Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry vs Alternatives

Options
  • 11-04-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Hopefully not too simplistic but I currently have a BBerry and use it alot for email (via POP accounts) but as you know the operators charge a monthly fee for email/internet service. I was thinking of replacing my BB with an alterntative and just using WiFi from here on in, what (apart from iphone) are the best alternatives and are there any real downfalls to not having email via BBerry?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Depends on what your really need from the phone. I dont really think theres a feature that Windows Phone, Android or iPhone doesnt have that Bberries do.

Pop email accounts are supported by all three.

What else is really important for you in a bberry that you will need on a different platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I think the way the other devices handle email is very different to a Blackberry. Email is so simple on a Blackberry. Even attachments are so much easier to handle on a Blackberry. Have you seen the new prices for Blackberry services on Meteor? I pay 40 euro per month for classic flex max sim only with unlimited data and anytime land line calls and blackberry services. Meteor will also be launching blackberry pre pay too very soon.

If I was to switch from a Blackberry to another device I'd probably go for an android powered device above the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Tipp-Boy wrote: »
    what (apart from iphone) are the best alternatives and are there any real downfalls to not having email via BBerry?
    Thanks in advance.

The great thing about Blackberries is emails ending up on your phone as soon as they've been sent to you. Thankfully the same thing happens with the gmail app on Android, but I can't really comment on other mail providers or the built in email client... (especially via pop)

But yeah, Android all the way... I guess you could always buy something like the ZTE Blade first to test the waters rather than splashing out a silly amount of money on a phone then deciding you don't like Android after a week of use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

tman wrote: »
    But yeah, Android all the way... I guess you could always buy something like the ZTE Blade first to test the waters rather than splashing out a silly amount of money on a phone then deciding you don't like Android after a week of use

Have You ever heard of anyone who tried and doesn't like Android after a week? :confused:
    I've a friend with an iPhone 4 envious of mine, saying thats his next move

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I moved from a Blackberry to a Samsung Galaxy S about a month ago and I am very happy with the change. The main reason I moved was the keyboard on the Blackberry was too small. The Galaxy is easier to use and I forwarded my mail to a Gmail account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Tipp-Boy

Yes -I'm very happy with the email on Bberry, its uber reliant and always depdendable. I have about 6 email addresses (gmail, work email via pop) running on it but if alternatives available that I don't need to pay €240 a year (€20 a month on Vodafone) then I'd be open to it. So it looks like Android op system then!

Tipp-Boy wrote: »
    Yes -I'm very happy with the email on Bberry, its uber reliant and always depdendable. I have about 6 email addresses (gmail, work email via pop) running on it but if alternatives available that I don't need to pay €240 a year (€20 a month on Vodafone) then I'd be open to it. So it looks like Android op system then!

Fyi vodafone have a simply plus plan. 400mins, 400 sms, free vodafone to vodafone calls and texts plus 500mbs data which can be used with a blackberry. All incl. 40 euro per month. It might help you make a decision. You have to be out of contract at the moment to switch:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/paymonthly/simply/plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If you decide on Android, I wouldn't go forwarding all your emails to your gmail though, try the stock email app and if thats not good enough get a better one from the market (stock one is fine for me set to 15mins).

A good tip is to backup all your contacts as .csv and import them into Gmail as Google contacts, then you won't need to use sim or phone contacts on the phone and they'll all be backed up to your Google account, its much handier this way, you can then merge and edit them on your pc

Edit: Just to add that you can get the phone to link Google, Facebook, Twitter contacts etc. and merge them, and then just set the phone to show contacts with phone numbers only in your contacts list. Its cool as you get images and avatars for some of them from Facebook and Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

PogMoThoin wrote: »

A good tip is to backup all your contacts as .csv and import them into Gmail as Google contacts, then you won't need to use sim or phone contacts on the phone and they'll all be backed up to your Google account, its much handier this way, you can then merge and edit them on your pc

I have done this with my outlook contacts and it works well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

joolsveer wrote: »
    I have done this with my outlook contacts and it works well.

You can also use google sync on the Blackberry to sync your contacts beforehand.
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Have You ever heard of anyone who tried and doesn't like Android after a week? :confused:
    I've a friend with an iPhone 4 envious of mine, saying thats his next move

Android phones aren't suited to the average phone users imo, you have to be a bit of a nerd in order to get the most out of them... If the average user bought a ZTE blade, they would easily be put off Android for life due to how bloated and sluggish it is out of the box (the same can be said for more expensive models too). Whereas someone like me buys one, roots it, installs a custom rom, overclocks the **** out of it and then decides that I love Android so much that I might just sell a testicle in order to fund the purchase of a Galaxy S II whenever it launches...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

You can also use google sync on the Blackberry to sync your contacts beforehand.

Android phones aren't suited to the average phone users imo, you have to be a bit of a nerd in order to get the most out of them... If the average user bought a ZTE blade, they would easily be put off Android for life due to how bloated and sluggish it is out of the box (the same can be said for more expensive models too). Whereas someone like me buys one, roots it, installs a custom rom, overclocks the **** out of it and then decides that I love Android so much that I might just sell a testicle in order to fund the purchase of a Galaxy S II whenever it launches...

I have a Galaxy S and I have not flashed it etc. I love Android and I have not been a tech nerd...

If you've gmail then contacts and calander sync over the air via BIS. No google sync app needed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

No one has mentioned the main advantage - battery life. With push email, you are struggling to keep the Galaxy/Omnia/iPhone lasting the full day. Gotten 2 full days from the BB Torch with full push email for 4 email accounts, Facebook, web browsing and whatsapp. Best phone I have used in a long time for battery.

Advertisement