Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop Repairs in PC World?

• 11-04-2011 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone could tell me if it's possible to get your laptop repaired in PC World? My friend's laptop charger and the 'charger input' (as he put it) broke and he has assignments due Friday. He goes to college in Galway if anyone knows anywhere else one could get this sort of problem fixed. Couldn't see anything about it on the website and any info would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

PC World do repairs (not sure if its in all PC world shops), Personal experience is to avoid them though as they can be over priced and under qualified.

If its just the charger a universal charger can be used, if you let me know the model number of he laptop I can recommend one that will definitely work with it.

If its the Input jack on the laptop it can be more difficult to fix (especially by Friday).

Its a good idea to have data backed up before bringing it anywhere (especially PC World)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

PC World have a forum on boards.

Going by the threads there it takes at least a month to get it back if you leave it there for repair, IF they don't lose it in transit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

I believe it's these guys they have now, lol
    http://www.thetechguys.com/

Did your mate get the lappy in PC world, or are you just trying them out of convenience?

TBH though, I'd suggest you try and find another place to do it instead. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

i hear they charge you 80euro to take it off you. thats before even looking at it. :mad:

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

They used to send everything over to England to get repaired not sure if they still do. I would try get an independent tech to look at it. Most shops will charge you 50 - 80 yoyo just to look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

They used to send everything over to England to get repaired not sure if they still do. I would try get an independent tech to look at it. Most shops will charge you 50 - 80 yoyo just to look at it.

They still do. The techs in Store are allowed to do nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

I had the same problem with HP nx6300.. well it was input jack on laptop that didn't get electricity from charger. Otherwise it was super fast nice laptop.

Anyway it's still gathering dust at mom's place because...

I showed it to few places in Dublin and I must say that word "under qualified" applies to 95% of those PC support companies, especially for PC World. TBH i don't get it how does PC World manages their business, how they keep it open on the whole??
    and it's not just this akward problem.. but what ever comes to a bit more technical than "what size of screen would I need in my room?" I cannot find an expert in this town :confused: The same goes with cars problems btw :(

So thanks God boards.ie exists and we are telling you PC World is overpriced and under qualified for sure.
    It's the best if your friend has some local electric fix shop nearby and ask them do they have experience in opening/fixing laptop? if do, they might get smthg done for 30-40eur.
    Ofcourse, ask them first to test another charger- they should have universal ones where you can set voltage and amperes according original charger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

freestyla wrote: »
    I had the same problem with HP nx6300.. well it was input jack on laptop that didn't get electricity from charger. Otherwise it was super fast nice laptop.

Anyway it's still gathering dust at mom's place because...

I showed it to few places in Dublin and I must say that word "under qualified" applies to 95% of those PC support companies, especially for PC World. TBH i don't get it how does PC World manages their business, how they keep it open on the whole??
    and it's not just this akward problem.. but what ever comes to a bit more technical than "what size of screen would I need in my room?" I cannot find an expert in this town :confused: The same goes with cars problems btw :(

So thanks God boards.ie exists and we are telling you PC World is overpriced and under qualified for sure.
    It's the best if your friend has some local electric fix shop nearby and ask them do they have experience in opening/fixing laptop? if do, they might get smthg done for 30-40eur.
    Ofcourse, ask them first to test another charger- they should have universal ones where you can set voltage and amperes according original charger.

A lot of these "experts" will just tell you that the mobo needs to be replaced. It is usually a quick solder job.

As for cars try mkw Motors off the naas road, they genuinely know what they are talking about. I have no affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Exuberant

Thanks a million for all the useful information guys! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

If you really need to get at the data fast then hop out the hard-drive and plug it into a different computer, preferably a desktop. This is very easy if both support SATA (pretty much anything within the last five years or so should) though if it's an IDE laptop then that requires an adapter and if it's a SATA drive in the laptop then the alternative computer will need to have a SATA connection.

As said, it's probably a simple solder job to get the computer working again but in the meantime at least the required files can be got at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement