Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do you think of these kayaks for a beginner

Options
  • 11-04-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have got pretty good prices for these 3 Kayaks with backrests and paddles delivered from the uk. I was wondering if any of you had any experience with them or similar designs and if you think one is better then the other or if indeed all are good/bad.

It will be used by myself and my son (aged 9) for beach/surf fun in the summer months only, nothing too serious.basically a starter kayak.

Total newcommer, so any comments on these kayaks or indeed advice welcome.

http://www.fatyak-kayaks.co.uk/view_product.php

http://www.teksport.co.uk/kayaks-xcite290.php

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Hi

To me the second link looks slightly better, Not sure what prices you are getting but Check out shops here In Ireland selling Sit-on-tops.

The best sit-on-top I have used with kids and adults is the perception scooter loads of places sell them Here and they are great for everything.

From an advice side if you are knew to the sport try to get some training even the smallest amount will allow you and your son to control and maneuver the kayak and make you a little bit safer there is specific sit-on-top awards now too.

Cheers
    Patrick
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Thanks for the reply. Price for the second one "the xcite 290" , which I thought (no experience) looked like a better built kayak is £345 delivered with back rest and a paddle (link below).Kayak is on special offer, they say it usually retails at £349. How does this one look compared to the perception scooter for the package price I'm getting.I mean it's probably not as good, but at this price is it a good package for a beginner?

paddle http://www.palmequipmenteurope.com/gear/drift.html

Will also take on board your advice about a couple of lessons.

As I say we're totally new to this and all advice and comments are welcome.

Yea thats a pretty good price alright for everything. The kayak does look good too for that price id give it a go.
    Sure if your looking for afew lessons and your round the south east area give me a shout.

Patrick
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

Stewie01 - Thanks for that but €500 is proabably a bit more than I'm willing to go on our first one, but thanks for the offer.

Patrick - Thanks for the thumbs up on that Kayak, will give it a go I think. Will post how I get on with it. Thanks for the offer of lessons, but up in Donegal,so bit too far away. Thanks again for the advice.

I asked them about a bouyancy aid for the the young lad and they suggesting this one, what you think of it and the price. i need to measure his chest for them anyway,so have not ordered yet. Total price now including vat and shipping is £370 sterling. They seem good to deal with so far, a girl I know bought of them a few years back and had no bother. http://www.desperate-measures.co.uk/canoes-online/Palm_Quest.html

Yea looks a good BA Palm are a quality make so you should have no problem with it. You will get years out of the equipment.

Happy Paddling,

Patrick
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MikeOis

Hi Guys,

I'm in a similar situation, I have three Monkeys 7,3 and 6 months. I'm completely new to this sport and for the moment want to use for the beach/surf/fishing (not serious fishing).

I have looked at the Ocean Malibu 2XL, it can accommodate 2 adults and a small child or be used by one person, it can also allow for some fishing gear! Its a bit expensive, is this the top of the range?? Its more for my two boys in the later years that I will bring them out together. I'm more interested in stability and safety!

I think everybody is looking for a bargain and trying to get value for money!

It’s recreational/educational more then anything else and hopeful develop onto local rivers!

Gooner99, have you purchased the kayak you were interested in, any feedback would be great!

Paddy, I'm Limerick, I would be interested in getting some basic lessons, more one the safety aspect of it! What do I need to do?

Any comments would very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

MikeOis wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm in a similar situation, I have three Monkeys 7,3 and 6 months. I'm completely new to this sport and for the moment want to use for the beach/surf/fishing (not serious fishing).

I have looked at the Ocean Malibu 2XL, it can accommodate 2 adults and a small child or be used by one person, it can also allow for some fishing gear! Its a bit expensive, is this the top of the range?? Its more for my two boys in the later years that I will bring them out together. I'm more interested in stability and safety!

I think everybody is looking for a bargain and trying to get value for money!

It’s recreational/educational more then anything else and hopeful develop onto local rivers!

Gooner99, have you purchased the kayak you were interested in, any feedback would be great!

Paddy, I'm Limerick, I would be interested in getting some basic lessons, more one the safety aspect of it! What do I need to do?

Any comments would very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike, in the end I decided not to go for it, as it doesn't seem to be the most well known brand. I have decided to get the young lad a few lessons with the local school.He has differnt types and also a 2 man, so we can see what we like and probably buy second hand (or new if there are good deals) at the end of the season. I like the look of the perceptions. The experienced guys on here should be able to help you. Best of luck, let us know if you get any good deals. Enjoy!

Advertisement