Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about resolutions and anti-aliasing.

Options
  • 12-04-2011 3:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭

Gah, sorry. Is there a difference with 1600x900 and 1366x768 in terms of needing a good rig to run the higher resolution? Some of the laptops have the higher resolution as standard but I don't want it if it'll be too difficult to have games running on it well compared to the 1366x768.

I have a horrible graphics card in my laptop and as such, the best resolution I can manage for games is usually 800 x 600 for new ones; they obviously look very bad. My first question is based on games that are both on a console (Fallout, Call of Duty, etc) and on PCs, can you get better graphics on the same games on the PC but without going above a 1366x768 resolution?

Secondly, would a 1366x768 resolution be good for a laptop but how would it compare in terms of gaming for a PC to a console? In that, I would prefer to play certain games on my laptop at 1366x768 instead of a TV and console and still have them as good looking on my laptop as they are on my TV? I know this depends on the graphics card and CPU but let's say a fairly decent i5 and NVidia 555m with 3GB RAM and 4GB system RAM

Thirdly, what's the relationship between anti-aliasing and resolution?
    See, the resolution I would have for max in the laptop I want would be 1366x768. But if I were to use max AA (or whatever would be most suited to looking like the console versions), would it be best doing that or trying to buy a screen that is 1920 x 1080 and no AA?

Finally... what the heck is the difference between anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering? I know af can usually go higher up to 16 but I still don't know what they do.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Gah, sorry. noted in advance Is there a difference with 1600x900 and 1366x768 in terms of needing a good rig to run the higher resolution? a smidge but no not really - well, not all games will support the latter natively Some of the laptops have the higher resolution as standard but I don't want it if it'll be too difficult to have games running on it well compared to the 1366x768. you have the right idea, more res = more power

I have a horrible graphics card in my laptop and as such, the best resolution I can manage for games is usually 800 x 600 for new ones; they obviously look very bad. My first question is based on games that are both on a console (Fallout, Call of Duty, etc) and on PCs, can you get better graphics on the same games on the PC but without going above a 1366x768 resolution? depends on the game

Secondly, would a 1366x768 resolution be good for a laptop but how would it compare in terms of gaming for a PC to a console? In that, I would prefer to play certain games on my laptop at 1366x768 instead of a TV and console and still have them as good looking on my laptop as they are on my TV? you can crunch higher settings at lower resolutions, so typically, yes? I know this depends on the graphics card and CPU but let's say a fairly decent i5 and NVidia 555m with 3GB RAM and 4GB system RAM 555m's dont support that much VRAM?

Thirdly, what's the relationship between anti-aliasing and resolution? google it.but you guessed it right:
    See, the resolution I would have for max in the laptop I want would be 1366x768. But if I were to use max AA (or whatever would be most suited to looking like the console versions), would it be best doing that or trying to buy a screen that is 1920 x 1080 and no AA? you have the idea right about low res and AA (AA is more important at lower res) but x4 AA is easy enough to pull off, getting a big laptop is a whole other issue of performance and power consumption, and weight. and heat.

Finally... what the heck is the difference between anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering? I know af can usually go higher up to 16 but I still don't know what they do. google it. AF is related to AA but instead of blurring/smoothing it keeps sharp detail on textures when they're viewed at awkward angles.

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Why a gaming laptop?

For the specs of the laptop above you could buy a decent laptop for use as a actual laptop and a good gaming desktop/monitor.

Advertisement