Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting started

• 11-04-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭

hey lads ive had an interest in anything with two wheels as far back as i can remember and i figure its about time i got up on a motorbike (im 21 with a full drivers license), ive been thinking of doing this for a good while, but the apparent complexity of the whole system has turned me off, i take it i need to redo a theory test for motorcycles? and then what exactly? ive read that i have to do some lessons with instructors to be allowed onto the roads, whats the craic after i do the theory, how long do i have to wait to do the full test (if there is one) and what does a full bike test consist of?
    any help would be great lads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

hey lads ive had an interest in anything with two wheels as far back as i can remember and i figure its about time i got up on a motorbike (im 21 with a full drivers license), ive been thinking of doing this for a good while, but the apparent complexity of the whole system has turned me off, i take it i need to redo a theory test for motorcycles? and then what exactly? ive read that i have to do some lessons with instructors to be allowed onto the roads, whats the craic after i do the theory, how long do i have to wait to do the full test (if there is one) and what does a full bike test consist of?
    any help would be great lads

-You will have to do another theory test (A/A1/M Category).

-Once you get the provisional Licence you will be required to do the IBT course. This is a 16 hour course that must be completed before you can ride on the roads

-You can not sit your test untill at least 6 months after youre issued your provisional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

-You will have to do another theory test (A/A1/M Category).

-Once you get the provisional Licence you will be required to do the IBT course. This is a 16 hour course that must be completed before you can ride on the roads

-You can not sit your test untill at least 6 months after youre issued your provisional

cool thanks, is the provisional license just one license for the 3 categories? what exactly does the full test comprise of? will i have some fela sitting with me on the bike?

1000th post :)

By the way whats insurance like for bikes? is it crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

cool thanks, is the provisional license just one license for the 3 categories? what exactly does the full test comprise of? will i have some fela sitting with me on the bike?

1000th post :)

By the way whats insurance like for bikes? is it crazy

Stick your details into Quinn and see what it throws back.

I am in the same boat, just starting out and tbh, reading the forum is good advice, i have gone back before xmas, just reading and its all good...i have my theory wed morning and nearly all of the questions i wanted to ask have been answered without me asking ! Dont be lazy ! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

+1

Read back along. Your question is one of the most common ones here. The only advice I'll give you is don't pucker about the IBT. Do it before you buy your own bike and treat it as a challenge in itself. It will give you confidence and it will save your a** too. The whole thing is a very challenging but fun process. Just keep doing the next thing in the sequence and you'll quickly find yourself bike shopping. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I'm in the same boat too. I have my theory test on Saturday. I could possibly sell you my theory test CD if you haven't got it. I don't think I will need it after Saturday providing I pass :D

I'm going to be doing my IBT training with David Lyons. He gives a discount if you do it with someone else. It's around 600 euro without a discount :eek: I'm hoping to do the 2 day intensive course. Not sure what his availabilty is like, so I may be waiting a few weeks since I can only do it on the weekend.

• Advertisement

600 euro :( holy hell, il go and try to set up the theory test...again (passed my car one by the skin of mt teeth :D ) is the bike theory test after getting bigger along with the car one lads? many different questions from it? i would be interested in taking that dvd off you Blackwizard if you pass, how much would you want for it? as for the IBT course, can i do it in kerry? and what exactly is it? is it like driving lessons?
    as for buying a bike, do ye think id be able to pick anything half decent up for around the 1000 mark?

thanks for all the help lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I was looking at a few different schools here in Leinster, not sure about Cork.
    ISM - http://www.ism.ie/index.php?page=ini...-cqH9k0bvZOky4
    Leinster Driving Campus - http://www.leinsterdrivingcampus.ie/ibt.html
    Bike Safe(David Lyons) - http://www.motorbiketraining.net/c_b_t_training.htm
    Motorcycle Safety Associates - http://www.msa-ireland.com/courses.htm#foundationcourse

They all seem to average around the same price. That 600 euro includes the bike, gear and insurance. Should of mentioned that.

Say about 8 euro? It shouldn't cost me much to post. Bought it in Easons for 20 something euro. It's newer than when I last done my car theory test a few years ago. It lets you choose your type of test (car, bike, truck etc) So different general questions to a few years ago and about 20% of the questions seem to be motorbike related.

I failed the sample test I done last night by 1 question. So the difficulty is the same as before. Get lucky and you pass, don't and you fail :D

I haven't even thought about purchasing a bike. Not seriously anyway but there seems to be a few bikes on donedeal.ie around that price range. They could be crap though :) . I read a really good thread(protective gear poll) in which someone said the costs of gear can reach up to 1000 euro. Less if you shop around and buy gear in Lidl/Aldi. So the bike isn't the only big expense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...do ye think id be able to pick anything half decent up for around the 1000 mark?...

Truthfully, IME, you will struggle but maybe you'll be lucky. The best thing to do is start looking for one but don't get ahead of yourself. I think for that money, you'll end up walking away from some heaps of crap before you find the proverbial diamond in the rough.

thanks guys il go about getting my theory sorted anyway as thats fairly cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

600 euro :( holy hell, il go and try to set up the theory test...again (passed my car one by the skin of mt teeth :D ) is the bike theory test after getting bigger along with the car one lads? many different questions from it? i would be interested in taking that dvd off you Blackwizard if you pass, how much would you want for it? as for the IBT course, can i do it in kerry? and what exactly is it? is it like driving lessons?
    as for buying a bike, do ye think id be able to pick anything half decent up for around the 1000 mark?

thanks for all the help lads

If you want to do the IBT in Kerry then you should call Niall Murphy at mill street motorcycle training. Check the link.
    http://www.roadskill.ie/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=39&Itemid=39

Good Luck

Roadskill

• Advertisement

oleras wrote: »
    Stick your details into Quinn and see what it throws back.

I am in the same boat, just starting out and tbh, reading the forum is good advice, i have gone back before xmas, just reading and its all good...i have my theory wed morning and nearly all of the questions i wanted to ask have been answered without me asking ! Dont be lazy ! ;)

40/40...woooooottttt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

oleras wrote: »
    40/40...woooooottttt :D

Congratz!

Congratz!

Cheers dude, will be doing my IBT with roadskill from here next week !

Bike was delivered today to me, 01sv650, in the garage and i must not be tempted !!!!!

I really should start a thread of my own on starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gardoyle27

hi all, i have just completed this after letting my last license lapse.

you first need your theory test for catagories a/a1/m
    then go and apply for your learners permit (formerly provisional Licence) in your local tax office.
    you then need to book your IBT (initial basic training) course. i done mine with Irish school of motoring,
    it consists of 4 modules, over ATLEAST 16 hours depending on how you get on.
    i also done my training on one of there bikes which was a 250cc (catagory A bike) if you do your training on an M catagory you will have to redo it to go to an A1 and the again to go to an A catagory bike. but if you do your training on an A catagorey bike it atoumatically gives you A1 and M. on completion of the course you are issued with a certificate. if you are stopped at a checkpoint or pulled by the gardai without the cert your screwed, also your insurance company will look for a copy of the cert.
    then your good to go on the road.
    you CANNOT apply for your test until you have held your learners permit for a 6 month period.
    I can't explain whats in the test because i have never done one for a bike, but my suggestion would be to book a pretest for a couple of weeks before your test to get you up to speed. i do know that you are given an earpiece and the tester gives you directions through this either from his car or bike.

Hope this helps
    Gar

Advertisement