Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marble City Cyclers Beginners spins.

Options
  • 11-04-2011 10:43pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone interested in taking up cycling, recently bought a bike or would like to improve as a cyclist and would like to have a bit of craic while doing it, our hugely popular beginners spins are starting from Monday next the 18/04/11. They start from the castle at 18h50. These are perfect for anyone who is interested in getting into cycling or training for a summer charity or long cycle. If you require any further information a fair few of our committee members are boardsies so you're questions will be answered fairly lively. Our website is www.marblecitycyclers.com.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Sweenox

I might head for a few spins man,picking up a road bike soon just to get the fitness up for DH racing.What kind of distance are the beginner spins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Tony Leonard

Hi Id love to join as a beginner in portlaoise but doubt i would make it over in time. do you plan any weekend runs or can you put me in touch with anyone in the laois area doing the same?
    thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Hi Tony,
    Judging by what you posted in the cycling forum, it sounds like you're past the beginners stage. Our beginners spins are for total beginners, although I'd say a gang of us would head off for a bit further afterwards. I don't know which part of Laois you're in but there is Laois Cycling & Touring Club up there somewhere and there's also Deenside Wheelers based in Castlecomer. Carlow Road Cycling Club have beginners spins on Sunday mornings which are about two hours long. Alternatively in the broomwagon of the cycling forum there's always someone looking for company. I usually head for a cycle after work from Carlow, heading through Arles, Pedigree Corner, Comer, Kanes Bridge and back into Carlow, I'll be doing 65km this evening if you're interested? Leaving at 6pm(ish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Tony Leonard

Thanks Havoc, well i've only got my bike two / three weeks ago. Id class myself as very much beginner ha although eager beginner. I work in Dublin so I would never make it to you in time although I do appreciate the offer. I havent been on a road bike since my mid teens and that was to get to football training so im concerned I will either under or over train for the maracycle :rolleyes: i will try getting in touch with the guys you mentioned in laois as going out alone definitely slows you down I have found already.
    I might get over some weekend though if i get confident enough I could keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

What kind of bike are you recommending. I have a basic mountain bike that I picked up for about €150 last year. Would this be suitable?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's not about the bike, it's about the rider. If you have a track or foot pump at home, put whatever pressure the side of the tyre recommends into it and see how you go. You wouldn't be the first or last person to do it on a mountain bike.

Are these spins still going? Got my road bike and would be interested in doing a few

Sweenox wrote: »
    Are these spins still going? Got my road bike and would be interested in doing a few

Yes they are. We're doing a 40km spin next Monday evening, it's a lot easier in a group than on your own, so if you're worried about that, don't be. What did you get?

Cheers sure ill give it a go. Got a Claude butler san remo. Is that spin starting at 18 50 too?

Sweenox wrote: »
    Cheers sure ill give it a go. Got a Claude butler san remo. Is that spin starting at 18 50 too?

Nice bike. Yep, 18h50 at the castle gate.

• Advertisement

Nice one,see ye there

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hmm really should get back on the bike now that Cork Marathon is done and dusted,

Advertisement