relay you need will depend on the voltage from the inc

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭leo738

I realise this thread is fairly old but I wonder did the OP get this up & running?

I've got about 5 interconnected smoke/ heat alarms that I'd like to connect to my panel. I believe the an alarm is signalled to the other units with about 9v on the interconnect line. I'm think of trying to run a solid state relay from this to the alarm panel. The brand of my units are 'eclipse'

Regards,

Leo

For others that may be interested this guy seems to have found a solution (although I haven't tried it):

http://www.edcheung.com/automa/smoke_det.htm

• Advertisement

leo738 wrote: »
    I realise this thread is fairly old but I wonder did the OP get this up & running?

I've got about 5 interconnected smoke/ heat alarms that I'd like to connect to my panel. I believe the an alarm is signalled to the other units with about 9v on the interconnect line. I'm think of trying to run a solid state relay from this to the alarm panel. The brand of my units are 'eclipse'

Regards,

Leo

No I didn't, my Alarm installer wouldn't have anything to do with the existing EI smoke detectors.

Looking back now I'm glad he didn't.
    I now think the EI smoke detectors are very flimsy compared with the HKC ones.
    I have replaced one that has stopped working, green mains light on battery good, but no sound from it, it gave me a big fright.
    My grill in the kitchen sometimes sets off the EI smoke detector in the utility room. This would annoy my Alarm text list.

I got my alarm guy to install one HKC smoke detector and a HKC heat detector in the kitchen. They are very expensive, but look robust.

Hopefully I'm covered between the two systems.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Arn't the HKC wireless ones EI?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

KoolKid wrote: »
    Arn't the HKC wireless ones EI?

Yep. The detector heads are EI but the radio modules are HKC. I believe gsd use EI aswell and also Phonewatch's honeywell system

leo738 wrote: »
    For others that may be interested this guy seems to have found a solution (although I haven't tried it):

http://www.edcheung.com/automa/smoke_det.htm

Just in case it interests anyone..

I tried the solution above & have found so far that it is working correctly. The smoke alarm interconnect to other alarms continues to function & an alarm is triggered on my particular panel (an SPC 5 series).

In my house the smoke alarms upstairs don't appear interconnected to the smoke alarms downstairs so the possibility of a false alarm from the kitchen triggering a house alarm (which are triggered by the upstairs smoke alarms) is reduced.

Regards,

Leo

Advertisement