Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packing hospital bag-help please!

Options
  • 12-04-2011 6:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi, i am 31weeks and 2days and am wondering if its too early to pack my hospital bag, or when i should do it? Also can anyone tell me what goes in it exactly? Thanks :) x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Never too early (says the girl who packed her bag the night before her waters broke on number 1 and while she was in early labour with number two...)...

There's a list around somewhere of what to pack... I'll try dig it up for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Checklist attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

only had quick look at the list and for the baby they forgot bibs for baby. I need a lot as my baby loved to dribble and had to change sheets constantly in hosp cause she'd cover it with milky dribbles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I would just say that having dark coloured night clothes for yourself is essential. I had a dark nightie for the labour ward and black pjs for after (Dunnes for €12) - much easier to deal with massive maternity pads in pjs and easier to deal with leaks if they are black (or any other dark colour). I also had a black bath towel.

I think 8 sets of clothes for the baby is a bit over the top, you could half that and get someone to bring you in more if you end up being kept in for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

From talking to friends I would bring croc style shoes rather than flip flops for the shower.

There are pairs in Dunnes at the moment for a few euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

Hi
    Would recommend the M*thercare Maternity Pads aswell if you havent got any yet..I found the green ones used to move around quite alot especially if your getting up with babs.The m*othercare ones are just like bigger sanitary towels and have the sticky bit on the back..Think their a bit more expensive but great if you may be a bit self conscious with visitors calling.
    Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

For your hospital bag, pack some nutritious cereal bars that will tide you over if you get hungry late at night or early in the morning. In the coombe we had our evening meal at 5 and there was nothing else to eat until 8 the next morning. My appetite was bird like in the last few weeks probably because the baby was pressing on my stomach but as soon as he was born I was ravenous.

If you're intending to breastfeed you'll be starving all the time so it's important to have a stash of something tasty yet nutritious to eat. My husband brought me in a huge pack of sandwiches which I shared with other women on the ward but cereal bars were more convenient because I was busy feeding the baby through the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

This may sound silly, but pack really nice toiletries for yourself - cleanser, toner, moisturiser and so on. It'll make you feel so much better and more like yourself afterwards. Think fancy weekend away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Agree with howstrange...bring FOOD! Was starving after having baby only got toast. Had her just after dinner so missed out on that and ended up eating a whole box of milk tray cos I was starving and nothing else to eat til * in the morning! Iirc they used to give you tea at 10pm or so but the obviously stopped that. Also plenty of pyjamas. At least 3 pairs. 4 outfits for baby should be loads and dont forget hat mittens and cardigan. And nappies for baby too. prob a packet just in case.

Advertisement