Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby in UCD?

Options
  • 11-04-2011 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Just wondering what the standard and structure of rugby in UCD is. I played senior cup rugby this year and was wondering what level i should be pitching at

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

For who?

They usually have two u21 teams which means you should get a game one way or the other. They offer a good few scholarships so they usually have a decent team. Their AIL team are unbeaten this season in Div. 2 as far as I know, with those players having come through the u21 teams in the past.

I'd imagine the structure is the same as most clubs; U21 Premier + Pennant teams then Senior, J1, J2 teams etc.

So from the outside it looks like you could definitely do worse, I can't tell you much more than that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

UCD U21 won the All Ireland Cup against lansdowne yesterday.The standard of the 21's is very high, you'll probably have to put a year in on the 2nds before you can look at a starting place on the firsts unless you're very good (apply for the scholarship if this is the case, can't hurt..). Think they normally manage to put out three teams at 21's.

Not too sure bout the structure higher up, I know there's a social team and obviously the AIL team, but if you're just coming out of 6th year you only need to worry bout the 21s set up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

UCD has 6 or 7 teams overall.

The 1stXV who play in the AIL Div 2 and are unbeaten this season in the league and will be promoted.

The J1 finished their league season unbeaten and are doing well in the cup, the J2s finshed second in their league, the J4s are currently second in their league and into the quater finals of the cup.

At under 21 level there are the As, Bs and this season the Cs disbanded about half way through the season as they couldn't get numbers down. A couple moved up to the J4 team. The As and Bs are both very strong teams with excellent coaches, advice etc. That's the level you'll be playing at coming out of school.

Overall the club is excellently run (in my most unbiased opinion ;)). The facilites are probably unmatched in Ireland at club level, Leinster train in UCD and are moving their operations onto Belfield next season, which shows how high a standard it is. Brilliant coaches throughout the club, state of the art gym opening up sometime next year, new director of rugby, all weather pitch, fantastic changing facilities...

The club itself is also very supportive of eachother. You'll often see 1st/J1 players down supporting the J4s etc.

In fact the annual colours match is on this Saturday in Donnybrook KO@2.30, I encourage everyone to come watch it, always great craic.

Couldn't recommend the club more highly tbh.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Hartigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

How much is it in to that match Weebushy?

Soz for offtopic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I'm not sure, I think it was €10 last year. I'll post up when I find out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement