Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Enterprise Board funding (for wages)

Options
  • 12-04-2011 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Just curious as to what people's experiences are on this.

I have been putting together an idea for a new enterprise and though I have discussed it with a local funding body they have recommended I approach Enterprise Board as they can't actually help with running costs and my idea is a running costs dominant business idea, and no capital costs (which the other local funding body I approached provide to feasible projects).

I called in to my county enterprise board to make an appointment and was given some of the brochures and there is some info regarding help towards funding of wages which can include funding for yourself, the starter/creator of the enterprise. Says up to 7k available.

Does this translate in reality or is there a catch? Is it a loan for example? I'm going to be going in to meet with somebody in there in next 2 weeks and will no doubt learn more but that said would be grateful to hear about anybody's personal experiences on this issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

For EI it would need to be externally focused, i.e., export or services to outside Ireland. You would probably also need some matching funding. I doubt EI would do anything on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Sorry my bad, I meant the County Enterprise Board.

Have just changed the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

There is a grant of 7k available if you meet certain criteria - this is based on you paying (the employee or yourself) a certain salary, you receive half initially and half after 6 months (I think) but you have to prove you paid the salary by showing tax deduction cards, receipts from revenue etc. It's not repayable (other CEB grants are) so can work out very well if you're approved for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheLoneRanger

dont waste your time and dreams on a fickle few thaare there to substancete there own wage real 1/2 of the budget goes on their own wages 1/4 goes on their buddy appointed mentor and trainng programmes so unless you have a favoritism pic on this you aint getting any help i know dont waste your time and build your dreas

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cloonton

pog_it, if you've been paying tax at all over the last few years, then check out www.revenue.ie and search for IT15. They have a seed capital scheme where people setting up qualifying new businesses can get the tax that they've paid over the last few years back - even if it was PAYE, as far as I know. I know this doesn't directly relate to your question, but every little helps when you're starting out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

pog it wrote: »
    Just curious as to what people's experiences are on this.

I have been putting together an idea for a new enterprise and though I have discussed it with a local funding body they have recommended I approach Enterprise Board as they can't actually help with running costs and my idea is a running costs dominant business idea, and no capital costs (which the other local funding body I approached provide to feasible projects).

I called in to my county enterprise board to make an appointment and was given some of the brochures and there is some info regarding help towards funding of wages which can include funding for yourself, the starter/creator of the enterprise. Says up to 7k available.

Does this translate in reality or is there a catch? Is it a loan for example? I'm going to be going in to meet with somebody in there in next 2 weeks and will no doubt learn more but that said would be grateful to hear about anybody's personal experiences on this issue.

The CEB's haven't the price of a pair of stamps to lend to any business for any reason. They are currently doing a truly wonderful job of covering all of this up, by saying that they will "match" funds. If you had 10K or 5K, what would you be doing going to a CEB in the first place???

The people who run every local CEB are politically appointed stoogies who are on a mission to ride out this recession, without supporting a single business financially, while keeping their local office open and folks in handy well paid numbers.

Do yourself a favour OP and keep these idiots well and truly out of any plans that you have to start a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭MyBusinez.com

cloonton wrote: »
    pog_it, if you've been paying tax at all over the last few years, then check out www.revenue.ie and search for IT15. They have a seed capital scheme where people setting up qualifying new businesses can get the tax that they've paid over the last few years back - even if it was PAYE, as far as I know. I know this doesn't directly relate to your question, but every little helps when you're starting out!

Hi Cloonton,
    Just having a look at the IT15 form. Didn't it expire in 2006? I wouldn't trust anything pre-2009 to be honest. The year of the "unpleasantness"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

A client of mine was given the run around by their local CEB. They're expanding massively and will also be involved in exporting, potentially globally. Still got nowhere after several meetings, just empty promises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheLoneRanger

Hi my one bit advice is don't waste your time and energy with these self serving entitity's they are a sham and missleading people and an absurd,waste of good tax payers money and a budgetry cost to the state we can ill afford in these times less than 1/5 of the budget will go directly into new business set ups as the rest go's to wages of staff and their friendly appointed mentors and buddys training courses it is shameful that they can live with their abuse of the system. " MAN'S GREED WILL CONSUME THE EARTH" Jesus Christ how right he was all those years ago lol

Advertisement