Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16.5 week old baby up four times a night.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We know from research in Dublin that majority intro solids at 4 months whether breast fed or not. Why should rules be different for breastfeeders. The area of weaning is an inexact science. Every country different recommendations. Delayed weaning may be dangerous if look at risk of coeliac disease and certain food allergies.

From everything we are thought as new parents we are thought that early weaning poses greater risks of food allergies and bread before 6 months can increase the risk of coeliac disease greatly and before 1 increases the risk.
    I am not questioning your knowledge as you say that you are an expert in the field but would be very interested to know more.

As for sleeping don't panic relax ,don't be too militant about she should do this at this time and this at this time and oh no her bottle is 10 minutes late, and oh now she hasn't done this yet. Pharmacists and Public health nurse are brilliant free resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Spiderman68

Apologise if confusion. Consensus is not always based on science. We have not weaned before 6 months therefore will continue to do so . There is emerging evidence that delaying introduction of wheat (after 6 months) may actually increase risk of coeliac. see bda.uk.com
    Likewise we've always avoided nut in early life but food allergies continue to rise. In Israel they introduce 'nut lollies' in infancy to placate fractious kids. They don't have a problem with nut allergy. Personally I don't advocate nut in young children more for risk of aspiration rather than allergy issue.

I simply comment that practice is very different to recommendations. Irish women tend to wean earlier than 6 months . In my view and that of community no harm done. Solids should not be introduced before 4 months agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Dean3y, I'd just like to say thanks because as a result of your opening post showing the nap times etc I saw that I wasn't putting my little fella down for proper naps and that was probably why he was so cranky. I never realised they could get tired so quickly after getting up.

Now I put him down for naps throughout the day and it's like we have a totally different baba!

It's a pity they don't come with user manuals so we'd know what we're supposed to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dean3y

Dean3y, I'd just like to say thanks because as a result of your opening post showing the nap times etc I saw that I wasn't putting my little fella down for proper naps and that was probably why he was so cranky. I never realised they could get tired so quickly after getting up.

Now I put him down for naps throughout the day and it's like we have a totally different baba!

It's a pity they don't come with user manuals so we'd know what we're supposed to do!

Awe that's good! ☺ a manual would sure be a good help! ☺
    Things are improving for me too. I get 5.5hours straight at night now! Thanks to all for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dean3y

Hello all,
    I might have been a bit premature with my comment above on how things improved- that might have been a fluke.

This is now my typical schedule: ☻
    7.30am - up
    8am 5oz and 1tsp rice
    9.30am Nap 40 mins
    10.30 2oz
    11.15 1oz ( couldnt get him to drink more)
    12.15 Nap ( while i took him out for a walk) 1.5hr
    2.00 6.5oz
    3.50 nap 40mins
    5.30 apple & 2oz
    6.30 bath
    6.50 5oz
    7.30 Finally went to sleep after a battle
    8.30 Woke again looking for bottle- only took 1oz ( I know this is bad habit!)
    10.50 1.5oz ( couldnt take more coz of wind that I cannot help him get up)
    12.30 4oz
    3.30 Tried water- no luck -so only gave 2oz
    4.50 tried water again- no luck- screamed the house down- 2 more oz
    6.00 Same story, 1 oz
    7.10 awake for the day, and cannot take a full bottle- so far only 4oz

That's how yesterday panned out. I am trying everything. I perserver with bottles to get as much into him as possible during the day.
    It's just getting worse. he goes for naps 3 times a day now, goes down in his cot no prob, but night time is so different since the clocks changed, its a battle ( i try the PU/PD....

• Advertisement
Advertisement